No love for Disgaea 2?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: No love for Disgaea 2?

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 am

Stranger wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:Of course "the fight" being the fact you have to beat them in combat first, which often gets unmentioned.

They're only Lvl 100. And you can only fight them after you enter post-game. They aren't hard at all.

Still something no-one mentions.
Though Dark Hero Days' ones were essentially atttempting to stop you from being a little overpowered by getting them from the get-go, as there is no post-game. Apart from one who just joins for humourous reasons, and obviously breaks the entire game if you actually use them.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Stranger
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Stranger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 am

Ringwraith wrote:
Stranger wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:Of course "the fight" being the fact you have to beat them in combat first, which often gets unmentioned.

They're only Lvl 100. And you can only fight them after you enter post-game. They aren't hard at all.

Still something no-one mentions.
Though Dark Hero Days' ones were essentially atttempting to stop you from being a little overpowered by getting them from the get-go, as there is no post-game. Apart from one who just joins for humourous reasons, and obviously breaks the entire game if you actually use them.

...I've been mentioning it...
Tu fui ego eris

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby nroejb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:45 am

As mentioned in the respective topic, I to would like to see hanako again, especially now as it would plotwise be fitting.
Well Technically she was a powerful Demon lord 10 years after Disgaea 2 and D2 probably takes place quite a while later (seeing the age difference of the far slower aging cast), and it was hinted that Hanako left Laharls netherworld becoming a travelling fighter, but still it would be some kind of a fit.

Also, while neither plot-, nor character wise It's my favourite part, at least both points are original, I was very dissapointed with Disgaea 3, due to the similarities to Disgaea 1 (traumatised orphan crownprince with aversion against love and friendship, with support of a good natured friend and a loyal follower of the late overlord, who still hangs about in the world of mortals, going against a self-righteous crusader)
Since Disgaea 4 proved superior character and gameplaywise (not plotwise I think), to Disgaea 2 the later is now only my 3rd favourite, but I think it will be able to defend the position against D2.

IMHO DLC are a part of game ripped off to take extra money from players for selling it. I not buy it no matter how good or cheap it is. It is matter of principles.

I certainly agree and support that notion but I have to say, that in the PS Vita version, the PS3 DLC content is available from the beginning, without having to be bought or downloaded, making that version a definite non rip off.
Last edited by nroejb on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

overlord david
Vassal
Vassal

Postby overlord david » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 pm

I love Disgaea 2 it had some of my favorite cast. I dislike Adell but I love Rozalin, Yukimaru, Tink, and the kids. I'd like to see a Disgaea 2 fallow up where Rozalin is learning to utilize and control her power as the God of all Overlords. Human Taro/Tink would be a nice plus too and there is the obvious Demon Lord Hanako.

Personally I see Laharl & co as Old-Hat. I never liked Laharl to begin with and he was MOST likable in his first appearance. He's only degraded since the original Disgaea his every subsequent appearance being more and more obnoxious and pathetic. So much so that I only count his appearance in the middle of Disgaea 2 to be canon.

Flonne on the other hand has developed nicely through cameo appearances. Her adaption into demon society was first seen and then her accentuation to archangel which was also done nicely. Although now it kind of creates a time paradox, she was very clearly older as the archangel but Laharl and Etna were not; now Flonne is back to her fallen angel form and looks younger once again. This makes me hope there is a mention of age at least in the instruction booklet. I haven't been able to keep the timeline straight since Disgaea 3. In Disgaea 2 there were character Bios in the book and we could clearly see the time that passed, I'd certainly like to have a solid timeline. Hell if the trio stick around I'd like to see them age up eventually.

As for Disgaea 2, I can't say there isn't any love for it. I liked it, and my friend actually liked it more than the first game aside from Adell and his annoying catchphrases. More than likely Adell and his crew will continue to appear as DLC or post game characters. I know how people feel about DLC it does feel like a big rip off. That is why I never bought any of the Disgaea 4 DLC because I know it will be included with the Vita version if they have any sense. That will probably be the definitive version.

