Read: Important info about voice-acting for West

TheWintendoHii
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Read: Important info about voice-acting for West

Postby TheWintendoHii » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Rednal wrote:I only see problems when people descend to personal attacks or state that the personal preferences of others are wrong. For one, it's rude - and for two, companies are far more likely to listen when people speak in an intelligent and mature manner. If customers actually want a change in the company's operations (such as "if you can't do dual subs and can only include one track, please do X instead of Y as your default"), polite suggestions - ideally from a large group at the same time - are usually the most effective method of convincing them. Getting mad just makes hard-working employees want to ignore you - whereas being friendly (but clearly stating your preferences) actually gets them to listen.

Of course, there may also be unfortunate legal, technical, or financial issues that take the choice out of the publisher's hands. Sadly, those do crop up from time to time, and publishers tend to be as disappointed as the fans when they do appear. After all, happy customers are more likely to keep buying from them in the future, so they quite literally have a financial incentive to keep us as pleased as possible. However, I think longtime fans will usually recognize when this happens and give publishers the benefit of the doubt. If they don't do dual subs, there's usually a reason for it.

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. This individual simply wouldn't stop griefing Sony on their blog when they announced that Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines would only have a Japanese voice over option. Here are just a few of many gems by this person:

Souledge94 on February 19th, 2015 at 7:56 am said:

So were going the cheap route and no dub right?

Souledge94 on February 19th, 2015 at 8:14 am said:

“Oh, and we’ve kept the fantastic Japanese voiceover which fits in with the atmosphere perfectly.”

Tranlation: We here at sony are to cheap and lazy with the translation process.

Sweet jesus sony its sad that smaller companies like Nis,xseed and IF can offer an english dub but a big company like you are to cheap to give one. I remember when you announced all these cool jpn games coming over for vita I said “awesome. This is great” yet you just keep disappointing me over and over.

Souledge94 on March 3rd, 2015 at 8:05 am said:

Im sorry but Imma have to pass. I was excited for the game when it was said it was coming over,but the lack the of a dub kills it for me. I thought sony would actually dub their games since it is sony not a small company,but I guess I was wrong.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, its fine to leave feedback, once you do that's the end of it. But constantly bombarding them with passive aggressive comments like what I have referenced above and deciding to completely skip a game you have been anticipating to play just because it doesn't have English voice overs is disgusting and ignorant, which is why I called him out on it.

I can understand if he doesn't buy it on day one to send a message to the localization team and wait for a price drop, but outright not buying the game just because of a lack an English voice over option is juvenile and the only message he is sending is that he's a bigot that needs everything Westernized.

I'm fine if he was legitimately interested in discussing why people prefer one option over the other and I believe I provided him with a well thought out response previously. But that doesn't seem to be his intention at all. He can't seem to accept that an English dub is not something that is universally accepted in the JRPG genre community. He wants people to justify their preference to him, but when they do, he is unable to accept it and goes into denial. Claiming their point of view is wrong and only his view is right but without anything to back up his argument that would say so otherwise.

And thus this is no longer a discussion, its him trying to push his points of view onto others to justify his preference is correct but he's failing miserably at it.

That being said, I'm going to stop wasting my time responding to his nonsense, I've already said what I needed to say.
Last edited by TheWintendoHii on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cerzel
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Cerzel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:14 am

Well, I just found out about this. I was looking forward to Operation Abyss after how much I enjoyed Demon Gaze, but this is a dealbreaker for me. Maybe if it goes for cheap on sale down the line, but my desire for the game has fallen pretty significantly right now.

ivanchu77 wrote:I was talking about JRPG in general, i would like you guys to tell me any game localized by NISA where do you objectively think the english dub is better than the japanese one.

I very much enjoyed the dub of Soul NOMAD; they did a great job with that one. That's quite old and pretty much it though, every other NISA dub I can't stand.

sikachu
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby sikachu » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:43 pm

I just watched the new trailer that was out several days ago with English voice acting. I have to say that her voice and Alice's character doesn't match at all.

I wouldn't mind as much if the English voice acting is at par-level, like Atlus' Persona series. However, with her voice outgrown her appearance, I don't think this is acceptable. Therefore, I'm not going to support this release.

Come on NISA, I know you guys could do better than this. Please do better job next time. Either casting actors better, do dual audio, or just leave the audio in Japanese as-is. SAO:HF has Japanese audio and fans are still supporting them.

BTW, I really feel bad for Experience. It's not their fault, but they lost their sale because of this ...

ani12
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby ani12 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:52 am

I think Alice's voice sounds good, personally.

Orliatzu
Majin
Majin

Postby Orliatzu » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:33 pm

I personally find it fine as well.

It is a shame that it's not going to be in dual audio for people that prefer it though.

