Disgaea 5 (PS4 Fall 2015)

Alliance of Vengeance
XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Disgaea 5 (PS4 Fall 2015)

Postby XCronoX » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:34 pm

How many eps is it red? I'm not liking some of the changes, like the class unlocking and how you can't throw enemies into the base panel to capture them anymore.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:42 pm

It's 16 chapters....haven't finished it yet myself, but...it's fun so far.

The Sneaky Prinny
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby The Sneaky Prinny » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Capturing enemies is easy peasy now with the capture squad. Metallia too, if you bought her.

As for the story, I agree. Easily the best. There were two characters I absolutely loved, and only one I absolutely hated. We'll see how they age, but that's pretty good for a Disgaea.

Unlocking the humanoid classes seemed fine and mostly the same, but unlocking monsters this way can go take a nice long walk off a short pier. The quest is fine, but I wanna abuse the item world/innocents/dark assembly to get a bunch of kickass monsters by chapter three. How late you get Great Wyrms (Dragon Kings now) is completely unacceptable. Horsemen too, for that matter. Monsters are beyond crappy in this game anyways, so why hold out on 'em? I can unlock Armor Knights, Magic Knights, Pirates, and even Sages in the first chapter if I absolutely wanted too, and those classes are all actually good.The only saving grace at all is that you get Geese and Drumdawn long before their actual class... Which has no business being an issue anyways. Monster rant over.
The best was Disgaea 4, where some kind soul posted a map with all the monsters, at level one, backs tuned, on deathblow panels. :lol:
I'm too damn lazy to put anything clever here.

...and as my tag expired, proudly remember me as the official Mid Boss of the Disgaea JSRPG Squad!
(Now imagine taps playing, and let a single, manly tear run down your cheek!)

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Metallia ain't bad as far as monsters go, but yeah, the generics still leave a lot to be desired at times...

Galblade
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Galblade » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Played the whole game with a generic team + Christo healing + Pleinair with a gun and had no troubles really. Only weak links in my team are my martial artist and Drumdawn (well not exactly a generic but close enough since giant is kinda eh). Just starting the last chapter now and definitely up there as one of my fav games.

The Sneaky Prinny
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby The Sneaky Prinny » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Galblade wrote:Played the whole game with a generic team + Christo healing + Pleinair with a gun and had no troubles really. Only weak links in my team are my martial artist and Drumdawn (well not exactly a generic but close enough since giant is kinda eh). Just starting the last chapter now and definitely up there as one of my fav games.

The generic humanoids aren't bad. Several of them are quite good, just the main characters are better. Monsters, on the other hand, are just god-awful in this one. Non-spellcaster monsters are completely screwed. They got Mon-toss, so now they are only a little worse than humanoids in terms of map utility, but since the generic humanoids get unique, useful skills that usually do something completely unique and never age, while monsters get 4 iterations of "do some damage to that guy. Maybe his friends. And maybe slap a status ailment on it 5% of the time, usually poison to let that enemy get one more attack before it dies and takes it's exp with it", monsters are left at the crap end of both deals. Most monsters get two embarrassing first skills, a decent third skill, and a good (but not great) fourth skill. More than one monster gets a first skill that is honestly indistinguishable from a basic attack. As if that weren't enough, weapon resistances leave ALL monsters unable to effectively deal with certain enemies. If a humanoid has a bad match up, they can just switch to something else, maybe use one of those sweet unique skills they have. Monsters just have to deal with it. The last kick in the 'nads comes from recruitment pace itself. Around the time you're unlocking Armor Knights, Ninjas, and Magic Knights, you are also unlocking Eryngi, Faries, and Slumber Cats. Nether Nobles are the only monsters worth using for 70% of the game. Given how the rest of Monster Recruitment is paced, I'm positive it was an accident that they show up in Chapter 3 instead of 13.

To add insult to injury, magichange got the shaft hard. There's only one skill per monster that, while pretty good in the very beginning of the game, ages terribly, such that by chapter six or so, it's just not worth doing. Timing out a magichange doesn't give you a dispatch back any more, few monsters have evilities worth giving a humanoid, and as a final blow, most monsters magichange into weapons that disagree with their stats. Slimes magichange into fists. You know, those guys tied for the lowest speed in the game. Tied with Bears, actually. Who also become fists. And Zombies. Think about that.

