New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City

tel3caster
Vassal
Vassal

New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City

Postby tel3caster » Sun May 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Can we talk about about how the timing for the announcement for "New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City" was in incredibly poor taste for those of us living in the western hemisphere?
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/new-interpre ... ed-ps-vita

This announcement was made not two weeks after the NA launch for the original version on the Vita. I personally pre-ordered this game and had it arrive within the last week. I realize that Stranger of Sword City has been out for two years in Japan, however those of us who pre-ordered probably wouldn't have made the leap if we knew that an expansion was in the works. I don't believe for a second that NISA knew nothing about this revision. I'm considering returning my purchase at this point. This whole affair has left a bad taste in my mouth. Could we please have a NIS America rep chime in on what happened?

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City

Postby Daverost » Mon May 02, 2016 6:53 pm

Download copies of the original Stranger of Sword City: Black Palace can be upgraded for 1,800 yen.

Sounds like all NISA needs to do is translate and release the DLC upgrade.

I think you're overreacting.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

tel3caster
Vassal
Vassal

Postby tel3caster » Tue May 03, 2016 2:45 am

Daverost wrote:
Download copies of the original Stranger of Sword City: Black Palace can be upgraded for 1,800 yen.

Sounds like all NISA needs to do is translate and release the DLC upgrade.

I think you're overreacting.

The problem with your statement is that EXPerience ran into some trouble with updating the physical copies of the game. So at the moment, the update can only be applied to digital copies of the game. Also, Japan is getting physical editions of this new revision.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8571131.html

Jitawa
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Jitawa » Tue May 03, 2016 3:11 am

Maybe the one month delay was to make the game compatible with the DLC?

It would be nice to hear what will happen considering they have a PC release in June in the pipeline as well.

mintteawithlime
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby mintteawithlime » Fri May 06, 2016 11:32 pm

It is unfortunate to hear that the cartridge version can't work with an update. That is a bit of a deal breaker for buying the cartridge! It seems like a great game, worth getting the expansion for, and NIS's limited edition is nice.

Jitawa
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Jitawa » Sat May 07, 2016 5:33 am

Well, the Japanese original version Vita cartridges were incompatible, but those also came out quite awhile ago (well before this year).

We didn't get the same version that they received in Japan. The option to change art-styles was a more recent addition (to the Xbox One version), and we got the added portraits/different art from that version added to our Vita copies.

So, if they were able to alter the game enough to add the portrait toggle, perhaps they were able to communicate with Experience about the upcoming DLC before our cartridges shipped so they could alter it to be compatible in a way that the Japanese Vita copies were not?

They were presumably in contact with Experience before this, since I believe the Xbox One version released by Experience uses the translation that NISA wrote for their Vita version. Experience knew they were releasing this DLC when they were talking to NISA, because the DLC releases in July of this year in Japan - so, it's been in the works since before our Vita version (or Experience's Xbone version) came out.

What's the saying? Forewarned is forearmed?

Given notice, I think NISA would've been able to make the physical cartridge compatible with a large patch. The Japanese VIta version released in January of 2015, and presumably they hadn't considered making it compatible with a DLC update when they released it.

At least, I'm saying it's "possible" we could get the DLC. NISA was likely aware of it before release, and they did delay our release by a month. We just need official word from them to know for sure.

mintteawithlime
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby mintteawithlime » Sat May 07, 2016 6:23 am

Naturalization companies rarely get that kind of access to a game's code, and fixing a problem like that isn't something they do. It also seems unlikely that Aksys caught and repaired this before compiling the US version, but NIS could ask and report to their customers either way.

Jitawa
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Jitawa » Sat May 07, 2016 6:56 am

mintteawithlime wrote:Naturalization companies rarely get that kind of access to a game's code, and fixing a problem like that isn't something they do. It also seems unlikely that Aksys caught and repaired this before compiling the US version, but NIS could ask and report to their customers either way.

Well, this game has wound up in a sort of unusual set of circumstances in general.

Experience opening up shop in the U.S. to self-publish is itself a sort of odd happenstance for a relatively small-scale Japanese developer of niche titles. However, if you *are* going to open up shop to self-publish in the U.S., you'd think you'd be localizing your own titles from now on, right? However, youtube shows that the translation being used in the Xbox One version is the same as the one used in the Vita version. That means Experience developed and published Stranger on Xbone, but NISA gave/sold them their translation I guess?

Also, it's unusual for a port to have changes compared to the original version, right? But the Vita version we received has the additional art that was added to the Xbox One version. So, we don't have just a translated version of the VIta version -- the version we have is "better", "upgraded", "changed". The announcement of the "new" art for the Xbox One version was made *after* NIS announced this game as well.

Additional art is different from making something DLC-compatible of course, but if Experience is self-publishing in the future in the U.S. - the Experience titles available on other platforms from NISA will impact their reputation as well. They'd probably want other versions of their title (Steam/Vita) to be well-received and get the DLC too.

This is just conjecture on my part though. It's relatively unusual for a Japanese developer to open a U.S. publishing arm mid-release like this I think.

Though I guess Disgaea 1 was originally published by Atlus USA before NIS America opened up here. NIS America started with Disgaea 2 (NIS-wise)? I'd argue NIS is a bigger dev in Japan than Experience though (much larger catalog). NIS America has been localizing for a decade now though I think, and they localize stuff from lots of other companies - Gust, Compile Heart, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, etc.

Eh, at any rate, I think lots of things are *possible* here. It just remains to be seen what the official word will be I guess.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon May 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Just found out about this...and I literally just bought the game new on Ebay for $26 -3-

Jitawa
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Jitawa » Mon May 09, 2016 2:08 pm

lopez wrote:Just found out about this...and I literally just bought the game new on Ebay for $26 -3-

As minor as it seems, I was looking at getting the Steam version too, just for the custom portraits. I find stuff like that amusing. I'd kinda like to see what NISA's plans are with the DLC business for both platforms first though.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu May 19, 2016 1:40 pm

I guess it really depends on how well the vanilla version sold. I can't imagine people would double dip (retail release), so this would have to be a paid DLC upgrade and/or a PSN-only release.

Jitawa
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Jitawa » Sun May 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Well, yeah. I guess I'm hoping to see they already planned for the DLC integration. It's built-in to Grand Kingdom, for example, but I we have to wait for the Japanese release of the DLC before they could possibly release the Sword-city DLC (July?). Most of the stuff they announced in the DLC isn't text heavy, as near as I can tell.

Yarott
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Yarott » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:12 am

So, um, yeah. Is it confirmed yet if the west is getting this DLC Expansion for the digital version and/or Physical Re-release? It's been half a year since this was discussed here, from what I gather. I got this game last week from a PSN sale for the Vita, hoping that the expansion gets its eventual release, but I'm here asking in the nearest official forum for it.

Return to “Stranger of Sword City”