Your History with disgaea

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
sanchezjohnny58
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Your History with disgaea

Postby sanchezjohnny58 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:38 pm

How I got into disgaea... I was in middleschool and never really played any rpgs so one day I went to a video game store and they had this bin with cheap unpopular games.this was around the time when disgaea was just starting out and wasnt to known and was only on ps2. My friends mom picked out disgaea 1 out of the bin and it was for 9$. Since I only had 10$ I thought why not looks interesting. at fisrt I thought laharl was a wild little girl, judging from the game cover. but when I started playing the game I fell in love with the story and gameplay, and finally realized he was a dude. Ive been a disgaea and rpg fan ever since. I will love disgaea for life! Any other interesting storys of how you got into disgaea?

ChirunoHakurei
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Your History with disgaea

Postby ChirunoHakurei » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:52 am

I'm a latecomer to the Disgaea series. Picked up Disgaea 4 early this year along with Hyperdimension Neptunia just because I wanted to add more JRPG's to my collection. Heck, I sold my Xbox 360 and all my games just so I could play the Neptunia series, a move I've never regretted.
To be fair though, Disgaea 4 didn't quite hold my attention for long but make no mistake, I did enjoy it, just that I didn't have time to do all that level grinding. Later on in the year I bought Disgaea 1 off PSN and fiddled around with it for a while but still couldn't quite get into it. About mid-way through 2013, I got a PS Vita and along with it, Disgaea 3 Absense of Detention. Now this was the first Disgaea game that really held my attention for long periods of time, mostly because it was portable (and also becaue there was a cute loli catgirl :P ). I was playing it everywhere; on my commute to school, in-between classes, at home, waiting for an order at a restaurant... literally everywhere. D3 really helped got me into the Disgaea series.
Recently, I've also pre-ordered Disgaea D2 Limited Edition and I can't wait to get my hands on it and start playing this October :D

Kyoko Needleworker
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Kyoko Needleworker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:11 pm

sanchezjohnny58 wrote:at first I thought laharl was a wild little girl, judging from the game cover.

Spoiler:
Image :lol:

croze
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby croze » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

I only recently got into Disgaea.
Purchased a vita played through Persona 4 Golden and really wanted to play another JRPG. So i purchased Disgaea 3 and was blown away. I was loving the combat system coming off of XCOM enemy unknown and the story was really interesting. Currently I am playing through Disgaea 4 and I'm looking forward to D2 after i am done with 4. :D

Saotome_Ranma
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Saotome_Ranma » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I got the 1st Disgaea not too long after its release. Found it to be kind of tough at first, but really like the story, the diversity of the characters available to use, and the possibilty of doing nearly limitless damage to the enemy. Of all the RPGs I have played, I think it has one of if not the best combat engines. Currently plaing #3 on the Vita and #4 on the PS3, looking forward to Disgaea D2. I almost bought a copy of it when I was in Japan but figured it'd be best to wait for the english release. I'd have to say #3 is my favorite. Not sure what the chances are, (probably zero), but I'd love to see a strategy RPG maker based on the Disgaea engine.

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:10 am

Not much really; friend introduced me to the game, thought it was lame, decided to try it out, actually liked it.

I became a fan. Not much to tell.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

Adell20
Peon
Peon

Postby Adell20 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:42 pm

not much i never kbnew disgaea exist one day i didnt know what to buy for my ps2 and i was watching a list almbul in my game shop and is aw the disgaea 2 image in the disc and i just bought and and i started with the best disgaea 2i love adell pretty much my favorite character and im tired of watching all main characters after disgaea 2 use sword i dont like sword skills mao didnt like valvatorez is great my sec ond favorite main char but he use sword -.-

DarkPrier
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby DarkPrier » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:36 am

I actually saw Disgaea 1(PS2) shortly after it first came out in a local gamestop and I originally planned on getting it with my Christmas money because it looked cool and very different from anything I had ever seen before, but it was gone when I came back just over a month later.
Later I had similar problems trying to get La Pucelle Tactics(and I had no clue the 2 games were related at the time), but I eventually got it and loved it(obviously). Even later I saw Phantom Brave in stores and noticed that on the box it said it was from the makers of Disgaea(although I didn't actually get Phantom Brave until the PSP version came out a few years ago), and out of curiosity I checked my La Pucelle Tactics box because Phantom Brave looked kind of similar and sure enough it had Nippon Ichi Software all over it so I decided I would get anything even remotely similar to La Pucelle Tactics by NIS from then on.
When the PSP version of Disgaea 1 came out I snatched it up right away since it was one of the only good RPGs I could get on my PSP at the time, and I played it for a while, but eventually it just seemed much too complicated and it took much longer to get the fairly powerful characters I was used to having in La Pucelle.
It wasn't until Disgaea 2 portable before I really actually started playing Disgaea(right around the time I became a member here), and that was mostly because of the momentary hype I got from thinking we would get the Dark Eclair dlc, but eventually I quit the English version and bought the Japanese version with all the dlc(along with La Pucelle: Ragnarok and its dlc) but I still haven't really played it much.

