Translated games

The official European game discussion board.

Translated games

Postby seth » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Here's a good time that I ask myself : Some next "NIS" games will be translated into languages ​​other than English (localized) ?
Last edited by seth on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seth
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Translated games

Postby SakiChan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:58 am

Sadly it never happened,which is why they always stay english here over in europe...=<
3DS Friend Code : 1418-8072-8210 (Saki)
SakiChan
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ivanff12 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:26 pm

I would like nis america Spanish subtitled Atelier Totori for Europe.
Nis america Why not translate their games to all major European languages​​? :oops: :oops:
ivanff12
Peon
Peon

Postby Rednal » Wed May 18, 2011 9:22 am

Cost-prohibitive, probably. They'd need expert translators for every language, not to mention they'd probably need to dub it in every language (WAY TOO EXPENSIVE), so... yeah. XD; Plus, I doubt so many audio tracks would all fit on one disc, so they'd have to release a bunch of different versions, and yeah. It... probably wouldn't work for a smaller company.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29
Spoiler:
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Selphares » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:57 pm

I guess it are mainly the translation costs. Voiceovers are not that expensive. At least in germany, I recently saw a report about how a voiceactor is paid by us and it is really not much. Not sure about the USA but for a country like germany that gets a lot of translations the payment is pretty poor. Not to mention that voiceactors are not treated pretty well even as we have some good one. :cry:
Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby Rednal » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:43 pm

NISA isn't rich enough to afford Union work. That should say a lot about how expensive it can be in America. XD;
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29
Spoiler:
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Selphares » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:37 am

It also shows the slight difference if a job group is somewhere organized and not at an other place. As said I can only speak in case of germany but there was a report not long ago tehre gets a voiceover a payment from arund 60 cent for a line at best and looses all follow rights and winning on follow up products or anything that creates money out of his/her voice. When I have time I will try to find the exact numbers. Anyway if you take for example the Pirates of the Caribic from Disney it is really bad paid. Like the movie maid several Millions in germany translated and the main voiceactor got at best around 1000 - 2000 Euro at best.
For being a country that translate quite a lot I find it is a bit abuseing.
Not to mention that they get threated like private persons with no secure from gouverment side like normal employed persons but get the disadvantages as employed persons too.
Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby Selphares » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:41 am

Rednal wrote:Cost-prohibitive, probably. They'd need expert translators for every language, not to mention they'd probably need to dub it in every language (WAY TOO EXPENSIVE), so... yeah. XD; Plus, I doubt so many audio tracks would all fit on one disc, so they'd have to release a bunch of different versions, and yeah. It... probably wouldn't work for a smaller company.

A reason is also that most europe countries teach english as second language anyway and propably most fans of JRPGs in general are used to be at least a bit used to english, so there is propably a to small target group that would buy the game translated to consider the effort. Anyway I will not complain some time ago it was even hard to get jrpgs in germany. So I prefer a just english game way over haveing no releases at all.

Wonder if this will change if all now moves more and more in the direction of digital downloads. It cleary does have some advantages to ever anyway some downsides too. MAybe that would be worth an other topic.
Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby BigNutter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:08 am

I like in the UK, so I don't worry too much about stuff like this.

Quite a few games, are translated in to a few languages, but rarely beyond; English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. In many of my games, I've got Swedish and Finnish Quick start guides. (Which is a condensed Version on the English Manuals.)

Download able games does offer a lot more flexibility.

I admit most of the games I play are either fully translated to English or was made by English speaking developers. For many of the Translated games they don't include the Original VO. Most Naruto PS2 games have a Voice actor/Language switch, only two that I own don't, one because the localisers changed the game enough to prevent the Japanese language being used. The other was didn't get Localised voices. (No JP option game was due to the fact they had to take out Tsunade, "Naruto's Boss" who is constantly referred in cutscenes, To try and bring the game out early. Since Naruto does mention her alot that's bit tricky.)

If the games was for PC, they could do a Valve, and get the fans to translate it. Valve does have a translation service.. which does many languages which includes PIRATE! Due to a leak there, we're expecting the next Content update For TF2.
BigNutter
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Pinkemon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:55 pm

It'd seem to me that translating games takes a lot of time, especially when done accurately.

Honestly, there's no reason why EU people wouldn't be able to learn english.

Heck, I'm a 17 year old dutch person and I can understand it just fine. It's not that hard to me.
ImageImage
Pinkemon
Majin
Majin

Postby Selphares » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:15 am

Well english is pretty standard tehse days. At least in germany anyone must do it, but not all people have the patience for new languages or the skill. It is sort of a brain thing. Anyway haveing english games is actually pretty helpful to learn english. At least in my case it helped a lot.
Anyway it somehow makes sometimes games with english text and japanese voiceover a bit of a mind kill, since you sort of must translate two languages at the same time. :)
Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby seth » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Ok, English is not very difficult but i like better play a game in my language.
They can do like Disgaea 3, in French, English, Spanish, Dutch and Italian.
They can sell a lot and everybody will be happy.
seth
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Stefto » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 pm

i disagree, translating a game only makes up for longer release times...
besides, most dutch people like me would agree that dutch dubs sound very bad and a translation often childish.
i'm more in favour for1 english release.

this takes away an excuse for big release gabs between us and eu atleast.
Stefto
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby My1xT » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:40 am

I have something to add about game distribution in Germany (and probably other countries)

You have German Covers, German Manuals etc. so usually you are safe to assume that the game content is English as well, BUT NO. The Games are English only (Take Tales of Symphonia out) and ther is NO SINGLE remark about that the game (seen in all 3 HDN titles, Atelier Rorona, Ar Tonelico Qoga and Time and Eternity) is English only.

As far as I know this is known as fraud.

I will NOT accuse you (NISA) about doing it on purpose but you ARE doing it and it.

but before ppl will start to sue you better redo it next time.

also @topic
you always say that dubs can be expensive and whatnot. why not make Subs as in Tales of Symphonia DotW (Wii) meaning that you keep the English voice (I must admit that this time [and this time ONLY] I have seen a nice english voice track) or even better, give subs in every needed language and voices in Japanese and English.

Best Regards
My1xT
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Blackchaosdragon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Geez....
Do you.... even realise how small nisa European division are?
Nis does not have the time or the money for a re-do it would take them even longer to release a game in
think about it... Bandai are a huge company with a well established fan base and series as well as loads of money to burn,
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Blackchaosdragon
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Next

Return to European Game Chat