Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
BrokenKing
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby BrokenKing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:28 am

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:To answer the topic question first: No, I am not tired of them, but I am really sick of seeing Laharl and Etna’s personalities getting mistreated. Laharl in most cameos act even more immature then he did at the beginning of the first Disgaea, making his maturing throughout the first game a waste of time in outside context. When Etna is only allowed to talk about how much she likes sweets and make the flat chested joke it is disheartening to me, because I know there is so much more to that character. I still enjoy their cameos to an extent, but they are very far from being as enjoyable as they could be.

This! This is pretty much my feelings in a nutshell! I love having the Disgaea 1 trio around and all, but a lot of times their personalities in the cameo appearances make it seem like everything that happened in D1 was pointless...

... Huh?
Why is it I suddenly can't imagine Laharl outside of random cameo failing...? >_>

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:59 am

Really, I don't understand people's complaining all that much. I think for a lot of people it's that 'first' feeling. They played Disgaea 1 first, and therefore it tends to be the strongest in their hearts. When, if you can kick that nostalgia feeling to the curb (which I'm GREAT at ~), they weren't the super amazing thing you thought of in terms of development. And, Laharl's about the same as I remember him, as well as Flonne, and Etna. ESPECIALLY Flonne. Why do people forget that Flonne gained immaturity/demon tendencies as the game went on? Kinda the reason she became a fallen Angel (sure there was some story stuff here/there about it, but you have to admit the main thing about D1 was Laharl was becoming more like an angel, while Flonne was becoming more like a demon, and Etna was just dealing with Maderas. She didn't exactly 'develop' unless you want to count the totally awesome Etna AU that isn't canon~) >.>. So, I think most people are just blinded by nostalgia factor, and don't really know what they're talking about.

Laharl's development was more about his acceptance of
Spoiler:
his love for his mother/father
than anything else really...>.>
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

BrokenKing
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby BrokenKing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:16 am

Well D1 and D3 were really just stories about growing up (Mao mirrored Laharl in a way while Almaz mirror Flonne in way. In a way. I'm getting off topic). I do see what you are getting at though. And really, all they were really doing was growing up mentally (sorta). I'm not gonna lie personally just like having the three in my party.

As far as the cameo's go though, Laharl isn't wrong. He's destined to lose since he's not the main character. :lol:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:21 am

BrokenKing wrote:Well D1 and D3 were really just stories about growing up (Mao mirrored Laharl in a way while Almaz mirror Flonne in way. In a way. I'm getting off topic). I do see what you are getting at though. And really, all they were really doing was growing up mentally (sorta). I'm not gonna lie personally just like having the three in my party.

As far as the cameo's go though, Laharl isn't wrong. He's destined to lose since he's not the main character. :lol:

I found Mao to be completely different, becuase his wasn't so much about growing up as
Spoiler:
undoing all the mental trauma and manipulation Aurum inflicted on him.
But, ah well. At least we can agree Disgaea 1 wasn't the amazing character development that people have been saying on here :lol:
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

BrokenKing
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby BrokenKing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 am

vampko wrote:
BrokenKing wrote:Well D1 and D3 were really just stories about growing up (Mao mirrored Laharl in a way while Almaz mirror Flonne in way. In a way. I'm getting off topic). I do see what you are getting at though. And really, all they were really doing was growing up mentally (sorta). I'm not gonna lie personally just like having the three in my party.

I found Mao to be completely different, becuase his wasn't so much about growing up as
Spoiler:
But, ah well. At least we can agree Disgaea 1 wasn't the amazing character development that people have been saying on here :lol:

It's funny because we look at the games pretty differently. :lol:
But its all cool. 8-)

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:32 am

BrokenKing wrote:
vampko wrote:

Spoiler:

It's funny because we look at the games pretty differently. :lol:
But its all cool. 8-)

That's what's great about it, The story was done in such a way that different people see it differently. Yet still all can enjoy it ~
Spoiler:

AsukaNeumaki
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby AsukaNeumaki » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:48 am

