do you play disgaea mainly for the game play?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!

well do you?

Yes
78%
No (explain why)
22%

Total votes: 23

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: do you play disgaea mainly for the game play?

Postby dood » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:31 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:Part of the reason I didn't like Disgaea D2 was because they reverted back to gameplay mechanics I didn't like and the story was too thin to back it up. That's not to say it was poorly written or anything, it just felt quick and not very substantial. Cutscenes were shorter and more infrequent than they had ever been before and the plot was so bare-bones that the first half is literally nothing but screwing around to pad things out.

So yeah, it's a lot of both. I'm hoping they don't pull a stunt like that again because I'm really big into the NIS-verse and I thought Disgaea D2 was kind of missed potential.

Then again, TGFP came right after it and it was quite substantial. So maybe it was just DD2 being a side project.

Screwing around to pad things out means it is badly written. A story shouldn't waste time.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:21 am

dood wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:Part of the reason I didn't like Disgaea D2 was because they reverted back to gameplay mechanics I didn't like and the story was too thin to back it up. That's not to say it was poorly written or anything, it just felt quick and not very substantial. Cutscenes were shorter and more infrequent than they had ever been before and the plot was so bare-bones that the first half is literally nothing but screwing around to pad things out.

So yeah, it's a lot of both. I'm hoping they don't pull a stunt like that again because I'm really big into the NIS-verse and I thought Disgaea D2 was kind of missed potential.

Then again, TGFP came right after it and it was quite substantial. So maybe it was just DD2 being a side project.

Screwing around to pad things out means it is badly written. A story shouldn't waste time.

Not necessarily.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:44 am

I haven't played D2 so I can't exactly comment, but there's been some screwing around in every Disgaea on some level I think. Was it just worse in D2?

I'm already miffed at the gameplay changes admittedly, but I'll still get it if it gets a port at least.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:06 am

Seventh wrote:I haven't played D2 so I can't exactly comment, but there's been some screwing around in every Disgaea on some level I think. Was it just worse in D2?

I'm already miffed at the gameplay changes admittedly, but I'll still get it if it gets a port at least.

I wouldn't say it was worse, it just felt more obvious that they were doing more stalling than having fun.

Again, the shorter, more infrequent cutscenes really exacerbated this issue.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:12 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
dood wrote:

Not necessarily.

No not necessarily but in this case it is. If they were screwing around in a fun way or a humorous way I wouldn't mind. But it's just boring.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby nroejb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:01 pm

The game is nearly perfect, the storyline, characters and gamplay are all very good.
The gameplay is a mayor reason for me to play the game (I only miss a higher enemy ai), but not the only one.

Soluzar
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Soluzar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:10 am

As much as I enjoy the characters and some parts of the story, I have to say it is the gameplay that keeps me coming back. If the character empowerment gameplay wasn't so awesome I probably would have just beat the story and then moved on. As it is, there's a lot of things to do and it's fun to build up to them. I've been enjoying that since the start.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 pm

I don't, though it's a close second. I mainly play the main story and stop after that.

Return to “Disgaea Series”