Read: Important info about voice-acting for West

TheWintendoHii
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Read: Important info about voice-acting for West: Update

Postby TheWintendoHii » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Its a shame that this won't get a Japanese voice track and there doesn't seem to be alternative way to include it. Sorry guys, but I won't picking this up. I'm not saying that out of spite or whatever, I want to support NISA but personally for me, a niche Japanese game like this needs a Japanese voice over option.

My personal feedback to the NISA team is to always include dual audio whenever possible, and if not, Japanese audio should always take precedence. Granted, I do understand there are those that prefer and English dub over Japanese, but I am not here to debate which one is more 'essential". This is just my personal feedback to the NISA team as a long time customer.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Question, how does adding the option change voice tracks work in games? It has to be programmed in right so it's made an option, for example, Dangan Ronpa on PSP doesn't have a voice track (for obvious reasons) but when it came over to the west a voice option was made selectable, any programmers know the process of it?

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 am

It'll depend on the game.
Especially how easy/hard it is to do.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

FF9F00
Vassal
Vassal

Postby FF9F00 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:45 pm

lopez and The_Dood_Abides, can you please remove your "Explanation" which was edited into page 1 of this thread?

It's nothing more than fake misinformation at this point. And if you insist on maintaining it on the first page, then it's a lie as well.

zuvi wrote:Mod edit*

Operation Abyss will only have English text with English voice-acting

Explanation from the script editor assigned to project:

Note:bolded and resized by lopez

The_Dood_Abides wrote:So, I'm actually the script editor for Operation Abyss and hopefully I can clear up some misconceptions about the reasons why this title lack dual audio.

The one thing that keeps going unmentioned in this discussion is that Operation Abyss is actually two full length games from the Generation Xth series crammed into one Vita cartridge, which takes up a lot of space. Unlike the Vita release of Danganronpa 1 and 2, the option of separating the games into two cartridges to release them them separately was not made available to us. For this reason, there was only enough space on the cartridge to accommodate one voice track. Since we specialize in localizing Japanese games for English-speaking territories, we decided it would be convenient for our English-speaking audience to localize the text and voices into English.

Regarding our policy toward dual language releases, it has not changed. When we have the ability to release a title with English and Japanese voices, barring extreme circumstances we will do our best to provide that dual-audio experience to our fans. If we do not have that ability, providing an English voice track will always take precedence over providing the Japanese voice track, but only if we have the budget to go to the very expensive trouble of recording English voices in the first place. If recording voices is not an option for a title, then we'll release that title with localized English text and the original Japanese language voice track.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm

FF9F00 wrote:It's nothing more than fake misinformation at this point.

Taedirk
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Taedirk » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 am

Seventh wrote:
FF9F00 wrote:It's nothing more than fake misinformation at this point.
[img]

Yeah, it's a double negative, but it's still bad info in the original post. This would be a better post to quote at the beginning if a completely straight answer isn't actually forthcoming.

FF9F00
Vassal
Vassal

Postby FF9F00 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Taedirk wrote:
Seventh wrote:
FF9F00 wrote:It's nothing more than fake, misinformation at this point.
[img]

Yeah, it's a double negative, but it's still bad info in the original post. This would be a better post to quote at the beginning if a completely straight answer isn't actually forthcoming.

I missed a comma there. Anyway, it seems pretty clear to me the moderators want the fake info on the first page to be preserved for as long as possible, since the info in it serves as a good way to calm down the criticism, since most people actually believe it without questioning it.

When The_Dood_Abides wrote his explanation, it got edited into the first post ASAP.
When I pointed out the first post was wrong information, more that a week passes and it's still not edited away or removed.
And it's not that they aren't aware of it either. I've PM'd them and gotten a reply so they are aware it needs to be done.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Re: Read: Important info about voice-acting for West

Postby lopez » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:31 pm

FF9F00 wrote:
Taedirk wrote:
Seventh wrote:
FF9F00 wrote:It's nothing more than fake, misinformation at this point.
[img]

I missed a comma there. Anyway, it seems pretty clear to me the moderators want the fake info on the first page to be preserved for as long as possible, since the info in it serves as a good way to calm down the criticism, since most people actually believe it without questioning it.