The Growth of Disgaea 1 Main Characters

Laharl: Was a spoiled brat who realized that he had feelings that he never thought he had and realized that he actually cared about Flonne and by the end of Disgaea 1 now has a pure heart. 2-4: He's obsessed with being the main character again becomeing a spo9iled brat again.
Etna: She didn't grow very much besides getting (some) respect for Laharl near the end. Now a sweets loving maniac. I mean in the first game did she ever really like sweets. No the whole sweets came from laharl eating her pudding which if I was Etna I'd be pretty pissed too I mean they say in Infintie how rare it is and very delicious that she payed HL for.
Flonne: Still a love freak. But also now a crazy otaku.
ImageImageImage

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 am

AsukaNeumaki wrote:The Growth of Disgaea 1 Main Characters

Laharl: Was a spoiled brat who realized that he had feelings that he never thought he had and realized that he actually cared about Flonne and by the end of Disgaea 1 now has a pure heart. 2-4: He's obsessed with being the main character again becomeing a spo9iled brat again.
Etna: She didn't grow very much besides getting (some) respect for Laharl near the end. Now a sweets loving maniac. I mean in the first game did she ever really like sweets. No the whole sweets came from laharl eating her pudding which if I was Etna I'd be pretty pissed too I mean they say in Infintie how rare it is and very delicious that she payed HL for.
Flonne: Still a love freak. But also now a crazy otaku.

Correction, you're basing Laharl off the True End. Which most likely isn't canon at all. You have to remember the game had multiple endings, and it's not necessarily the ending you're thinking of.

Laharl basically grew to accept what love was, that was all that was pretty much guaranteed. The other stuff was mostly dependant on your ending.
Spoiler:

LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:14 am

vampko wrote:Correction, you're basing Laharl off the True End. Which most likely isn't canon at all. You have to remember the game had multiple endings, and it's not necessarily the ending you're thinking of.

The Good ending is the only ending that ends with Laharl staing to be the Overlord and Flonne becoming a Fallen Angel, and if Disgaea Infinite and certain cameos are any indication that is the canon ending. There are hints of the Normal ending being the canon ending in the Prinny games, but in either ending Laharl wants to
Spoiler:
sacrifice himself to save Flonne
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:27 am

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:
vampko wrote:Correction, you're basing Laharl off the True End. Which most likely isn't canon at all. You have to remember the game had multiple endings, and it's not necessarily the ending you're thinking of.

The Good ending is the only ending that ends with Laharl staing to be the Overlord and Flonne becoming a Fallen Angel, and if Disgaea Infinite and certain cameos are any indication that is the canon ending. There are hints of the Normal ending being the canon ending in the Prinny games, but in either ending Laharl wants to
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Flonne is a fallen angel in any but the true end.
Spoiler:

BrokenKing
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby BrokenKing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 am

vampko wrote:
LordLaharlsVassal wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Flonne is a fallen angel in any but the true end.

Spoiler:
No, she's Fallen in the True End too...

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 am

vampko wrote:So, I think most people are just blinded by nostalgia factor, and don't really know what they're talking about.

Honestly, that's my logic for why people still care about them in the first place after how badly they've been treated.

... Okay, maybe just Etna. Give me the developed Laharl back and we'll talk, and Flonne can always stay, but I am done with Etna.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 am

BrokenKing wrote:
Spoiler:

So then, any end is possible really. Cept the ones where
Spoiler:
Laharl dies.
Spoiler:

BrokenKing
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby BrokenKing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 am

vampko wrote:
BrokenKing wrote:
Spoiler:

So then, any end is possible really. Cept the ones where
Spoiler:
Laharl dies.

Well D2 takes place 2 years later so... The Bad End
Spoiler:
(the one everyone lives but Laharl decides to leave) would only work if Laharl decided to return after leaving within those two years.
and the Worst End... Forget it.

Seventh wrote:... Okay, maybe just Etna. Give me the developed Laharl back and we'll talk, and Flonne can always stay, but I am done with Etna.

Spoiler:
Heh

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:24 am

Well I am tired of the trio a lot. I mean I never had an interest in Flonne so I don't mind her for a while. I do know one thing, I'm fine with Axel in the story or making a cameo any time! To be honest the first Disgaea game I played was D2 DHD so this whole nostalgia thing for the first game never happened to me. I really just am tired of seeing them in a cameo.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Return to “Disgaea Series”