Now I am kind of stuck in a funny position because I have never actually finished a Disgaea game. I only really play Disgaea games with La Pucelle characters in them(although I usually do like the Disgaea main casts(especially 1 and 2)) and I am a whole 4 games behind(despite owning every single different version for each game in the series so far minus Disgaea 1 PS2 and Disgaea 2 PS2).

I am probably going to start from scratch and finally beat either Disgaea 1 PSP or Disgaea DS(which I bought for Pleinair and the Disgaea 2 characters, of course), then Disgaea 2 PSP Jap, then Disgaea 3 Vita Jap(I bought the Japanese version thinking there was going to be dlc I might miss out on...), then Disgaea 4 Vita when it comes out and I have the money(probably the Japanese version because I just know there will be dlc), and then hopefully Disgaea D2 will have a Vita version by the time I finish all the rest of the NIS games.

I am really more of a La Pucelle, Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave fan than a Disgaea fan.

Haga
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Haga » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:25 pm

My first taste of Disgaea came with Phantom Brave in 2005. An internet friend recommended it to me and I jumped at the chance the second I saw the game. After that I picked up Disgaea and ended up letting my grades in high school suffer because of it. I bought Makai Kingdom the day it came out on my way to work and lost sleep because of that one. I picked up every copy on the day that it was released ever since then. I even spent an entire paycheck (almost $900) on a PS3 and Disgaea 3 and the strategy guide in 2008 when it was released. xD I preorder the hell out of all of the the releases since then. Disgaea is my addiction.

Shadow
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Shadow » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm

When Disgaea 2 was released in Europe, I got a call from a friend asking if I'd played it yet. I didn't know the series so I went around and watched him play for a few hours. After getting a feel for it, I instantly marched to the closest game store and picked up a copy.

After that, I went rather NIS crazy. I got my hands on Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle Tactics and of course the first Disgaea. Now I own all of the Disgaea games, have collected more NIS games (Soul Nomad for example) and even picked up series they published (such as the Atelier - includes Mana Khemia - and Ar Tonelico series of games).

Then I moved into the anime for Disgaea (got it all on DVD), collected the first manga volume and have a few art books too.

Even though I started out with the second Disgaea, I much preferred the first one and am happy for a return with Disgaea D2. Disgaea is in my top 3 favourite game series and it's the reason I replaced my PS3 when my launch one died last month, just to play D2 (ok, GTA V as well but more about Disgaea).

Much like Haga, I guess you could consider Disgaea my addiction. Then again, i've loved all NIS franchises since I started collecting in mid 2006 and i've never looked back.
Now Playing: Disgaea 5! - PAL Region

Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Chamaeleonx » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:07 am

sanchezjohnny58 wrote:How I got into disgaea... I was in middleschool and never really played any rpgs so one day I went to a video game store and they had this bin with cheap unpopular games.this was around the time when disgaea was just starting out and wasnt to known and was only on ps2. My friends mom picked out disgaea 1 out of the bin and it was for 9$. Since I only had 10$ I thought why not looks interesting. at fisrt I thought laharl was a wild little girl, judging from the game cover. but when I started playing the game I fell in love with the story and gameplay, and finally realized he was a dude. Ive been a disgaea and rpg fan ever since. I will love disgaea for life! Any other interesting storys of how you got into disgaea?

Almost had the same encounter with Disgaea. My family was at a Mall and i had time due to them eating icecream and looking for shoes. So i went to the Gamestop inside the Mall as always, looking for unusal games. At the end of the shop i found Disgaea 2 with the Soundtrack for 10 Euro and thought "Why not", always liked anime anyway. So i brought it and played the hell out of it before i got: Disgaea for PS2, the PSP only for Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, Disgaea 3 + Vita Version, Disgaea 4, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomads and now Disgaea D2 ;D.

If some of your friends want to start with Disgaea, i think Disgaea D2 is a good start, the tutorials and introduction is even better then in Disgaea 4. The pacing is slower too, most features get unlocked later so you dont get overwhelmed.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Warrior: Time to bust some Balls! :>

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Write me a PM if you have questions, im online daily.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Magic User Guide for easy LoC Stat Farming: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13494

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby nroejb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Uh story time.
I don't really think my story is interesting, but here I go.

