Rodea: The Sky Soldier (3DS/WiiU) - Fall 2015 (NA/EU)

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier (3DS/WiiU) - Fall 2015 (NA/EU)

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:18 am

Porecomesis wrote:Oh, that's actually really cool to know. Out of curiosity, what tone would you say the game conveys or attempts to convey?

Depends on which version you're playing. The story is the same between both versions and is fairly light-hearted, though it does have some serious moments here and there. Gameplay-wise, the Wii version feels very reminiscent of NiGHTS and has more of a focus on the experience of flying itself. Enemies and boss fights are present, but complicated aerial combat scenarios are not the main focus in the Wii version. I was surprised to discover that Rodea does not have a health bar in the Wii version; if he gets hit once, he dies, but you can collect a power-up in stages that will allow him to absorb a second hit.

Conversely, the 3DS and WiiU versions has a stronger focus on aerial combat. Rodea has a health bar in this version and his abilities can be upgraded to improve their effectiveness. The levels in the WiiU version seem wider and platforms have more nooks and crannies to explore, while in the Wii version the levels seem more streamlined. Both games feature bonus areas within individual levels, but they're arranged differently depending on which version you're playing.

Controlling Rodea feels really smooth across both versions. Both games convey a strong sense of freedom and adventure. There's an old-school sensibility to Rodea game design that I haven't encountered in a modern game for a long time, to the point where playing the game actually made me nostalgic for the games of 15-20 years ago. There really isn't anything like Rodea on the market these days, which is one of the main reasons I'm so excited we're bringing it over.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Another key difference between the two versions is how Rodea's special abilities work.

In the 3DS and WiiU version, Rodea can obtain special items known as "Gears." These gears bestow various abilities when equipped, and Rodea can switch between active Gears during battle. Gears can also be upgraded in Ion's workshop by spending mech pieces to boost their effects in certain ways.

In the Wii version, the abilities given by Gears exist as level-exclusive power-ups that are obtained from item boxes. Once obtained, you have the Gear's respective power-up for the duration of the level. Unlike the WiiU and 3DS version, these power-ups are not permanent, cannot be upgraded in Ion's workshop, and will disappear if Rodea dies.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:51 pm

The_Dood_Abides wrote:Depends on which version you're playing. The story is the same between both versions and is fairly light-hearted, though it does have some serious moments here and there. Gameplay-wise, the Wii version feels very reminiscent of NiGHTS and has more of a focus on the experience of flying itself. Enemies and boss fights are present, but complicated aerial combat scenarios are not the main focus in the Wii version.

Oh, I did not know that. How strange that the Wii version doesn't get a standalone release.

The_Dood_Abides wrote:I was surprised to discover that Rodea does not have a health bar in the Wii version; if he gets hit once, he dies, but you can collect a power-up in stages that will allow him to absorb a second hit.

Sounds a tad Sonic-esque. Hardly surprising.

The_Dood_Abides wrote:Controlling Rodea feels really smooth across both versions. Both games convey a strong sense of freedom and adventure. There's an old-school sensibility to Rodea game design that I haven't encountered in a modern game for a long time, to the point where playing the game actually made me nostalgic for the games of 15-20 years ago. There really isn't anything like Rodea on the market these days, which is one of the main reasons I'm so excited we're bringing it over.

I'm looking forward to it, too. I'm getting a bit of a Skies of Arcadia sensation from what I've seen of the gameplay in how big and open it is. I love me some adventure and I haven't had much of that at all recently. :D

Marc
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Marc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Gamestop recently opened up pre-orders for the Wii U and 3DS versions!

And a couple of questions: Does NISA have plans to make open up pre-orders for Rodea on their online store? If so, will anyone who pre-ordered the Wii U version through NISA's store will still be eligible to receive the Wii version along with their copy of the game?

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:02 am

Marc wrote:Gamestop recently opened up pre-orders for the Wii U and 3DS versions!

And a couple of questions: Does NISA have plans to make open up pre-orders for Rodea on their online store? If so, will anyone who pre-ordered the Wii U version through NISA's store will still be eligible to receive the Wii version along with their copy of the game?

We are planning to make pre-orders for the 3DS and WiiU versions available through our online store, and the first print run of the WiiU version will include the Wii version of the game. Since pre-orders are reserved from this first print run, pre-ordering the WiiU version once pre-orders are announced will pretty much guarantee you both the WiiU and Wii versions of the game. If you wait until launch to buy the game, the odds of you getting a first print copy and receiving the Wii version will be much slimmer.

AriaHtS
Peon
Peon

Postby AriaHtS » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:39 am

It looks like the Japanese release is going to have a full game case for each version, and a sleeve to hold them in. Is the first-print localization going to have the same format as this, or is it going to be altered? (like putting both discs in one case, for example)

NeptuniaYuriFan
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby NeptuniaYuriFan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:13 am

The game looks cool, but since I don't own either a 3ds or a WiiU, I won't buy the game. Hopefully they will port it to Sony systems since those are the ones I own.
PSN: YuriFan9999

AnimeKid
Peon
Peon

Postby AnimeKid » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:56 pm

The_Dood_Abides wrote:Just a heads up, I'm the script editor for this particular project. If you guys have any questions about the title, please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Off the top of my head, I can confirm that doing a complete English dub across all three versions of the game, but I can't confirm if the game will have dual English and Japanese audio just yet. Once I have more information, I'll share it here.

Could not find any mention of an update to this.

What with the Rodea pre-orders now being available, I reached out to support and inquired with them.

I got a very simple quick response from support saying:
NIS Support Prinny wrote:Correct! Rodea will be in dual audio.

souledge94
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby souledge94 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:07 pm

The_Dood_Abides wrote:Just a heads up, I'm the script editor for this particular project. If you guys have any questions about the title, please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Off the top of my head, I can confirm that doing a complete English dub across all three versions of the game, but I can't confirm if the game will have dual English and Japanese audio just yet. Once I have more information, I'll share it here.

Well this answered my first question about if there would be a dub or not. Good to see there will be one and the other question I had you already answered for someone else so thanks.

Leon Tekashi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Leon Tekashi » Mon May 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Spoiler:

GalaxiaUltima
Vassal
Vassal

Postby GalaxiaUltima » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:29 am

game looks pretty cool
Last edited by GalaxiaUltima on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

akaciparaci
Peon
Peon

Postby akaciparaci » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:35 am

AnimeKid wrote:

Could not find any mention of an update to this.

What with the Rodea pre-orders now being available, I reached out to support and inquired with them.

I got a very simple quick response from support saying:
NIS Support Prinny wrote:Correct! Rodea will be in dual audio.

just to make sure(er), any other definite info that states it will have dual audio?
to be precise, will all three versions have dual audio?

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:18 pm

akaciparaci wrote:
AnimeKid wrote:will all three versions have dual audio?

Yes.

ToastmanNIS
Peon
Peon

Postby ToastmanNIS » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 am

Extremely excited for this game. Glad NIS is giving the Wii U a chance and porting it here for this. I would have preordered the collectors edition on the website here if I hadn't already paid it off at a local Gamestop. I own a PC and Wii U to handle all my gaming needs and I think I can honestly say that no Wii U owner is satisfied with the 3rd party titles available right now. So please continue to port different games here to the states NIS. We are missing out horribly.

PerryComo
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PerryComo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “Rodea The Sky Soldier”