When The_Dood_Abides wrote his explanation, it got edited into the first post ASAP.
When I pointed out the first post was wrong information, more that a week passes and it's still not edited away or removed.
And it's not that they aren't aware of it either. I've PM'd them and gotten a reply so they are aware it needs to be done.

No need to overanalyze the situation and jump to conclusions. Criticism is welcome, so long as it's constructive and of a civil nature and the timing of edits to the OP has no direct cause/effect relationship on encouraging or silencing further discussions. Personally, I haven't visited this subforum for awhile, so my apologies for not keeping the original post up to date, though there are 3 other mods that could also perform the edits.

Regardless, the decision on whether to include Japanese audio in this game is finalized and out of our hands. The NISA staff have given their reasons and all we can do voice our opinions and hope future titles will have more options.

novurdim
Vassal
Vassal

Postby novurdim » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:23 am

lopez wrote:The NISA staff have given their reasons

Actually no, they haven't. So all we can do is speculate.
lopez wrote:all we can do voice our opinions

And that we do. Voice our negative opinions. And speculate.

Still wonder why would they do smth like this. Oh well, maybe they have just thought it to be non-profitable to include dual-audio from the beginning, too much effort to release it as a dlc and (being nisa) decided to waste more money on the dub. Or maybe they actually hired the cheapest possible actors so it wasn't even as pricey as keeping audio jap-only. Who knows, who knows.

Esper
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Esper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Considering the monolithic "NDA" was thrown about, the most likely scenario is that one or more of the JP voice actors for this game has really strict contracts about where their voice work can be used. In other words, they absolutely refuse to allow their voice to be heard outside Japan.

Which is a valid reason, although rather unfortunate, why NISA can not include the JP audio in any form. Now, this begs the question, what will replace the removed JP audio? Since there is no need for the budget to be spent on the JP audio at all, it would seem that there is a much higher budget available for the English voice track. I would expect a full English dub to replace the full Japanese one. Otherwise we'll end up with a situation similar to Atelier Ayesha's horribly botched PS3 release.

As I stated many times when that went down, I have no problem purchasing a game with only English voice acting as long as it is a full and complete dub. None of this 20% dub nonsense that has been running rampant in every game released after the original HDN.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Esper wrote:As I stated many times when that went down, I have no problem purchasing a game with only English voice acting as long as it is a full and complete dub. None of this 20% dub nonsense that has been running rampant in every game released after the original HDN.

That's probably overstating it.
Still much more expensive to record English voices than use the originals too, as well.

CrovaxPSO
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby CrovaxPSO » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:56 pm

Esper wrote:As I stated many times when that went down, I have no problem purchasing a game with only English voice acting as long as it is a full and complete dub. None of this 20% dub nonsense that has been running rampant in every game released after the original HDN.

Not all games have full Japanese voice acting in the original release. Such as this one.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:34 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's a "full" dub if it's covering everything the original Japanese voice track did.
Often that's not everything, not by a long shot.

TheWintendoHii
Vassal
Vassal

Postby TheWintendoHii » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:23 pm

So this game is getting delayed until June, I hope its to implement a dual audio option.

he110ne0
Vassal
Vassal

Postby he110ne0 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Is there any footage of the english version of this game in action? I think I might have missed streaming of it. I heard about the no D/A and yea I'm super bummed because I'd usually only ever play a game like this in the original language w/Eng subs, BUT if they don't talk all that much (or if I can just mute the voices) than I might consider it. (I mean I played Atelier Ayesha on PS3 w/voices turned off just so I could play it).

I LOVED Demon Gaze and if I don't have to hear the voices too much (OR if they're not actually horrible) than I might not mind it. I just cant seem to find English gameplay footage ANYWHERE. Any link to it, or if NISA could put up highlights from a stream (if it exists) than that would be great.

Thanks doods.

Return to “Operation Abyss”