Translated games

The official European game discussion board.
My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: Translated games

Postby My1xT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:35 pm

no problem. you can examine those and I really want to know if there's something saying "Englisch" (English in German) or "English" or a flag or sth. like that on the covers.

couldnt upload pics (too large) so look here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ulkq80p8licv17z/1Zjlwpf8ra
in this order in pairs (Back and Front) Rorona, Neptunia (the first one) and Qoga.
When I am in the store maybe tomorrow or whenever I check and make shots of Time and eternity, mk2 and Victory.

Well as I said earlier, it doesnt affect me personally since I used English to lean Japanese (and can speak it, even though more informal than formal -> Anime knowledge), but the point is that the consumer can return the game coz it's not noted that it's english only.
Nisa aside, in the recent era supported languages on physical games are badly noted. (ex. 3DS games have it very small) when I think back to the GBA period it was pretty nice, I know a YGO GX game where you clearly saw on the front (and the package is smaller than on PS3) "Englische Textausgabe" ("English Text" in German) that were times...

Best Regards as always, and please not I am not ranting, just stating facts...
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 am

as promised here the shots of the mentioned games (and Symphonia chronicles as a bonus)

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bn1t6caob3hbtho/B1vkCwzjzq

as far as I can see only chronicles has a info (Voice: EN/JP, Manual: DE) and they completely missed to say that there are German subs...

about your shots: since They are English it appears that

looks like the only source I can really rely on is the PS Store (if they have the game) and reviews (like on amazon)...

also one said earlier that Bandai HAS the ressources to translate the game into more languages. Here's the question: WHY didnt they translate Time and Eternity, it has a Bandai namco logo on it...

and I mean aside from dubs (which are usually crappy in most cases anyway, subbing wouldnt be THAT hard.
especially since the translators get better and better. throw in the scripts sentence by sentence (more would kill the accuracy), and let some ppl grammar check and correct the translations, which is easier (and therefore less expensive) than translating it as whole.

Best Regards as always, and please note I am not ranting, just stating facts... (too lazy for ranting anyway)
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Blackchaosdragon wrote:Cool i had a look at em,
Yeah i can see the language flags on the Tales game plus a lot of saturn.... :lol:

ToS-C with the flags I already pointed out and it is nice even if they shot an own goal with that one.
Well I dont have the Games as a physical copy, so I had to go to the next store, which is Saturn.
Blackchaosdragon wrote:None the less im not sure theres anything further to add to this particular topic.

well that would be NISA's statement about that, you said earlier that NISA assumed that the target group has english knowledge, but WHY then go so far and translate the cover and the manual, I mean when you buy a Japanese game where you have english manual and Cover, would you think that it's in Japanese. well no. and what would you do (assume you cant speak or read Japanese), well probably return it becuase there was no sign that your language wasnt included.
as I said I would call this a fraud, especially in case of Rorona which is rated as 6+ and rating in not only given for violence and ***ual content, but usually also for how understandable a game is for the target group, and can you assume that a six year old child from a non-english speaking country has deep enough knowledge in english to understand the game?
Definitely not, especially in case you have it like me and have your 1st english lesson in 3rd grade (assuming a German child goes with 6 to school, which is mostly the case) in that case you would be 9 with your fist more-or-less real contact with english language.
-
another Funny example where you have it even worse (knew it but searched for the proof some days...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc0x2pbizmeqf ... .00.57.jpg
Source: Neptunia German Manual
most intresting her is the following sentence: "Wählen Sie die gewünschte Sprache über das System-Home-Menü" translated: "Choose the wanted language with the System Home Menu" which is pretty much assuming that you DO have multilanguage support.

Even DS Games are better, if you read a DS Game's Manual there you often have a text like "English, <language>, <native language> and <another language> are supported, if you DS setting is in a different language the Game will start in English" which is a proper aproach, even if not on the cover, the manual has a proper explanation, and PS3 Games have more cover AND possible manual sizes, which means that they DO have the space for some flags. look at the first 3 games posted. there is MORE THAN ENOUGH completely blank space when you can put this. but even in the small print you see NOTHING. which is clealy scam/fraud.

as always, here is no ranting included, and everything was written and intended to be read with a more-or-less calm mind.

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am

OK then I keep it short this time.

Even if they are not large. if they have the time to translate (and probably completely redo coz of the fonts and logos and everything) the Cover from Japanese they shouldnt have problems adding an English info. especially when there are Games that have it. When I would use simple text it would take less than a minute and even with the flasg less than 2. and if we count in the argument that it has do be done only once per cover layout (Computer) and then is mass printed, your argument is pretty much invalid.

Also Saturn is no Game store but an electronics store, but this one has a larger Game corner than any other (game targeted or not) store within that distance.

bent
Peon
Peon

Postby bent » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi guys,I accept all the post.Great discussions.I think translated games is not a matter and we can play in any language.It's waste of time to translate a games.I will come shortly.Keep touch with us.Any post is recommended.Thanks Advance :D

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 am

well translations may seem useless but the make the list of target ppl even wider.

and no I cannot play in any language.
I can play without probalems in ENglish and German and if we have Kana-only text or everything read out even in Japanese, but I would have problems with so many languages...

Return to “European Game Chat”