Should i skip 1 and 2?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
axillarypuma
New Vassal
New Vassal

Should i skip 1 and 2?

Postby axillarypuma » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:13 pm

ok so im freaking excited that my psvita is getting here next week, with disgaea 3 and p4g, ok so here's my question, should i skip disgaea 1 and 2?

You See, i live in south america (venezuela) and here games are crazy expensive, so i bought the vita plus the two games from amazon and have 50 spare bucks, i could:

A) buy disgaea 1 and 2 and another psp game or
B) buy a vita game(digitally) and one psp game.

I love the disgaea games, but i dont have much money, and as i said prices in games here are inflated, i mean if a game is worth 40 bucks in the US, here its worth like 100$, maybe even 150$.

Anyways, thanks in advance

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Should i skip 1 and 2?

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:37 pm

You don't need to play them to understand the later ones. Also they don't flow as well mechanically either, especially the first.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:53 pm

To be completely honest, I don't think it's necessary to buy the first two games unless you're a fan of the series. Disgaea 1 has the 'best' story but the the gameplay is way too slow compared to the new ones. Disgaea 2 was alright for the PSP because of the content you get for your money, but again, it's alot of work if you want to get the full experience.

I liked 1 & 2, don't get me wrong, but I say it's better if you get the newer ones as they've improved so much since then.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

axillarypuma
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby axillarypuma » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, well i'll think about it, but i might skip them because i dont know if i have the patience to play them all, but eh, who knows, thanks anyways

jamesstuller
Majin
Majin

Postby jamesstuller » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:06 pm

axillarypuma wrote:ok so im freaking excited that my psvita is getting here next week, with disgaea 3 and p4g, ok so here's my question, should i skip disgaea 1 and 2?

You See, i live in south america (venezuela) and here games are crazy expensive, so i bought the vita plus the two games from amazon and have 50 spare bucks, i could:

A) buy disgaea 1 and 2 and another psp game or
B) buy a vita game(digitally) and one psp game.

I love the disgaea games, but i dont have much money, and as i said prices in games here are inflated, i mean if a game is worth 40 bucks in the US, here its worth like 100$, maybe even 150$.

Anyways, thanks in advance

Hell no buy them digitally as both are better then disgaea 3.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:23 pm

@jamesstuller

Disgaea 1 and 2 have better stories but Disgaea 3 has better gameplay.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

ErotiicOreo
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ErotiicOreo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:03 pm

This is would not even be a choice for me tbh but here is my 2 cents. Lets see Disgaea 1+2 both have much better stories than Disgaea 3. Although you have increased speed and more mechanics in Disgaea 3 the story is just very underwhelming. Although I don't really care for persona's battle system, I play them for the story and again I feel that the previous title(Persona 3) beats it in that respect. Honestly do you want something that's pretty, and flows a bit more smoothly, or do you want a much better story to dive into, but with more dated(but still great) gameplay.

axillarypuma
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby axillarypuma » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:34 am

Hi and sorry for the late reply, well i know the first one and the second one are slower, but i dont mind that, my problem is that the staggering amount of content keeps me from finishing them, and about the story, well i don't mind it at all because i don't expect a good story anyways, it's not one of disgaea's strong points.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:33 pm

axillarypuma wrote:Hi and sorry for the late reply, well i know the first one and the second one are slower, but i dont mind that, my problem is that the staggering amount of content keeps me from finishing them, and about the story, well i don't mind it at all because i don't expect a good story anyways, it's not one of disgaea's strong points.

The story in Disgaea is not really important but if you're like me then you get fucking pissed at bad stories, but obviously you don't. Really if I were you I would just start at 2 then move through the series in order of when they came out. I think that you'll like the games more if you do that.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

アクターレ
Majin
Majin

Postby アクターレ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:28 pm

I played them all in release order from the original Disgaea all the way to D2.

I regret nothing, and personally I think you will enjoy D2 a lot more if you played the original Disgaea.

The original Disgaea is a bit old now but it's still a great game IMO.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Play them in release order. There you go.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Laharl
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Laharl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:47 pm

You for sure don't want to skip 1, it's the best in the series. 8-)

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:00 am

Also, I feel I should've mentioned, if you are able to play the games' updated re-releases, then do so. The extra content is always worth it.
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Laharl wrote:You for sure don't want to skip 1, it's the best in the series. 8-)

Yes he should because objectively it's not. The gameplay is the worst in the series and the stories in Disgaea aren't worth playing the games for.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 pm

dood wrote:
Laharl wrote:You for sure don't want to skip 1, it's the best in the series. 8-)

Yes he should because objectively it's not. The gameplay is the worst in the series and the stories in Disgaea aren't worth playing the games for.

Don't listen to this heathen.

Return to “Disgaea Series”