Valkryie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (DS)

Give your reviews on the latest games!

Re: Valkryie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (DS)

Postby Ubiquitor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Great iteration to a great series.
Achieving the A ending on my first iteration through the game was unnecessarily tedious.

Lieselotte dominated me to the degree that I actually missed my sin quota.
Obsolete Mafia-archive
Spoiler:

"And now, the rich and beautiful Master Asagi has chosen your stupid game to be her next victim!"
-Asagi, Soul Nomad
Ubiquitor
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby DarkPrier » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 pm

lopez wrote:I'll try to do a micro review:

Story:

Main character loses his father and blames the Valkyrie (Retriever of souls) for the impact it has on his family.
Goes on a quest to kill the Valkyrie with the help of Hel (female version of satan). Along the way he meets characters involved in a power struggle between 2 rival powers trying to control the land. Betrayals and plot twists ensue. Most of the battles/events depend on the characters moral choices. Overall, a great morality gripped story keeps you going and sets up further replays.

Score: 9/10

Gameplay:

Turn-based strategy game. It's a mix between Valkyrie Profile 1 and Final Fantasy Tactics. You control up to 4 characters and move along a grid to attack your enemies. When attacking, all allies within range join in to attack the enemy. Each character can do 1-3 attacks in a given battle sequence, depending on the weapon equipped. Each character is set to one of the 4 buttons (A,B,X,Y) and pressing the button causes them to attack. The initial playthrough can be challenging if your unfamiliar with the gameplay. It is a fun and reward system if you put in the effort to strategize your movements on the grid. Reckless playing leads to a quick game-over. Overall, entertaining take on the turn + grid-based strategy games.

Score: 9/10

Characters:

Each of the recruitable characters is unique and interesting. They play a strong part in each of the games chapters. Each character (besides Mages) has a unique play style in battle that helps expand replayability. There are a few stereotypes, but overall their stories and dialogue make up for the cliches

Score: 8/10

Music:

Most of the music is recycled from previous Valkyrie games. This isn't necessarily bad, as the music is good, it's just disappointing how they couldn't create more new music.

Score: 7/10

Replayability/Extras:

Spoilers:

There are three different endings depending on your moral choices. Each play-through can lead to different sides of the story and different characters depending on your moral choices. After obtaining all three endings a new dungeon is available. A New Game+ is available after each play-through resulting in weapons/armor being carried over (this is a huge help for obtaining the A ending)

Score: 10/10

Overall: 9/10

Great game. In my opinion it was the most enjoyable out of the 3 valkyrie games to play. You should pick it up if you enjoy turn-based strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I completely agree, but the music was mostly just VP1 so I would put it at a 5 or 4.

I like how there aren't just a ton of mages like in the first one(or terribly generic spirits and story characters in VP2), and the mages in this game are all extremely cool and unique.

I still think Aelia is a better VP character than all VP characters though, I wish she was in this game.
DarkPrier
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Ubiquitor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:15 pm

DarkPrier wrote:... the mages in this game are all extremely cool and unique.

I agree with this to the degree that I used an all-mage party for Seraphic Gate.
Obsolete Mafia-archive
Spoiler:

"And now, the rich and beautiful Master Asagi has chosen your stupid game to be her next victim!"
-Asagi, Soul Nomad
Ubiquitor
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Shizuka » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:29 pm

When I got to the last stage, the game got too hard for me, and as this is a no-grinding game, I got stuck. >: Nice, but could get a few improvements in graphics and gameplay.
Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Clephas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:32 pm

I also thought this was a good game when it came out. It really is a worthy entry to the series, and proof that Valkyrie Profile is still alive and kicking, despite being a series that essentially limited the number of games it could produce with the timeline it created. Basically, we've seen Lenneth and Sylmeria's personal stories, as well as a side-story/prequel for Lenneth in this game... now all that is left is Hrist. Oh god, I want to have a Hrist game, really bad. It seems like she would be the most interesting of the valkyries, because of that nicely ruthless side she has going. Also... it seems to me that there is a lot of depth to her that is left unexplored, despite the events in Sylmeria and Lenneth. Actually, the events in the other two stories felt like only a taste of Hrist, despite everything.

Edit: One thing I do seriously disagree with the review on is the music. Personally, I think it is just fine that VP reuses the same set of background music, because it was just that good. Better to go with tried and true - and more importantly, uniquely suited to the setting - than go off into new area and have the setting of a new game lose the atmosphere of a Valkyrie Profile.
Clephas
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Shizuka » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 am

The music was a classic, if you played any Valkyrie Profile before. It really nice, almost like Star Ocean battle intro sound or the click of the menu. Always the same.
Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby DarkPrier » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Ubiquitor wrote:
DarkPrier wrote:... the mages in this game are all extremely cool and unique.

I agree with this to the degree that I used an all-mage party for Seraphic Gate.

well the mages were the best characters in the game so that makes sense.

There was no limit to spell usage, and that is when mages really shine above the melee characters.
DarkPrier
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Reth » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reviews! I'm a big fan of the Valkyrie Profile series and have been dubious in picking up Covenant of the Plume. You've just convinced me to give it a shot!
Reth
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby lopez » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Reth wrote:Thanks for the reviews! I'm a big fan of the Valkyrie Profile series and have been dubious in picking up Covenant of the Plume. You've just convinced me to give it a shot!

I'm glad I could help. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have. Let me know what you think of it when you get a chance :D
3DS FC: 1306-7396-9318
lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Next

Return to Game Reviews