Your History with disgaea

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Your History with disgaea

Postby dood » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:36 pm

October 2009 I was 12 years old and I was looking at the PSP psn games and I saw D2 DHD and I bought it. And ever since then I have loved the Disgaea games. The same year I got Makai Kingdom and thought it was funny. I didn't get a PS3 until 2011 so I got D3 and D4 in the same month that year and I liked them a whole lot. I got Phantom Brave PSP in 2012 and got DD2 this year and Now I am waiting for D5 to be released in Japan so I can look at character designs.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

DarkPrier
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby DarkPrier » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:04 pm

dood wrote:October 2009 I was 12 years old and I was looking at the PSP psn games and I saw D2 DHD and I bought it. And ever since then I have loved the Disgaea games. The same year I got Makai Kingdom and thought it was funny. I didn't get a PS3 until 2011 so I got D3 and D4 in the same month that year and I liked them a whole lot. I got Phantom Brave PSP in 2012 and got DD2 this year and Now I am waiting for D5 to be released in Japan so I can look at character designs.

I wish games like Disgaea existed when I was 12 years old...

When I was 12 I was playing gameboy color and gameboy advance games.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:12 pm

DarkPrier wrote:
dood wrote:October 2009 I was 12 years old and I was looking at the PSP psn games and I saw D2 DHD and I bought it. And ever since then I have loved the Disgaea games. The same year I got Makai Kingdom and thought it was funny. I didn't get a PS3 until 2011 so I got D3 and D4 in the same month that year and I liked them a whole lot. I got Phantom Brave PSP in 2012 and got DD2 this year and Now I am waiting for D5 to be released in Japan so I can look at character designs.

I wish games like Disgaea existed when I was 12 years old...

When I was 12 I was playing gameboy color and gameboy advance games.

I was playing those games when I was 3 years old. I suppose I am on the younger side of things on these forums since I am 16.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Pimpalicious
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Pimpalicious » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:25 am

I came across the game while going to Gamestop to pick up Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and also ended up getting Disgaea. I was really into SRPGs at the time after playing Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.

Etna_Uchiha
Majin
Majin

Postby Etna_Uchiha » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:46 pm

i started off with Disgaea DS at my friends house on a DS emulator i know its illegal but then i fell in love with the series then i bought Disgaea 2 which i loved then i bought cross edge for PS3 just because Etna was in it then i bought trinity universe just because Etna was in it then i bought Disgaea 3 4 and D2
so pretty much me playing Disgaea DS got me interested in pretty much almost anything with Nisa on the case

i hope i don't get banned for this
ive bought 9 games that Nisa published so far and plan on a few more
DLC is just an excuse for devs to hold back content remember once something is on the internet they never forget and never forgive

buttonmasher
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby buttonmasher » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:10 am

It started when I got Phantom Brave(PS2) as a gift and saw these four characters I thought were funny named Laharl, Etna, Flonne and Midboss. After beating PringerX and skiping most of this story I got a psp and found Disgaea. As in PB I found Laharl and the rest funny and it had a great story to the game. I play the games for the cast and story now.
and remember everyone,"bow your heads low, all hail Shadow"!

riffraff
Vassal
Vassal

Postby riffraff » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:31 pm

I don't remember exactly what year it was.. but Soul Nomad was still a relatively new release. I was oblivious to NIS and their PS2 games, had been playing Ultima Online, World of Warcraft and Eve Online so much that I hadn't even noticed. I must have seen something online about Soul Nomad and knew immediately, just looking at the screenshots, that it would be for me. Immediately drove to Fry's Electronics and bought it. What a blast! Since then I was on a hunt to get any and all NIS titles. I was unable to find Disgaea 1, but did pick up Disgaea 2 and Phantom Brave. I also heard about this Makai Kingdom game and was never able to track that one down. There's a PSP version? if there's a digital copy that runs on the Vita I'll most likely grab that. I didn't play Disgaea 2 as much as I did Phantom Brave but still enjoyed it.

The PS3 came out and was very expensive. I eventually bought one to play Minna No Golf 5 (Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf) and eagarly awaited the day NIS would start to develop games on the PS3. I couldn't beleive it when I saw the JP trailers for Disgaea 3... it looked so very good! Knowing there was no chance I would be able to enjoy the JP version fully (don't know Japanese) I had to wait patiently for the english version to come out, which of course it eventually did. Picked up the 1.5 inch thick strategy guide along with the game on launch only to become sick and in the hospital the next day. While there I was often delirious and couldn't sleep because I kept hallucinating that I was playing D3 lol. (TMI? :) I recovered a few days later and was home, able to play the game in reality to my heart's content.

