Criminal Girls official info thread (read this first)

They're criminals. They're girls. They're criminal girls!
Teddie Sage
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: Criminal Girls official info thread (read this first)

Postby Teddie Sage » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Beedlebud wrote:Oh yeah. This game isn't even coming out till 2015. This is going be a fun 5+ months of discussion :ugeek:

We already ran out of things to be said after the first thread got locked. Now people are just reacting on reactions.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:24 pm

vampko wrote:
Daverost wrote:
Houk wrote:It's a different developer, which means the game was built in a completely different way. The technical hurdles we faced with that game were different than the ones here, so we're able to approach it in a different way.

Seems like you could have made similar sound cuts (just replace the sound files with empty ones, as you would for dubbed audio) and steam alterations to the underlying CG.

What kind of technical hurdle could have prevented those?

CH's poor programming for one

Which would be completely irrelevant here. All they would do is replace the sound clips with empty sound files that play a split second clip of silence and make an edit to an image that already exists in the game files. The code would call it the same way as long as you don't edit the resource's name.

Boom, censored on the Criminal Girls level. Repeat sound file trick for the dub track. Even -I- could do it. I wouldn't count on the steam looking very good, though. I'm terrible with Photoshop effects.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

1MegaMan10
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby 1MegaMan10 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Daverost wrote:
Which would be completely irrelevant here. All they would do is replace the sound clips with empty sound files that play a split second clip of silence and make an edit to an image that already exists in the game files. The code would call it the same way as long as you don't edit the resource's name.

Boom, censored on the Criminal Girls level. Repeat sound file trick for the dub track. Even -I- could do it. I wouldn't count on the steam looking very good, though. I'm terrible with Photoshop effects.

You can just replace sound files in many games and not have a problem, but as stated before, CH are not good programmers. Mugen Souls is definitely not a hallmark in programing, and thus their bad programing could interfere. It's not always an easy paste job. If the code they made is crappy enough, changing the sound and image files could cause a crash or bugs to occur. I do understand this is not true in many cases, since mods for PC games exist, but it is absolutely a possibility, and something that might take too long to fix for a reasonable release window. This wasn't necessarily a question of is it possible, but is it a hurdle that can be overcome fast enough to meet deadlines.

If you look at Mugen Souls' English release, you can see that they just cut the mini game out, but made no change to the initial bath house menu, thus things like steam percent are still present. It was easier to translate and edit that part of the menu, leaving that part a bit unprofessional since steam percent means nothing in this version, then just getting rid of it. This lends credence to the idea they being not great programers can cause problems.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:14 am

It is possible that CH just didn't want to bother with doing any code, and just flipped the switch on skipping the game (which was an option normally), and told NISA it was 'too much work'
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

tilinelson2
Vassal
Vassal

Postby tilinelson2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:51 am

In my correspondence with PEGI, I have found that things said about PEGI are factually incorrect.

First, PEGI doesn't demand any changes do game content. They can't do that, as their job is just to rate games. Besides, according to their guidelines, a game can have a rating refused if they conclude that the publisher was dishonest when sending information about the game for rating, so that they can strip the PEGI rating and fine the company.

Then, PEGI give advice to publishers to consider removing things from the games that they think may lead them to face problems, since they admit laws in European countries are not as clear as in Japan or US. Whatever advice they may have given to NISA, Ghostlight, etc, does not represent in any way what exactly should or should not be done to avoid problems, because they don't know what will happen. Ivar from PEGI said about Ghostlight decision that it was the most sensible thing to do from a publisher's point of view.

So, PEGI does not determine what kind of content is allowed and what kind of content is not. Besides rating the games according to their guidelines, they give advice regarding to the possibility of the companies having their games banned in certain countries or facing other kinds of legal charges. And Ivar from PEGI also stated that there is no correct or incorrect way of dealing with this issue (drawings and animations of underage characters in sexual situations) because it is an unclear topic with no defined rule to follow.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:58 am

This is all nothing new.

What you're missing is the fact that he's not saying they won't give a game a rating that makes it unable to be sold. They don't determine what will be rated, but they do determine how it will be. Which has been the issue all along.

tilinelson2
Vassal
Vassal

Postby tilinelson2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 am

Seventh wrote:This is all nothing new.

What you're missing is the fact that he's not saying they won't give a game a rating that makes it unable to be sold. They don't determine what will be rated, but they do determine how it will be. Which has been the issue all along.

There is no such a thing in European outlets that will make the game unable to be sold, unlike ESRB's AO. So, in regards to PEGI, it has never been an issue, therefore all the references to PEGI ratings as what could be or not be a problem in European countries are wrong.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 am

So Sony is completely cool with a game about, say, nazis assaulting a bunch of kids coming out in Europe?

You have to consider Sony can also say the game can't be sold on their platform.

1MegaMan10
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby 1MegaMan10 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:39 am

vampko wrote:It is possible that CH just didn't want to bother with doing any code, and just flipped the switch on skipping the game (which was an option normally), and told NISA it was 'too much work'

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:36 am

Seventh wrote:So Sony is completely cool with a game about, say, nazis assaulting a bunch of kids coming out in Europe?