Who knows, maybe Dimension 2 isn't just a 1 shot game, maybe it's going to be a 2nd series that deals with canons already previously established. I think that would be a good way to deal with things. You know, always keeping the main Disgaea stories fresh and involving new Netherworlds and casts, but using Dimension 2 as a vehicle for telling stories about those casts we have already met and loved. Maybe we'll get that story of Adell and Rozalin Marrying and or Rozalin developing her Overlord powers only time will tell. Disgaea 2 Dimension 2 anyone? Hahaha

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby nroejb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 pm

They probably just didn't bother to make new designs for them in disgaea 4 as they only had short cameo appearances, But Flonn who had a bigger role was kinda in need for a new design. I'm pretty sure D2 takes place before Disgaea 3 & 4

I don't think there will be a vita adaption of Disgaea 4 though, first of all they would have to redo all sprites as the vita resolution is lower than that used for the D4 sprites resolution (at least that's what I was told) second the vita kinda flopped (I bought a used one just for Disgaea and Persona, but I doubt many others would do so just for 1-2 games) making an adaption, which is from a technical view more complicated than that of disgaea 3 unlikely.

Anyway, though I don't like DLC's if they bring one out with Demon Lord Hanako, I'll buy it.

Gunblade
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Gunblade » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Demon Lord Hanako!?
Where does this come from?

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby nroejb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Gunblade wrote:Demon Lord Hanako!?
Where does this come from?

She is a DLC character in Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days
She looks her part as a fan and apprentice of Etna, her demon lord version looks like a mixture between young Hanako and Etna.

overlord david
Vassal
Vassal

Postby overlord david » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:06 am

nroejb wrote:I don't think there will be a vita adaption of Disgaea 4 though, first of all they would have to redo all sprites as the vita resolution is lower than that used for the D4 sprites resolution (at least that's what I was told) second the vita kinda flopped (I bought a used one just for Disgaea and Persona, but I doubt many others would do so just for 1-2 games) making an adaption, which is from a technical view more complicated than that of disgaea 3 unlikely.

Heh, I called it nay-sayer... :ugeek:

Gunblade
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Gunblade » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 am

Just downloaded the dlc for adell and rosalin in disgaea d2. Now it would appear the characters don't recognise adell or rosalin yet those 2 recognise them.

Does this infer that there's a "alternate" multiverse in this universe (Try getting that round your head)? I always thought the etna that appears or the laharl that appears in cameo's in the other games was the "same canon" laharl from D1 and so on.

DarkPrier
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby DarkPrier » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:17 am

Gunblade wrote:Just downloaded the dlc for adell and rosalin in disgaea d2. Now it would appear the characters don't recognise adell or rosalin yet those 2 recognise them.

Does this infer that there's a "alternate" multiverse in this universe (Try getting that round your head)? I always thought the etna that appears or the laharl that appears in cameo's in the other games was the "same canon" laharl from D1 and so on.

Disgaea D2 takes place before Disgaea 2 as a sort of Disgaea 1.5 or Disgaea 1 part 2, so Laharl and the gang would not know them yet.

Adell and Rozalin apparently traveled back in time somehow...

Gunblade
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Gunblade » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:12 pm

I thought that, but why would Rozalin and Adell recognize them, I remember they said something about familiar faces. It seems like some strange quasi time travel thingy :P
A sequel in real life, a prequel in game universe but then it's Disgaea...

Midnight Tea
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Midnight Tea » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:35 am

I like Disgaea 2, but most my qualms with it have to do with the plot and characters.

The plot is clumsy and poorly paced in relation to the game. The game's story has a tendency to just stop and start, not follow any sort of coherent flow. A particularly egregious example is Shinra Tower, which takes the story momentum behind the shed and shotguns it. In general I consider it really poor form to have extremely difficulty levels in between story highs, they're best saved for the space in between major arcs or just before the run-up to the final battle.

