New Vassal
New Vassal

Read: Important info about voice-acting for West

Postby zuvi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Mod edit*

Operation Abyss will only have English text with English voice-acting

Explanation from the script editor assigned to the project:

Note:bolded and resized by lopez

The_Dood_Abides wrote:So, I'm actually the script editor for Operation Abyss and hopefully I can clear up some misconceptions about the reasons why this title lack dual audio.

The one thing that keeps going unmentioned in this discussion is that Operation Abyss is actually two full length games from the Generation Xth series crammed into one Vita cartridge, which takes up a lot of space. Unlike the Vita release of Danganronpa 1 and 2, the option of separating the games into two cartridges to release them them separately was not made available to us. For this reason, there was only enough space on the cartridge to accommodate one voice track. Since we specialize in localizing Japanese games for English-speaking territories, we decided it would be convenient for our English-speaking audience to localize the text and voices into English.

Regarding our policy toward dual language releases, it has not changed. When we have the ability to release a title with English and Japanese voices, barring extreme circumstances we will do our best to provide that dual-audio experience to our fans. If we do not have that ability, providing an English voice track will always take precedence over providing the Japanese voice track, but only if we have the budget to go to the very expensive trouble of recording English voices in the first place. If recording voices is not an option for a title, then we'll release that title with localized English text and the original Japanese language voice track.

Note:bolded and resized by lopez

The_Dood_Abides wrote:
FF9F00 wrote:
The_Dood_Abides wrote:So, I'm actually the script editor for Operation Abyss and hopefully I can clear up some misconceptions about the reasons why this title lack dual audio.

The one thing that keeps going unmentioned in this discussion is that Operation Abyss is actually two full length games from the Generation Xth series crammed into one Vita cartridge, which takes up a lot of space. Unlike the Vita release of Danganronpa 1 and 2, the option of separating the games into two cartridges to release them them separately was not made available to us. For this reason, there was only enough space on the cartridge to accommodate one voice track.

According to Japanese PSN the game is barely 1,2 GB

The standard Vita cartridge can accommodate for up to 4 GB. Games like the Atelier series that take up 3GB with dual audio are very typical.

So Operation Abyss will take 1,2 GB out of 4 GB. But somehow there isn't enough space for Japanese audio?

Is this dishonesty from NISA? Are we being deceived and manipulated?

No, you're not being deceived and manipulated. Chalk this up to a misunderstanding on my part.

When I asked around internally, I was told that accommodating two language tracks was not possible due to cartridge limitations. In my mind, I interpreted that to mean cartridge volume before relaying my findings to you guys. As evidenced by your post, the limitations have nothing to do with the volume of space on the cartridge, and now I have egg on my face for not being more thorough in obtaining this information. My apologies. It was not my intention to come across as duplicitous. The lesson here is, if you think you understand what someone's talking about, double-check just to be extra sure because there's always a chance that you're actually wrong.

Now that I think about it, the cartridge limitations may have something to do with how the game itself was originally programmed. But I'm not a programmer so I honestly can't provide anything more than speculation on the nature of those limitations. Plus, I have a distaste for being publicly wrong twice. However, even if those limitations were not in place, we still would not be able to provide the JP audio as dual audio or as future DLC for the aforementioned reasons that I cannot disclose without violating NDA.

Hope that clears things up further. I'm sorry I can't provide more information than that, and once again, I'm sorry for telling you inaccurate information the first time.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: About operation abyss

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Hm... I guessing the customer service guy didn't get the memo or just made a mistake.

There's a very high chance it'll have JP voice acting unless there's a contractual issue with the original publisher.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Customer service is (I guess strangely enough) not the place you should be asking about game details. Their primary job is sorting out orders and such. A better idea would be to send a PM to someone like Prinny Supervisor or ask on the boards when it gets it's forum section.
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

zuvi
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby zuvi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:09 pm

hmm... I wanted to know since I play mostly in Japanese and I wanted the LE for the game. If it doesn't have JPN text, I would just end up importing a JPN copy used but I like to support NIS America when I can. I guess I'll pass on this one :(

zuvi
New Vassal
New Vassal

Japanese text or audio?

Postby zuvi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:13 pm

I posted under general topics but found this thread later.
does the game have Japanese in text option like it did in demon gaze? I asked NIS CS but they told me no text nor JPN audio, and amazon.com tells me they have JPN audio.
thanks in advance!

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:51 pm

zuvi wrote:hmm... I wanted to know since I play mostly in Japanese and I wanted the LE for the game. If it doesn't have JPN text, I would just end up importing a JPN copy used but I like to support NIS America when I can. I guess I'll pass on this one :(

If you stick around, I'll send a PM to Prinny Supervisor and ask. I also wouldn't get the game without that stuff so it's worth knowing.

I should point out though, NISA keeps the JP audio in pretty much all of it's game (aside from those Prinny games for some weird reason), so the likely hood of it being in there is far more likely then not so.

Edit: PM sent. I asked him to respond to the thread for some confirmations.
Last edited by neonie on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:

zuvi
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby zuvi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:57 pm

thanks! yeah I know they usually have JP audio but I'm more interested in the text and almost none of the games specify if they have the option. I found out about demon gaze having JP text because of some review on a blog...

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:58 pm

zuvi wrote:thanks! yeah I know they usually have JP audio but I'm more interested in the text and almost none of the games specify if they have the option. I found out about demon gaze having JP text because of some review on a blog...

I asked about both (Or really you asked about both, I was just relaying the content of the thread lol)

Spoiler:

zuvi
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby zuvi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:02 pm

haha thanks, I'll be checking here :)

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 pm

I just spoke to the team working on Op Abyss. The game will have English voice and text only. The way the game was programmed makes having dual audio infeasible. Sorry for any mixups!
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Oh wowzers. That's pretty interesting. I was thinking about picking this one up too but I guess I'll pass. Thanks P Sup!

Spoiler:

zuvi
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby zuvi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:56 pm

ooh thanks! you guys should get it updated with amazon.com, they are stating it has jp audio

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:58 pm

neonie wrote:Oh wowzers. That's pretty interesting. I was thinking about picking this one up too but I guess I'll pass. Thanks P Sup!
I'll wait to hear it for myself, and I can't even imagine it has that much voicing to begin with considering what genre it is, but this'll probably be me too.

zuvi wrote:ooh thanks! you guys should get it updated with amazon.com, they are stating it has jp audio
I'd probably make an extra announcement if possible or bold it somewhere since I've seen comments elsewhere talking about how great NISA is at including both tracks most of the time - better to get "backlash" now and nip any complaints people have after they get the game and find it without the voices in the bud than deal with a wave of people claiming false advertising or whatever.

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby will57 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:26 pm

That's kind of surprising. At least this game probably doesn't have a lot of voiced dialogue so i'm not that bothered by it. Still looking forward to it either way, but I am pretty curious about how to game was programmed if adding two separate set of voice overs is either impossible or nearly impossible.

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:41 pm

zuvi wrote:ooh thanks! you guys should get it updated with amazon.com, they are stating it has jp audio

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We'll get on it.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Return to “Operation Abyss”