Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
User avatar
mordaki987
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby mordaki987 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 pm

it isn't an agruement really its more a statement of truth and how addons and downloadable content should be. the same could be said for mass effect downloadable content and addons anyway its not really an arguement as i see it.

User avatar
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby dood » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:35 pm

mordaki987 wrote:it isn't an agruement really its more a statement of truth and how addons and downloadable content should be. the same could be said for mass effect downloadable content and addons anyway its not really an arguement as i see it.



And why should it be that way? I don't see why it should be cheaper or free. If they were charging 5$ per character I could understand the complaints but as it is now? I don't see a problem. If they never made the DLC and there was just the game would you ask for the game to be cheaper? No you wouldn't. And the DLC is made after the game comes out in Japan. Just like it's translated after the main game is in EU and US.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

User avatar
Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby Chamaeleonx » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:30 am

dood wrote:
mordaki987 wrote:it isn't an agruement really its more a statement of truth and how addons and downloadable content should be. the same could be said for mass effect downloadable content and addons anyway its not really an arguement as i see it.



And why should it be that way? I don't see why it should be cheaper or free. If they were charging 5$ per character I could understand the complaints but as it is now? I don't see a problem. If they never made the DLC and there was just the game would you ask for the game to be cheaper? No you wouldn't. And the DLC is made after the game comes out in Japan. Just like it's translated after the main game is in EU and US.


Its 2,99 for one character, which they only have to add to the game. Its not like they need to design them new or anything. Its the same assets, same spells, evility is a small change maybe. They dont even need voices.
I find it expensive, even if im buying it :/.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Warrior: Time to bust some Balls! :>

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Write me a PM if you have questions, im online daily.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Magic User Guide for easy LoC Stat Farming: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13494

User avatar
BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:22 am
Location: Ee-are-th (Earth)

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby BlancnOut » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:29 am

No one answered my question. Why is it wrong this time? They've charged about the same before, just answer me this.

Leave the trophy argument aside, and just talk prices.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!


Image

User avatar
ChirunoHakurei
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 am
Location: Misty Lake - Gensokyo
Contact:

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby ChirunoHakurei » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 am

Is the DLC out yet? Or we gonna have to wait till Nov 5 U.S time?
Image
Image

User avatar
BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:22 am
Location: Ee-are-th (Earth)

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby BlancnOut » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Prolly gotta wait.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!


Image

User avatar
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby dood » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 pm

BlancnOut wrote:No one answered my question. Why is it wrong this time? They've charged about the same before, just answer me this.

Leave the trophy argument aside, and just talk prices.



That's what I have been waiting for. All I want is a valid argument for why it should be lower.

@Chamaeleon I don't see what that has to do with it. But if you want I will argue against your point. Let's take Adell as the main example. They have to make new animations for him. The mounting animations have to be done along with the weapon animations that are for this game. And there are A LOT of weapon animations. But that's not it. They have to take any old animations from D4 and program them into the game. Then after they have done this for 1st round DLC they need to make a patch so it will be compatible with DD2. So yes there is quite a bit of work that goes into the DLC. And That was just for DLC that is using old sprites from D4.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

User avatar
Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby Chamaeleonx » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 am

Why should it be that high?
Of course, if you pay in Dollar is easier, I know. But I pay 2,99 Euro for 1 character :/.

But you can understand that you mostly pay double the normal price if you get all DLC, right?.. Thats what most people are angry about because a lot of developers develop the DLC during the game development and just let you download a 100KB file to activate it :/.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Warrior: Time to bust some Balls! :>

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Write me a PM if you have questions, im online daily.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Magic User Guide for easy LoC Stat Farming: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13494

User avatar
BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:22 am
Location: Ee-are-th (Earth)

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby BlancnOut » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:46 am

-sigh- allow me to reiterate: Why is it wrong this time?

I understand what you're saying and all, but like I said, they've always done this.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!


Image

User avatar
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby dood » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:01 am

Chamaeleonx wrote:Why should it be that high?
Of course, if you pay in Dollar is easier, I know. But I pay 2,99 Euro for 1 character :/.

But you can understand that you mostly pay double the normal price if you get all DLC, right?.. Thats what most people are angry about because a lot of developers develop the DLC during the game development and just let you download a 100KB file to activate it :/.



Yeah I know the whole double price thing but most people won't be buying all of the DLC. So really it's only a problem for people who are going to be buying all of the DLC. I doubt that small percentage of people will really matter to the whole of the company. And I still maintain the point that BlacnOut is trying to make as well. Why is it so bad this time and in the case of the other games it's ok? No one complained about it then and no one is complaining about them doing it for those games right now.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

littlewierdo
New Vassal
New Vassal
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby littlewierdo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Why is it wrong THIS TIME?
Or, is it Why is it wrong?

There isnt much of a difference.

To state that 'this is how they have always done it' justifies what exactly? That its ok? No and if you are using this as your basis for justifying your purchase of the DLC, you have no clear understanding of history in economics or politics. MANY things have happened since the beginning of man and it still doesnt make it right.

Lets look back at the DLC for the 2 prior Disgaea games and the planned release schedule of D2...