After playing my first JRPG Final Fantasy VII, I got very interested in JRPG's.
A friend of my brother lend him his copy of Tactics Ogre: Let us Clink Together.
Until today probably my favourite game (Not the PSP version though).
It led me to similar Games (tactic Iso JRPG's) like Front Mission 3 which is another all time favourite of mine.

When I heard (read in a video game magazine, didn't have internet back then) that Atlus was going to publish another game along these lines, I was quite exited.
When I saw that is was a comedic game (which was quite the change) I was uncertain, since I wasn't sure if it works with the gameplay (Okay the pothole joke in Realms of Arkania two was comedic gold, but it was an overall serious game).

After seing a picture of a discussion between Etna and Flonn I was sure that I wanted it.
However, it was my brother who sold his blood plasm to make that purchase. I much later traded it with my Ghost in the Shell: SAC1 DVD Collection.

When I first played it, it almost instantly became another all time favourite video game
(after Realms of Arkania, Tactics Ogre and Front Mission, my 4th favourite of that genre, 4 out of 9 back then, 6/9 if you count Ufo: Enemy Unknown and Masters of Magic to be of the same Genre).

Disgaea 2 was a little harder to get into, but the longer I played , the more I loved it. Disgaea 3 put my relationship on hiatus as to me the gameplay seemed unecessarily complicated and the plot and characters mostly a copy from the first game.
However after some hesitation I still tried out Disgaea 4, which was a smart move, since to me that one was great again.

Still I remained some distrust towards Disgaea as I was again distrusting towards Disgaea D2 especially after seeing the female heavy knight and Flonns transformation.
But I only had forgotten that Disgaea mainly lives by using old clishés and deliberately pushing them up to eleven/over the edge, stupid me (Still don't like the Heavy Knight).

Well that was even longer and more boring then planed, my sincere apologies to all who read it.

DarkPrier wrote:[...] Now I am kind of stuck in a funny position because I have never actually finished a Disgaea game. I only really play Disgaea games with La Pucelle characters in them(although I usually do like the Disgaea main casts(especially 1 and 2)) and I am a whole 4 games behind(despite owning every single different version for each game in the series so far minus Disgaea 1 PS2 and Disgaea 2 PS2).
[...]
I am really more of a La Pucelle, Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave fan than a Disgaea fan.

1) Well I finished all of them, only started post game stuff for Disgaea 3 on the Vita though.
But I can relate to the multiple purchase pattern, I have both the NTSC and Pal version of most NIS games.
I only have one Japanese game (La Pucelle: Ragnarok), but would have probably bought the Japanese D2 as well if it had Eclair as guest character instead of only the, to me, less interesting half of her.

2)No Soul Nomad? Oh! Well maybe to old Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen fans like me it was more of a fit.

DeadlyLampshade
Vassal
Vassal

Postby DeadlyLampshade » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:43 pm

I was hearing about Disgaea and I decided to get Disgaea DS (wasn't a fan of the port, but I liked the game,) eventually I got Disgaea 3 and now Disgaea D2.

ErotiicOreo
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ErotiicOreo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:23 pm

I have been with Disgaea from the beginning. I picked it up not long after the release as well, and instantly fell in love with it. See I was replaying Final Fantasy Tactics and I fell in love with the combat system. I saw an anime game which brought me close and then I saw the grid on the back cover and I bought it instantly. I became engrossed with the story and fighting system and then finally put it down after like 2 playthroughs. I picked up Disgaea 2 the instant I saw it, which was much after release. I played it and beat it, but then was sad that there wasn't another one coming out (to my knowledge at the time.) I had an Xbox 360 and when I heard D3 was on PS3 I got mad. I watched the anime, and even roleplayed Disgaea on a forum, because that's what I was into at the time. There was nothing I could do to play it and I was disappointed. 2 years later I finally got a PS3, but it didn't click until later that year that I could play Disgaea because I hadn't played in such a long time. Later that year I found myself replaying Disgaea 1+2, I realized that I could buy Disgaea 3+4. I played those and then I started to pick up other NIS games, like cross edge and phantom brave, I even tried Neptunia, but it didn't give me the same feeling although they were kind of entertaining. When I saw Disgaea D2 streamed in japanese one day I kept track of when it was coming to the US and I got it for Christmas this year ^^.

DarkPrier
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby DarkPrier » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 am

nroejb wrote:2)No Soul Nomad? Oh! Well maybe to old Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen fans like me it was more of a fit.

I was ok with the story of Soul Nomad, but the gameplay really didn't interest me at all.
Soul Nomad also doesn't have a portable version(and likely never will now), and I only play NIS games on portable systems now(I actually just got Makai Kingdom in the form of the PSP port yesterday).

Return to “Disgaea Series”