I love my monsters. I've primarily used 'em since the first Disgaea, where they were terrible. Honestly, they are on Disgaea 1 levels of suck in this game, except neither Thursday nor Galactic Demons are here to show everyone up with their 150% aptitudes, which aren't big deals anymore. I still use them because they're my boys, but even I can recognize a problem when my 15/20 lower-leveled humanoids wearing junk from 3 chapters ago are outperforming my monster with his shiny new research-squad gear. Maybe the removal of beast masters was a sign. Or the Roast Dragon platter.

The only monsters even half worth using are Metallia, Usalia (entirely for her overload and team skills), and Nether Nobles if you never buy anything. Maybe Geese/chimeras to sit around and give everything -5%. Spellcasting monsters in general are passable, with everything else being pretty much garbage. That ain't gonna stop me from making the most Badass Freakin' Dragon King/Great Wyrm/Ifrit in the entire freaking universe, skill diversity be damned (but if Baal still makes monsters cry that might...), but it still sucks.

Nether Nobles love the research squad, by the way. Free gear means they get to enjoy something like a 30ish% stat boost just for existing. :lol:

...and as my tag expired, proudly remember me as the official Mid Boss of the Disgaea JSRPG Squad!

Galblade
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Galblade » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Yea that sounds horrible, I guess I'm lucky that my favorite monster (beryl) is a spellcaster. Felynns also didn't seem to be too bad at a glance. Some of the more decent monster attacks and potencies but why did the monsters drop so far from their extra evility selves in 4 Vita and DD2? :(

XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby XCronoX » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Good thing I never cared for the monster classes, hell the last couple of games I barely used the humanoid classes just stuck to the story characters.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:26 pm

XCronoX wrote:Good thing I never cared for the monster classes, hell the last couple of games I barely used the humanoid classes just stuck to the story characters.

I never really use the monster classes unless it's for magichange or they're unique. And I always use the story characters only on my first run through of a Disgaea game.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Galblade
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Galblade » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Seeing the last few moves for monsters atm and they actually aren't bad. Every monster I've seen gets a 3x3 whether its naturally or when its a magichange weapon AND an A rank damage skill. Sure the moves beforehand are relatively weak but that's the same with the starting moves for weapons too. The only negatives I can agree with are the monsters that have those moves with elements. But if you took the time to subclass something that would help like magic knight and such well it shouldn't be as bad.

The Sneaky Prinny
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby The Sneaky Prinny » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:49 pm

I have discovered that I was somewhat in error. Monsters do in fact get two magichange skills, the second of which is actually quite good. They come in very late (level 300ish on Dragon Kings, the monster I made this discovery with), but they exist nonetheless. My Bad. It doesn't fix the other problems, but at least the pinnacle of Magichange isn't a C rank, single target skill. Also, the double magichanges look super cool. (well, some combos, at least. Some just look... weird. :lol:).

Galblade
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Galblade » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:44 pm

On a different note, Blasting Fist doesn't show the lowered DEF stat on the afflicted target after use. Is this a bug? Haven't tried Arrow in the Knee to see if the same thing happens with SPD yet though.

XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby XCronoX » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:41 pm

The whistle track in the fight with Almaz & Sapphire = homage to Wild Arms?

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:48 pm

XCronoX wrote:The whistle track in the fight with Almaz & Sapphire = homage to Wild Arms?

It's actually Almaz's theme...or a theme that tends to play for Almaz in D3. As for it being an homage...no clue, that style of music ain't too common nowadays, that's for sure.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Doubt it. It's just that tracks heavily featuring a whistle are rare. Like how I doubt Wind (& Fang) from Asura's Wrath is such a reference either. Although in that case it's definitely deliberating trying to invoke an Old West feel. Also you have to be careful with whistles like that, poor sound quality makes them incredibly shrill very quickly.

By the way, the Disgaea track is Wanderer's Poem, and often comes up more when Master Big Star is involved if I recall.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Return to “Disgaea 5 (PS4)”