Maybe this goes here?

The official European game discussion board.
lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Maybe this goes here?

Postby lopez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:51 pm

I was perusing around Ebay when I found a couple of PSP games that I've never seen before for sale.

These games weren't the typical Japan-only stuff I usually see, but games like Breath of Fire III and Tales of Destiny 2 (both RPG's) that were in English, with English labeled cases/manuals. The only difference was that the games were from places like Sweden, Belgium, Germany, etc....

I bought Breath of Fire III from Sweden and sure enough it was a full on port of the PS1 in English. It even played on my American PSP, so the PAL region stuff didn't matter or the game wasn't region based.

So I was wondering why games like these made it over to Europe without coming over to America? Usually it's the other way around, where Americans get a few games that Europeans never get.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Maybe this goes here?

Postby Daverost » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Handheld systems are always region free, dating all the way back to Game Boy.

And I don't know. I really want Tales of Eternia for PSP, but importing it is kind of a crapshot because one version has a bug that won't let you progress past a certain point and you never really know which version you have until it's in your system.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Quonar
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Quonar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Tales of Destiny on the PSP?!

hmm I gotta get around and see what's for sale here in the Netherlands...
So far I've only focussed on the American market since my psp was American, earlier today I found out it's regionfree. Hearing ToD on PSP however totally sparked my curiosity...

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:07 pm

So if the handhelds are region-free, then why are the consoles not? What is the purpose of the region stuff?

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:11 pm

PS3 and 360 are. Wii isn't. And it has a lot to do with the media format, as far as I remember. I could be wrong. I think just burning crap to DVDs made it an issue. Not sure about first-gen disc systems. Anything with a cartridge had cartridge size/shape redesigns to fit the redesigned system shape by region.
I never got my avatars.

Quonar
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Quonar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Protects local markets I guess...
Just look at Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days, it was released in September in the States, but here in Europe it's suppose to go on sale in February I think. Due to limited logitistical resources (I asume) they have different release dates in different areas of the world. To prevent the population in Europe for instance to buy the American released games they put in region codes...

This is by no means a fact, just a simple view of how I think it may have come to terms. By any means correct me if it is different :P

I know I used a PSP game (regionfree) as an example, but it kinda fits due to the release dates.

I guess with the coming of PS3 and XBOX360 they decided to drop this practice... since all latest stuff is regionfree...

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:46 pm

not entirely true, we have different releasedates for handheld games because just about every game gets translated into spanish, italian and german, and they try to make the european release as universal as possible. Also, 360 is by no means region free, only ps3. console games have later releasedates for the same reason, but with added programming to change the region etc.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

Quonar
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Quonar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:50 pm

just learned today about the PSP and PS3 being regionfree... didn't bother on 360 factchecking.. and see where it got me :roll:

Anyway, I forgot about the multilang, you're absolutely right yes :)

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:05 pm

It must be a pain to bring a game over to Europe... no wonder they tend to get the shaft :(

So technical all the major systems/handhelds are built the same, but have different language software between countries and region protection stuff?

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Don't forget about the ratings...

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:32 am

Lopez<

Yes, basically :P which is why we don't get all the games. But ever since i modded my ps2, i never bothered waiting for the games to localize either way, i'd just get the american version instead, lest i'd have to wait another 6 months or so

odinfan<

Not sure but at least HERE they don't care much about the ratings for the games XD
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

Surreal
Majin
Majin

Postby Surreal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:08 am

To answer the original question.

I remember hearing a few years ago that the reason games like Breath of Fire III (PSP) weren't released in the US was because SCEA apparently refused them for localisation. Something to do with the game not having enough "new features" though not all of SCE's regions have the same mandate hence why the game was released in Japan and Europe.

I think this is also part of the reason why Record of Agarest is being released as a digital download in the US whereas the game has already been released on a disc in Europe and Japan. (lack of an English dub in that case)

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:20 am

CelticRedemption wrote:Also, 360 is by no means region free, only ps3.

This is where we start getting into semantics. Most games aren't released without a region lock of some kind, but they can be. I know for a fact that a region-free manic shooter has been released in Japan with the developer encouraging imports in order to (hopefully) build a big enough fanbase overseas that future games in the series can be picked up by publishers.

http://kotaku.com/5368190/bullet-hell-s ... x-360-game

tl;dr - 360 is region free, the games are just locked by developers.
I never got my avatars.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:00 pm

I heard something about the SCEA restrictions, but why refuse a game because of features?

Are they implying that no one in America would pay/play a port if it was identical (i.e. BoF III (PSP) is the exact same game as BofF III (PS1)? Or something like the cost to localize would outweigh the sales revenue?

Also what do Europeans have to do to "mod" their consoles? Does it have to do with the region protection stuff?

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Restricting a game being released based on features alone is really dumb. It's not like these features are meant to make money for the company. From my view, interest in a game depends on the brand name and how well it is received by the ones who have played it. And while I know for a company, that taking risks is dangerous, I say it is better to release a game than not, because if general press is good, people are going to come back for seconds, even if it doesn't manage to get raving sales figures.

Any of Double Fine Production's games are in this category, while they might not sell well, they certainly hold elements that make them fresh to play, that is why the head of said company is so highly regarded in the industry. He's willing to take a hit for recognition.

Return to “European Game Chat”