Precarious controls: Fear the "X" button

jonaswashe
New Vassal
New Vassal

Precarious controls: Fear the "X" button

Postby jonaswashe » Wed May 04, 2016 11:52 am

I assume that, since NIS is encouraging streaming of the Beta, discussion of the game is fine.

Overall I find the game beautiful and well put-together, but there is one thing that is ruining it for me, the controls.

Specifically, the fact that the 'X' button is used for cancel skill AND end turn. I have lost count of the number of times I have accidentally ended a unit's turn. This happens for two reasons:
1. It is not intuitive at all that, while pressing 'X' cancels the use of a skill, you must use the touchpad to undo movement.
2. It is intuitive that if I wish to cancel use of a skill and undo movement, I should tap 'X' twice. Once to cancel the skill and once to undo movement. Instead, this ends the unit's turn.

I actually feel uneasy during combat because I'm constantly afraid I will accidentally press "X". It's gotten to the point that I've missed a few assist opportunities because I am afraid that pushing the "X" button will arbitrarily end my unit's turn.

From my little experience with the game it seems like end turn is rarely used, and is mostly useful for when a unit is not able to move within range of a target. Can we please move this to a less prominent button, like the Start button or R3 and/or have a confirmation prompt that you really, in fact, do want to end the units turn?

I understand that some of this will be less of and issue as I become more familiar with the controls, but currently I feel like I'm battling the controller more so than the enemy units on the field. If I'm missing an obvious input setting or nuance, please inform.

MioNarusegawa
Peon
Peon

Re: Precarious controls: Fear the "X" button

Postby MioNarusegawa » Wed May 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I've had it happen a couple times and just had to learn to watch more carefully. L1+X would be nice for passing and X for just canceling :D

Emichan24
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Emichan24 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 am

My problem is that sometimes it's X to cancel, sometimes it's O, sometimes it's the touchpad. I have arbitrarily ended my turn because I thought I was cancelling an action >.<. Adding an option to prompt for turn end might help the situation. Make it so that the prompt can be turned off in the game options, so people can opt for speedier gameplay.

jonaswashe
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby jonaswashe » Thu May 05, 2016 9:17 am

Emichan24 wrote:My problem is that sometimes it's X to cancel, sometimes it's O, sometimes it's the touchpad. I have arbitrarily ended my turn because I thought I was cancelling an action >.<. Adding an option to prompt for turn end might help the situation. Make it so that the prompt can be turned off in the game options, so people can opt for speedier gameplay.

Exactly! And I've lost count of how many times I've accidentally rubbed the touchpad and zoomed across the map while trying to undo movement, and then you have to press "O" to get out of the panning mode? It's really frustrating.

Return to “Grand Kingdom”