You have to consider Sony can also say the game can't be sold on their platform.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was released PEGI-18 in the EU on the Playstation 3. Not exactly what you're asking, but relatively close. So PEGI-18 isn't an issue, as in doesn't make a game unsellable like it does in the USA, pretty good to know.
BDSMKane wrote:A defective product was released by NIS America on March 25, 2014.....and any support for that product is(by all appearances) non-existent. That's the core issue, and it reeks of poor business ethics.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am

I meant more along the lines of the "assault" people say this game supposedly is "like," actually. :(

PEGI 18 seems to be primarily geared towards violence though, though it does apply to other stuff too.

gamegodtrebor
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby gamegodtrebor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Seventh wrote:So Sony is completely cool with a game about, say, nazis assaulting a bunch of kids coming out in Europe?

Games sony has allowed on their console with far worse violent content
Manhunt
Manhunt 2
with these two being big ones.
Grand Theft Auto
Saints Row
God of War
Dantes Inferno
I believe these to be far more violent, also sony allows modern warfare 2 where you can shoot up a airport so i do not see them having a problem with your premise.

Anyway on to what i wished to ask since i rarely bother talking on forums, i would much rather watch and have watched these forums for about the last 2 years since Mugen Souls debacle which made me laugh a hardy har.

First to all those who complain about censorship and want to play the game or even to those who want this game but feel a little uneasy about supporting censorship i have the solutions for you

1. buy the game used at your favorite retailer - NISA gets nothing for this so you have not supported the release

2. Watch the entire game on a lets play.

Now on to my questions for the Houk

1. Does either Pegi or the ESRB rate games in japanese i have seen the japanese games on psn so i was wondering?

2. How much does it cost to get a game reviewed and how would i start said process?

3. What is the sales data on games sold on your online store vs retail?
in percentage format
i.e 30 percent retail vs 70 percent online

4. can we see a comparison of the before and after with the added steam?

5. if 4 could not be answered immediately when will we get to see the comparison.

6 could taking the audio out possibly raise the rating by making the punishment segments far more creepier then with the moans?

7. since the audio is now removed will the visuals of the girls be changed to include gags?

8.i believe you made mention of story alterations, will this involve rewriting greeds teenage prostitution backstory?

That is really all i can think of for questions, except for this last one why not release a if it were to get rated AO a AO version via your website, with the sound files still in the game, is this do to sony not allowing AO games on their system, since changing sound files from a silenced file to the original shouldn't take much work if it is anything like a pc visual novel. I can fully understand the alteration with the steam since i have no clue how you plan to add it that removing it may be more difficult then just swapping sound files.

Now for my comment on the censorship itself, while i can not support this game due to the censorship on it and will probably buy it secondhand, unless of course its download only in which case i just will not buy it at all, even though it looks like a very appealing game, i find only two answers to everyones problem for if Houk statements have been true if the game gets released and is a M i am more then willing to side that Houk told the truth that the moaning may have gotten it a AO rating, however if it gets a T rating my belief will swing opposite since none of the following games got a AO with the following gameplay

saints row the third where you get to play in a certain race look it up if u wish

senran kagura burst where bandaids are appropriate attire

Southpark the stick of truth where you can probe a certain body area and to seventh from before it has Nazis trying to kill kids

Monpieces rubbing gameplay with moans.
I could go on but i do not feel like it

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Seriously, it's right there on the first post wrote:Q: What about this other game that seems to have much worse content? If game X was okay, shouldn't this one be okay?
A: Since we weren't involved with games from any other company, we can't comment on their ratings or content. You would have to discuss that with the rating boards that actually reviewed them, or the companies that released them. We can only make decisions based on our direct discussions with the rating boards.

Do you guys want this thread to be locked too? :?

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Sony probably wouldn't care that much if that content some how got past the rating boards with a M rating,or equivalent.To my knowledge Sony has never taken a stance against controversial content that is purely fictional ,which is probably why Rockstar is still allowed to produce games with controversial content even after all the backlashes,lawsuits,and media frenzy.

Mr.Mister
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Mr.Mister » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Yes you do it you just very simple.

There is no reason why you should close the thread.
Give me one reason why you should close this thread.

Seriously, it's right there on the first post hat geschrieben:Q: What about this other game that seems to have much worse content? If game X was okay, shouldn't this one be okay?
A: Since we weren't involved with games from any other company, we can't comment on their ratings or content. You would have to discuss that with the rating boards that actually reviewed them, or the companies that released them. We can only make decisions based on our direct discussions with the rating boards.

Do you guys want this thread to be locked too? :?

If you set this familiar.

You know that this FQA supposed to meet only the purpose to silence as many censorship opponents as possible.

And that I did something mean.
Instead of times to sit properly, sometimes for a whole hour to think properly, and then to argue reasonable times makes you what?

Correct the exact opposite.

Seriously. What is the all nonsense.
Why so much hate? Why so much aggression?

Is it really so hard to understand that we don't want censorship.

Is it really so hard to understand that there are just too many inconsistencies.

An Unofficial conversation with the ESRB is not just believable as long as there is no evidence that has really found it instead.

Or why you can not say or show what content was shown simple?

I just have a bad feeling about the whole thing.

Return to “Criminal Girls”