A round of applause should go out to NISA

Official Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Discussion Forum
Phoenix_Apollo
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: A round of applause should go out to NISA

Postby Phoenix_Apollo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Oh, man. If this series pulled a Phoenix Wright, that would be completely amazing. NISA deserves all the acclaim they can get for Sakura Wars, and I hope to see the series get released more and more over in America and Europe.
ImageImageImage

Rarutos
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Rarutos » Mon May 03, 2010 12:28 am

THANK YOU NISA!!!

Seriously, I do applaud you for even being able to localize it in the first place! I hope you continue to be able to bring over more Sakura Wars games! Seems like it's a hit. :D
Lovebar made by Me, avatar made by Allegretto. Thank you!

goldenwitch
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby goldenwitch » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

I know I'm late, but I did buy this game the day it was released, and I really enjoyed it. I was really upset when i heard it didn't sell as well as hoped and even more upset when I heard something about Sony giving you trouble and you can't release other games in the series or something.

But despite all the sadness that followed, this game was released here, and it was amazingly localized and amazingly packaged. The mini-poster is hanging on my wall still as we speak. So, despite everything, this was amazing and I THANK YOU deeply for doing it.
http://www.nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2293

SergeantBooduce
Majin
Majin

Postby SergeantBooduce » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 pm

This is making me want to buy the game. I have very little experience with the Sakura Wars franchise, but everyone's pure love for the game is really moving, in my opinion. I'm seriously tempted to go into town and buy a copy right now.

Even though I haven't played it yet, I'd like to thank NISA anyway, for bringing it over. :3
Click the banner to visit the localization request thread @ Aksys Forums!
~*VISIT OPERATION GOLDEN LAND ON FACEBOOK*~

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 pm

SergeantBooduce wrote:This is making me want to buy the game. I have very little experience with the Sakura Wars franchise, but everyone's pure love for the game is really moving, in my opinion. I'm seriously tempted to go into town and buy a copy right now.

Even though I haven't played it yet, I'd like to thank NISA anyway, for bringing it over. :3

So Long My Love is definitely an awesome game and very much worth buying.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:59 am

I've played through the character introductions (the first 5 or so chapters of the game--just completed Gemini's).

Sakura Wars V has been a mixed bag for me. Technically-speaking, it's very impressive--the tweaks they've made to the traditional VN system are nothing less than revolutionary. The unique timed decision-making and dialogue mini-games really add to the experience. Character-wise, the character concepts are fairly interesting, and the character interactions are enjoyable. The battle system is engaging, considering it's not the focus of the game. The weighting of stats based on character relationships is a nice touch.

On the other hand, the plot is terrible. The overarching story is one of the most corny and ridiculous I've ever seen, and I've played a lot of JRPGs. Even Star Ocean 4's plot looks mature and believable by comparison. It's like the battles are thrown in just to force a character crisis and provide a change of scenery. The villains are completely 1-dimensional and uninteresting--basically just throwaway characters to give the heroes something to overcome. The Ar Tonelico games show that a dating sim-style game can have a rich and rewarding storyline that isn't childish or forced, which makes Sakura Wars 5's failing in this area all the more disappointing.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

RedCoKid
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby RedCoKid » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:19 am

All the Sakura Taisen games since 1996 have employed corny plot devices to drive archetypes popular in its era. STV predates AT1 and has more in common with anime like Oh My Goddess or Love Hina.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:44 am

RedCoKid wrote:All the Sakura Taisen games since 1996 have employed corny plot devices to drive archetypes popular in its era. STV predates AT1 and has more in common with anime like Oh My Goddess or Love Hina.

Sakura Wars V came out in 2005. Ar Tonelico 1 came out in 2006. I don't really see age as an excuse here.