The characters aren't well built-up or interesting. They're not bad characters, but the game doesn't give me much reason to empathize with them. Take Adell's motive for turning his world back into a human realm. Why the crap would I want that? It's the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance dilemma all over again. If I didn't want to visit or live in the demon world of Makai, I wouldn't be playing Disgaea. If I can't empathize with or side with the heroes, that's a very bad sign.

The chemistry between Adell and Rozalin isn't really believable to me either, nor really is their relationship with any of the other characters. It's not the worst I've ever seen, but it left me more uncomfortable than not particularly if you consider Rozalin's backstory. It drifts close to Unfortunate Implications for me. Hey speaking of spoiler stuff...

The plot reveals aren't foreshadowed well. While I do like Disgaea 2's plot overall for it's uniqueness (and no denying it's unique!) I feel like a lot of the major aspects of it aren't very well signposted. Good Disgaea foreshadowing involves a lot of small character interactions and breadcrumbs to follow, both silly and serious. Here most of the foreshadowing comes in major dramatic events, usually just one or two that raise more questions than they help narrow down.

There is no payoff or emotional high. Explaining this drifts close to spoiler territory so I'll be as cagey as possible by saying that despite some interesting things revealed about Adell and his story, we never get to see his character process those reveals. We never get to experience his uncertainty, we never really get to see him dwell, we never see him have a weak moment which his friends (esp. Rozalin) could've helped him with. He starts the story as an aggressive blockhead and more or less ends the story as the same aggressive blockhead. That's profoundly unsatisfying.

I want to make it clear I'm not saying Disgaea 2 is bad. I actually love the game. I consider it a very bold experimentation with some of the Disgaea story formula and it reflects the inventive and fun-loving demons who no doubt work at N1 while disguised as humans. I'd rather have a dozen or more sequels like Disgaea 2 than anything "safe" because that helps every game stand out more. And with a series like Disgaea that otherwise does play safe with it core systems, experimenting wildly with the story and level design and not being married to any particular character or cast is probably a very good idea.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:43 am

DarkPrier wrote:Disgaea D2 takes place before Disgaea 2 as a sort of Disgaea 1.5 or Disgaea 1 part 2, so Laharl and the gang would not know them yet.

Wait, seriously?

That's... huh. I haven't played it yet, but it bugged me given what later happens with Etna and then Flonne in particular in later games.

Maybe if they port it I'll try it after all.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Seventh wrote:
DarkPrier wrote:Disgaea D2 takes place before Disgaea 2 as a sort of Disgaea 1.5 or Disgaea 1 part 2, so Laharl and the gang would not know them yet.

Wait, seriously?

That's... huh. I haven't played it yet, but it bugged me given what later happens with Etna and then Flonne in particular in later games.

The funny thing about that is that in the port of the first game for the PSP ("Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness) and DS ("Disgaea DS"), there were additional stages where you can actually fight against both Adell and Rozalin (they can actually join you in the DS port if I remember correctly). They didn't have any lines though.

Anyway, the subject at hand.

"Disgaea 2" remains to be my favorite entry in the game. I really liked the characters, the story was solid enough and actually had the previous cast's return be somewhat meaningful instead of just being there, the majority of attacks were actually cool looking attacks and void of the slapstick they seem to have now, so on and so forth.

Yeah, you could probably tell that I have a thing against the current games. While I really liked "Disgaea 3" as well (enough to platinum the Vita Port anyways), a lot of areas presented I felt to be somewhat of a downgrade. While gameplay did improve, the general feel was just not as that good for me.

And don't get me started with "Disgaea 4". It's currently the only entry that I gave up on and never finished. Not saying it was bad, just a lot things irked me the wrong way.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Seventh wrote:

Wait, seriously?

I wasn't sure when it took place, as we already sort of have the 'between 1 and 2' game in Infinite.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Return to “Disgaea Series”