Later picked up Cross Edge, another very good game for the PS3 and quite underrated as far as I'm concerned. Grabbed a Vita when it came out in JP (again, Minna No Golf 6 this time sold me) and when they released Disgaea D3: AoJ for it, that was an easy sell. I didn't play the Vita version all that much but it was nice to have it in portable form. Picked up the digitial version of PSP Phantom Brave.

PS3 then got a Yellow Light of Death and that was that for a bit as I couldn't afford to fix/replace it... until recently when I picked up a new PS3. Disgaea D2 was an obvious choice and I've been having a great time with that as well. I probably should have gone with Disgaea 4 first (might have done so if there was a digital download version) but I'll just wait for the Vita version and grab it for that system instead.

I've never been too into the story of these games, especially in the Disgaea series.. but the gameplay mechanics are so good. The art style is so satisfying, and the humor/wtf moments in the games have made me a lifelong fan. They are definitely on my very short list of publishers/developers of which I'll buy anything they release sight unseen. BTW the list is: Sir-tech (rip), TECMO/Team Ninja, Clap Hanz, and Nippon Ichi.

Looking forward to playing the Guided Fate Paradox when I've had my fill of Disgaea D2 and, of course, anything else NIS produces.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:28 am

Mine is a rather simple one:
My cousin was actually the one who got me excited about it. He talked about this new game that was coming out that was like Final Fantasy Tactics. We read up on it and got hyped together and I've been a big fan since! Though D2 I just never got around to beating. He also stopped being interested in it after the first one (though he really liked the first one).
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:18 am

Huh, thought I replied here already.

I actually first got exposed to N1 long before I got hooked on their games. There was a little freebie booklet for Makai Kingdom in Gamestop that I picked up one day when browsing, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. The designs really drew me in and the art style and other stuff just looked great... but for some insane reason, I thought it was an MMO, so I never pushed the subject beyond busting out that booklet every so often to admire the art.

Fast forward a few years, the PS3 is almost out, but I've been exposed to Disgaea's writing through a friend and really want to play and experience that for myself. So I finally get a PS2 and, ironically, couldn't find Disgaea anywhere... but Makai Kingdom, ironically, I found. I got hooked, later found other N1 titles, never beat a Disgaea until 3 (then went back and beat 1 and 2 and made them all know who was boss in their ports), and to this day, Makai Kingdom is still my second favorite N1 title.

Disgaea 2 on PSP was the first one that I ever really got somewhat "hardcore" with (Disgaea 3 was close, but other games kept taking me away from it), but Disgaea 4 was where I really got into all the insane grinding parts of the game. Loved it. A bit late, but better late than never, right?

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Picked up Disgaea Hour of Darkness on the DS in like 2008, liked it a lot. Got in 2012 and got Disgaea 3 as one of my first pickups. I got a PS3 for Christmas that year, got Disgaea 4, the year after Disgaea D2. With the Disgaea 4 Vita enhanced version announced, I'll be picking that up as well.

The Master
Vassal
Vassal

Postby The Master » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I remember seeing Disgaea: Hour of Darkness floating around and I really liked the anime inspired art, but I didn't buy it right away as NIS was unknown to me. Eventually I got it for the PSP and I was hooked! Eventually I added Disgaea 2 for the PlayStation 2, then 3 & 4 for my PlayStation 3. I just love the humor to these games. Plus, the great thing about these games is that the main characters usually have these huge goals that they actually fulfill.
Spoiler:
In the first Disgaea I never thought Laharl would get the title of Overlord, but when I got there I was like "YES, I'M THE OVERLORD!!"[people stared at me quite puzzled lol]
. I also got Makai Kingdom just to figure what the deal was with The Badass Overlord and why those characters kept appearing in Disgaea. And recently I picked up a PS Vita so I can have Disgaea 3 with me at all times and Disgaea D2. Also, I just bought Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? and Prinny 2. Lately, I've been gathering NIS titles here and there to satiate my insatiable appetite for all things Disgaea related.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Belatedly, welcome to the forums, Master!

On another note, have you ever tried ZHP?

The Master
Vassal
Vassal

Postby The Master » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Seventh wrote:Belatedly, welcome to the forums, Master!

On another note, have you ever tried ZHP?

Yes, but I didn't get very far. I believe I'm still at the beginning where the guy is getting trained to become a proper Unlosing Ranger. I need to pull myself away from Disgaea D2...Curse you Pringer Z.. CURSE YOU!!!

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 pm

You should someday! Fantastic game, and I personally think it's one if N1's best.

Good luck with D2 though.

The Master
Vassal
Vassal

Postby The Master » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Seventh wrote:You should someday! Fantastic game, and I personally think it's one if N1's best.

Good luck with D2 though.

Thanks, I definitely will. :)

Return to “Disgaea Series”