Disgaea 3: Game currently is $20 brand new on Amazon.
Disgaea 3 DLC: Total cost is $50 (for the complete bundle)

Disgaea 4: Game currently is $20 brand new on Amazon.
Disgaea 4 DLC: Total cost is ~$120
http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=dlc ... rttype=asc

Disgaea D2: Game currently is $40 brand new on Amazon, $50 digitally, lets use the higher $50 price.
Disgaea D2 DLC: Total cost is $64, this is NOT including Raspberyl which will likely be unannounced additional dlc for those that didnt pick up the strategy guide.
http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=dlc ... =disgaead2

If we look at the most outrageous example, Disgaea 4, the DLC is priced at 6 times the cost of the actual game. lets even consider that Disgaea 4 was still $50 brand new, the DLC is nearly 2.5 times as expensive as the actual game. Disgaea 3, if we assume the game is $50, the DLC is the same price as the actual game.

So, what you are basically saying is that the DLC is worth more than the actual game on the disk?

Its too damn expensive. Add to that there is still no digital version of D3 and D4, something many of us including myself would purchase just so I dont have to put the disk in.

Just because they've always done it doesnt mean they should continue to do it. If you want to know whats wrong with DLC, NIS is showing clearly exactly what the problem with it is. They are violating every ethical video game trope on peoples minds right now in game journalism with regards to DLC, pre-order bonus's, exclusive DLC for purchasing a mediocre strategy guide, and overpriced DLC that ends up costing more than the game itself.

Well, I guess one thing we can be thankful for is they didnt do retailer specific pre-order bonus's...

'Que the 'you dont have to buy it' arguments, well, I dont have to buy said game either. Many would like to purchase more of the DLC but at the price point, its way too expensive. Its not out of our grasp for purchasing (lets be honest, even if you cant afford $120 all at once for the DLC in Disgaea 4, you can purchase $10-$20 at a time), its that its so overpriced that its a hard purchase to justify.

There are many purchases that many of us choose not to make because the value for value proposition isnt there. Consider this, if a box of toothpicks were $20, very few would buy them. Not because we cant afford $20 to buy a box of toothpicks but rather at a price of $20, its hard to justify the value for value proposition. We do this all the time, its not a 'cant afford' situation, its a value for value proposition. Is all the DLC in Disgaea 4 worth $120? Considering what you get in the game box? Id say no and I think any honest person at NIS would say the same thing. Their DLC is too expensive.

User avatar
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby dood » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Your problem is the fact that you add the total price of all of the DLC for one game. Most people don't buy all of the DLC and no one expects them to. Maybe you should look at it like this. Say you bought a character to play as in the game. The character is 3$. Look at it by itself and it doesn't seem so bad now does it? If someone buys all of the DLC then yes it's a lot more than it should be.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

littlewierdo
New Vassal
New Vassal
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby littlewierdo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Actually, it does, at $3 a character, thats still alot of money. I added all the dlc together to show a true 'big picture' of just how expensive the dlc really is and I think the only way you can look at this is from a 'big picture' perspective.

When it all comes down to it, you'll buy it if you want it (for whatever the reason).

For some reason, people defend the high prices because they feel that these companies actually give a damn OR they feel they have to defend their purchase OR that they need to defend the company because they feel it makes such a good product (usually based on opinion, not fact) - (theres a certain fruit company that fits in nicely here).

Ive purchased everything in the Disgaea main series of games (Disgaea 1-4 and D2 - Im sorry, I disagree with the Wiki, I dont consider D2 to be a 'spinoff' of the main series) and all the DLC for all of the games. This also includes the PSP / Vita versions. It doesnt mean Im thrilled about the pricing of their DLC.

In my toothpick example, $20 wont break the bank for a box but that would be an outrageous price, even if the price were five times their normal price at $5 for a box (they go for $1 around here). Now imagine everything you purchased at your store visit were 5 times the price, it makes you think twice about it.

Again, piece meal, it doesnt seem that expensive but when you take the whole picture in, its much more expensive than it should be.

And of course, we still sit here without a patch, NIS is asking money for DLC while alot of us cant even play the game.

User avatar
Laharl2nd
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:40 am

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby Laharl2nd » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:50 pm

NIS Is a budget company unlike alot of others they NEED the dlc support we give them. I always buy all dlc for every disgaea. NISA needs the help to. they aren't greedy they need this money in order to keep producing games. you do realize how budgeted both NIS and NISA are right? they have almost bankrupt only to be saved by disgaea 4. don't complain about dlc cause they need all the help they can get. Get who you want if you don't want to pay for all of it.

User avatar
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: Disgaea D2 addons and downloadable content

Postby dood » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 pm

@littleweirdo

I don't defend the prices because of any of the reasons you stated. I defend the prices because I think the DLC I pay for is worth the price that I pay for it. I just hold it at that value. Nothing more nothing less. I think 3 bucks for a character is fine. If it was 3 bucks for a weapon or something like that then I would complain all day and night. I'm fine with paying 3$ per character for some nostalgia or even just a new character all together.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU


Return to “Disgaea Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests