Blazing Souls: Accelate Tru review

Give your reviews on the latest games!

Blazing Souls: Accelate Tru review

Postby metlspaz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Story
Our Story begins when Zelos, a mercenary for hire, comes across a core elemental--a mysterious stone infused with a powerful magic. His dicovery marks an epic journey against the world and creatures known as human genomes--a species thought to be created by God as a replacement for mankind. One thirsts for power, another hopes to retrieve what was lost, and another seeks only the destruction of humanity. Through his struggles, Zelos will discover the secrets of the world...and the dark truth behind his existence.

The story of this game is quite captivating and suspenseful. However it is an annoyance that the description of this game, doesn't take place until about 1/4 of the way in. However the idea is quite unique.

You will be playing as a character named Zelos, a person who cares not for the world and its problems that believes power solves problems.

The story keeps the player entertained and is more thought out than one would think at a first glance, and it can change depending on how one does in-game. How you choose to go through is up to you.
Score: 9.5/10

Graphics
This games sports sprites in about the same definition as the non-HD Disgaea games, or an improved version of FFT. Although it does not have more than 10 seconds of animated cutscenes, the cut-ins are masterfully drawn, and the attacks/specials rival the insanity and attractiveness of games such as Disgaea, and an improvement from it's prequel, Spectral Souls. You can earn a vast collection of Art depending on what choices you make in the game, which are also beautiful.
Score: 9.5/10

Music
The music is similar to its prequel, Spectral Souls, but you won't be paying much attention to it once you enter gameplay itself. you will be paying more attention to the nicely voiced cutscenes and specials (all specials are voiced over with unique lines) It is similar to FFT, but can be annoyingly high- strung at times.
Score: 7/10

Gameplay
It has the same as its original release on the PS2, with some newly added characters. Instead of MP or SP, this game features the AP. a point system that ranks attacks based on their level and determines how many times you can attack in one turn. If you have 15 AP, and an attack costs 3, you can choose that attack 5 times. However moving always costs 6 AP.
The game is fun, but requires the collection of Alias's (things that give you abilities in and outside of battle) and a lot of level grinding to finish the story even, and the post-game.
It also features an Action mode, where you can enter a stage, and either manipulate its environment, or solve its puzzle to get to its next area, but after a certain number of actions, you are thrown into battle. It is an interesting twist, and fun for puzzle solvers, otherwise seems like a timewaster trying to collect the proper Alias to tackle the area.
The battles though are similar to all TRPGs, with the grid system, turn based, but with crazy team attacks, special attacks, and combos.
Levelling up in this game is not like final fantasy however, where you get a set number of points in each stat. Dependent on your level, upon level up, you are given Level points, which you can choose to allocate to a characters stats. either improve their weaknesses, or make them a powerhouse, it's all up to you
you will lose hours of sleep with this game
Score: 8.5/10

Replay Value
This game features a new game+ just like its PS2 version, which allows you to keep your items but converts all your characters back to level 1, however it rewards you with something known as PP (party points) based on your levels from the previous game. these allow you to increase stats, much like level points. Also this is the only way to recieve a complete picture album, however you would need to replay about 10 times to completely make it.
Score:8/10

Difficulty
The system that this game runs on makes it incredibly difficult for new players, and not in a good way. the map is like a dartboard where you have to guess where the next location is with a set number of WP (work points) once you run out of WP, it'll be a while before you get enough to search again.
However once you get into the game, it becomes a pattern and you get used to it. The level gap between the latter levels makes it much like disgaea where you need to level grind to oppose the tyrants of a boss. Also the boss even if you are dozens of levels above, can usually one-shot you once angry.
It takes strategy to a new level, good or bad is up to you. but you'll need it to survive.
But some battles tend to be a little too predictable, however every map is different offering different ways to strategize to tackle each map.
Score: 7.5/10

Overall
This game is definately worth checking out. for new players it is highly reccommended to get a guide or seek help to tackle the first few missions, afterwards it becomes a pattern. It offers well-over 40 hours of gameplay. Check it out if you like TRPGs that are gridbased.

Final Score: 8.3/10

This is my first review, but I believe this game deserved a chance after I heard others misguided views on it.
metlspaz
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Blazing Souls: Accelate Tru review

Postby Clephas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I wouldn't have given the story such a high rating, but I do think that Perrandy's review was a bit too harsh at times... Blazing Souls doesn't suffer as much from IF's usual screw-ups, but that just makes it a decent to better than average rpg at best. I wouldn't give it quite as high a rating as you have... Also, while Perrandy is definitely too harsh, he isn't wrong about certain aspects of the game's system. I enjoyed the game greatly, but that was mostly because I was accustomed to the kind of crap that IF has a tendency to put its fans through. I am a Neverland universe fan more than anything else, so that enhanced the experience for me.
Clephas
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Blazing Souls: Accelate Tru review

Postby metlspaz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Clephas wrote:I wouldn't have given the story such a high rating, but I do think that Perrandy's review was a bit too harsh at times... Blazing Souls doesn't suffer as much from IF's usual screw-ups, but that just makes it a decent to better than average rpg at best. I wouldn't give it quite as high a rating as you have... Also, while Perrandy is definitely too harsh, he isn't wrong about certain aspects of the game's system. I enjoyed the game greatly, but that was mostly because I was accustomed to the kind of crap that IF has a tendency to put its fans through. I am a Neverland universe fan more than anything else, so that enhanced the experience for me.

in truth i probably should have reviewed it from the aspect of someone who has no spectral souls experience.
I was used to the gameplay so it didnt affect me as much.
But the story intrigued me, it doesnt tell you everything you want to know, so it leaves your mind open to wander, and it becomes a transition of Zelos' acception of life and its aspects.

but for new players I have a different review in which I rate it:

Newplayer Rating
7.2/10
although I still reccommend it, just get help with it, or a guide
metlspaz
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Return to Game Reviews