How many lines of text did NISA have to translate?

Official Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Discussion Forum
Tails64
New Vassal
New Vassal

How many lines of text did NISA have to translate?

Postby Tails64 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:30 pm

I was reading an old Nintendo Power article that claimed NIS America had to translate 700,000 lines of text and do voice overs for 100,000 lines. :shock: I know the project had to be huge due to all the options the game gives you. But that, to me, seems unrealistically huge: a 300 page novel printed as a standard-sized book has about 10,000 lines. So I'm curious if these figures are accurate or not. Has NIS officially said how much they had to translate?

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: How many lines of text did NISA have to translate?

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Well, they'll translate as many lines as the thing contains, and many games have a lot of dialogue/general text. There's a reason why there's an entire genre called 'Visual Novels'.

Even after they translate it, they have to rewrite it as necessary, so it makes actual sense.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: How many lines of text did NISA have to translate?

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Many visual novels and a few RPGs can go way over 100,000 lines of text to translate. Sakura Wars does have a lot of translating and i'm sure there was lots of time and money put into it, but there's games that let's say will take up even more time and money to translate because of more lines to translate and dub.

This is why even to this day i'm still applauding their effort they did to the game. While I still think it should have just stayed on PS2 and PS3 being a better option for wanting to put in a next gen console since there would be more of a market for it, but i'm just happy they localized the game at all since Sega wasn't showing any love for the series to come out of Japan.

Return to “Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love”