Also, I certainly wouldn't call Love Hina "corny". It's more like an extended-gag show (i.e., "comedy"), whereas the overarching plot of Sakura Wars V isn't comedic. I think a more apt comparison would be Power Rangers or Voltron.
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

RedCoKid
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby RedCoKid » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Anyway, if you had asked me in March whether Sakura Wars was similar to Persona or Ar Tonelico, I would've said no to both and saved you money and disappointment.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:28 pm

*shrug*

I'm still enjoying my playthrough, for the most part. I'm merely pointing out that the title has unconventional strengths and weaknesses, with a potential to be highly polarizing even among fans of the genre.

goldenwitch
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby goldenwitch » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 pm

A few of the early Chapters in the game were pretty cheesy and hard to take seriously. I still cringe at the massacre of Hamlet too...

That aside, though. I found the second half of the game to be much better story-wise. It still remained fairly cliche the whole way through, but I still liked it. The gameplay and Visual Novel elements are what really made me enjoy the title as much as I did though.

It was a good game for sure. But it's definitely far from the best in the genre.
http://www.nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2293

RedCoKid
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby RedCoKid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:59 am

goldenwitch wrote:It was a good game for sure. But it's definitely far from the best in the genre.

Which genre? Visual novels or strategy RPGs? Or games that try to do both (hint: there are not many)? Personally I've not played a better visual novel than ST3, and only Valkyria Chronicles ranks better than STV as a SRPG in my collection. Anyone who calls the LIPS system a "mini-game" or the strategy RPG portion "light" is not looking at the big picture and will generally walk away disappointed. You have to get a kick out of the interplay between the two to fully enjoy Sakura Taisen, and as a whole it's a unique polished series.

Sorry for the late reply; I've been stewing over this for a week to avoid totally blowing up. Jesus Christ, it's an appreciation thread for a dead game, and you guys are taking shots!?

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:42 am

RedCoKid wrote:Sorry for the late reply; I've been stewing over this for a week to avoid totally blowing up. Jesus Christ, it's an appreciation thread for a dead game, and you guys are taking shots!?

SergeantBooduce wrote:This is making me want to buy the game. I have very little experience with the Sakura Wars franchise, but everyone's pure love for the game is really moving, in my opinion. I'm seriously tempted to go into town and buy a copy right now.

Ar Tonelico wrote:So Long My Love is definitely an awesome game and very much worth buying.

These 2 posts are why I responded to this thread. It became a thread used by potential players to judge the game rather than a thread for existing players. Thus I felt obligated to give a more rounded perspective.

RedoCoKid wrote:Which genre? Visual novels or strategy RPGs? Or games that try to do both (hint: there are not many)?

Actually, there's a number of such games, just not localized or that most people would ever care to play. Eushully, Alicesoft, and Softhouse Chara make a number of such games. As for English games, Eien no Aselia and Sengoku Rance are 2 fan translated games that fit this profile. Such games lack anything resembling the LIPS system (which like I said, is quite revolutionary and praiseworthy), but many (certainly the good ones) have an overarching story that isn't corny like Sakura Wars V's. Some have a battle system that is better than Sakura Wars V's as well, though that wasn't the focus of my criticism.
Last edited by magusgs on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedCoKid
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby RedCoKid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 am

Eien no Aselia and Sangoku Rance lack aesthetic flair. I'm surprised you think they're better. Castle Fantasia Seima Taisen (Studio E-go) also was crappy.

There are plenty of reviews deriding SW:SLML, perhaps more than positive ones.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 am

RedCoKid wrote:Eien no Aselia and Sangoku Rance lack aesthetic flair. I'm surprised you think they're better. Castle Fantasia Seima Taisen (Studio E-go) also was crappy.

I wasn't commenting on the "whole package"--that's much more subjective and depends on what aspects you value. I was commenting on plot mostly, and on battle system as an aside (again, I don't really have issues with the battle system). In particular, I was commenting on a very specific element of the plot--"corniness". Or to phrase it differently, the believability, immersiveness, and self-consistency of the game world. I believe Eien no Aselia, at least, is a game that avoids corniness. Sengoku Rance is just ridiculous--it's not really comparable. It's not corny, but the same "tests" don't really apply to a game that revels in the absurd.
Last edited by magusgs on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love”