I prefer English dubs so I'm still on-board with picking this up however. :)

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:14 pm

BTW, I really feel bad for Experience. It's not their fault, but they lost their sale because of this ...

Why can't you play with the audio off, then?

grgspunk
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby grgspunk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Alright. In the dub vs. sub debate, I lean towards the sub side. However, I am pretty tolerant of dubs, and can deal with a dub-only option, provided it isn't absolutely horrific--Think Last Alert for the Turbografx.

However, given NISA's history towards treating their English voiceovers, I'm suprised nobody has asked this question yet:

DOES NISA INTEND TO DUB EVERY LINE THAT WAS VOICED IN JAPANESE?

Having an all-dubbed game isn't ideal, but I wouldn't necessarily mind, given that it's hardly the only game that's been released like this. However, in NISA's case, it is a major concern. NISA is unique from most other localization companies in that whenever they release most of their games with dual-voiceovers, their English-language options are often left with significant amounts of lines unvoiced compared to the Japanese language options.

Normally I choose to listen to the Japanese voices, so I'm not usually affected if they choose to keep some lines unvoiced in their English-language options. However, I do have sympathy and respect for dub fans who feel screwed when this happens. On the other hand, though, I usually don't let it get under my skin.

But in the case of OP Abyss, sub fans like me won't have the luxury of switching to Japanese, so we have to deal with the dubbed voices. Considering that, if NISA chooses to skip dubbing over lines in this one like they've always have been doing, then both sub and dub fans get screwed over--Dub fans will continue to deal with large amounts of dialogue that NISA deliberately chose not to voice in English, and us sub fans won't get to hear any lines in Japanese.

Please tell me this won't turn out like Ar Tonelico II again.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:36 am

grgspunk wrote:NISA is unique from most other localization companies in that whenever they release most of their games with dual-voiceovers, their English-language options are often left with significant amounts of lines unvoiced compared to the Japanese language options.

That's not unique. Just going to put that out there.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:13 am

It's also a function of costs. They have a limited budget for voiced lines, and it doesn't really change much based on the game (I know - I asked them in an interview). Titles that are naturally larger and have more dialogue will also have a lower percentage of lines dubbed because they literally don't have the budget to do anything more. A higher percentage of dubbed lines is unlikely to sell many copies of the game - what people who ask for more dubbing are doing is basically saying "spend lots of money and reduce your profits for no return". It's just not very practical from the business angle, especially with smaller companies like NISA. If they get large and successful enough, they'd have the budget to do more (and probably would), but for now it's just not something they can do.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

grgspunk
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby grgspunk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:42 am

For all the cheerleading and rationalizing you're trying to do for what is essentially content editing, I still haven't heard the answer to my question as to whether or not they intend on providing a full dub.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:48 am

*Tosses popcorn into mouth* Actually, I'm just bored of people taking every little thing a company does - many of which have been standard practice throughout the industry for decades - and suddenly acting like it's horrible content editing designed to ruin everybody's fun and destroy their own sales. Which is, y'know, literally the exact opposite of their actual business model.

That aside, I expect it to be at least mostly complete - dungeon-crawlers tend to have far less dialogue to begin with, so it's much easier to fit everything into the budget they have.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:47 am

I would say it's only "sudden" because more people are becoming aware of it, learning just what's being changed or removed, and so on. Some of the people complaining might not have been alive or aware for decades - you can't expect them to take issue with something they didn't know existed. Look at how people take Neptunia's more "localized" localizations as what the series actually is.

Ignorance is bliss and all. But more importantly, just because something was done for decades doesn't make it okay or the best thing to do.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that explanation had nothing to do with 'content editing', as the explanation was literally 'they don't have the budget to cover everything in wordier games'.
Which again, is not a unique position.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

grgspunk
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby grgspunk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:55 pm

Rednal wrote:*Tosses popcorn into mouth* Actually, I'm just bored of people taking every little thing a company does - many of which have been standard practice throughout the industry for decades - and suddenly acting like it's horrible content editing designed to ruin everybody's fun and destroy their own sales. Which is, y'know, literally the exact opposite of their actual business model.

That aside, I expect it to be at least mostly complete - dungeon-crawlers tend to have far less dialogue to begin with, so it's much easier to fit everything into the budget they have.

You know, if there is no information on whether they're making a full or partial dub, a simple "we don't know yet" would've sufficed.

I don't need to hear about your personal gripes with the fandom having standards and expectations from a quality localization.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Actually, I lean towards "Why don't you ask them yourself instead of posting on a message board in a place they may not reply to? They have a contact form for that kind of question, and I'm sure they'd be willing to answer if you were reasonably polite while asking." Companies don't generally specify this sort of thing in news releases, but they do tend to answer when asked directly.

Return to “Operation Abyss”