Should the Next Disgaea game have a Female Lead?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
OverlordMao
Vassal
Vassal

Should the Next Disgaea game have a Female Lead?

Postby OverlordMao » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Instead of a male lead which has happened through pass four games of disgaea series.

Do you think that Nippon Ichi software should do a female lead for once in the next Disgaea game?.

Good-for-nothing
Majin
Majin

Re: Should the Next Disgaea game have a Female Lead?

Postby Good-for-nothing » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:16 pm

While no Disgaea title has had a female lead, a few of NIS' other SRPGs have (Rhapsody, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, and the lead of Soul Nomad could be male or female). I wouldn't be opposed to a female main protagonist in the next Disgaea game, as I'm sure she'd be in good hands and turn out interesting, giving the team's uncanny ability to churn out memorable character by the bucketfuls. But, really, only if it fits in well with the story as a whole. IE; I wouldn't want a female lead just for the sake of having a female lead.
Bonus: -5

Larkybroages
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Larkybroages » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:20 pm

That'd be fun!

And her hair could be the red thing that stands out and waves!

Laharl- Scarf
Adell: Tie
Mao: Jacket
Val: Cape
Betti: Hair

Then again, Adell had red hair and none of the main characters have had the same hair color. So maybe she can have green hair with a abnormally large red ribbon.

...red ribbon...

Red Ribbon Army!

I digress...I'm sure it'd be interesting. I could see Laharl be like, "You're the main character?! But you're a girl! Hell nah Imma kick yo ass!"

AsukaNeumaki
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby AsukaNeumaki » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 pm

I would LOVE IT if the next lead was a girl. Would be better if she's an angel.
ImageImageImage

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:49 pm

At one time I said I thought it would be good in a thread of basiclly the same topic, I don't know. I know it would be different but I just want a character that is not evil nor has ever been (like Adell).
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

railar
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby railar » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:08 am

Do that, and in one of the extra post game battles Asagi rages because some random female came and trumped her.

I wouldn't mind having a female lead. I'm honestly interested in how they'd do the love interest. If for say, it was an angel, would the male hero be a human, or forbidden demon love (Like in three of the 4 Disgaea's) and hopefully they don't make him some sort of muscle headed tool. Ew. Most of Disgaea's male leads have been slim, but muscular, and that was worked perfectly fine this whole time. Let's not change that xD.

I'd also like to see her have a monster companion. Like Desco. She has mad stats and is hardly a bench-warmer, it'd be cool to have a solid magichange option with her; but i'm not so sure about the evilities thing. Fenrich is good with him relying on Val, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. They can use the permanent space for something way more fitting.

In another question, if the next lead was female, what would you think her personality should be? Headstrong, Tsundere, etc.

Balance
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Balance » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:16 am

Eeehhh i'm a little iffy on this one. I dunno. Although I loved the females leads of the other NISAmerica games, i'm not entriely sure about it in the Disgaea series. It would depend on the story, her personality and how she deals with the situtations she gets into. I get real nitpicky with female characters, main or not, because I feel female characters are easy to read (maybe that's just me because i'm a girl myself) so when they do something expected it's boring. I haven't really been to fond of the female characters in Disgaea to be honest, I mostly only really liked Flonne and Vulcanus the rest I didn't really like as much (but again that's just me) so I feel a little iffy on a female role. But hey if they did i'm not really going to complain I sort of feel like they'd do a good job with it like they did with the female leads in Phantom Brave, La Pucelle and etc. And if they don't then -shrugs- oh well.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:07 pm

I wouldn't mind a female lead if she was like Anna Lemouri from Mana Khemia.
Here is the character if you don't know her-
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:40 pm

That's GUST though, and they've been doing Female leads for like ever.

NIS has also been doing them though.

I'd like to see how they handle a female lead just because of how very different everything would have to be to accomodate that.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 pm

vampko wrote:I'd like to see how they handle a female lead just because of how very different everything would have to be to accomodate that.

Unless the story deals with genetic (the ability to bear children etc.) and/or societal pressure differences between genders I don't see how having a female main character would change things up much (except visually), NIS' stories rarely (if ever) deals with either anyway. Having female characters be inherently different from male characters in other regards would just be stereotyping.
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:23 pm

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:
vampko wrote:I'd like to see how they handle a female lead just because of how very different everything would have to be to accomodate that.

Unless the story deals with genetic (the ability to bear children etc.) and/or societal pressure differences between genders I don't see how having a female main character would change things up much (except visually), NIS' stories rarely (if ever) deals with either anyway. Having female characters be inherently different from male characters in other regards would just be stereotyping.

Oh so true! I just like having male leads as long as they are at least some what relatable (Maybe that's why I wasn't a fan of D1).
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Good-for-nothing
Majin
Majin

Postby Good-for-nothing » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:36 pm

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:Having female characters be inherently different from male characters in other regards would just be stereotyping.

So you wouldn't be interested in seeing a heroine take an hour to 'get ready' before each battle, or ask the other characters if her outfit makes her look fat?
Bonus: -5

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Good-for-nothing wrote:
LordLaharlsVassal wrote:Having female characters be inherently different from male characters in other regards would just be stereotyping.

So you wouldn't be interested in seeing a heroine take an hour to 'get ready' before each battle, or ask the other characters if her outfit makes her look fat?

I don't want to see the Main Character do that kind of stuff.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 pm

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:

Aren't you the one stereotyping things? Plus, females are different from males. We each have our unique traits about us that makes us different from each other, and that helps us to better work with each other. Take two people who are the same in intelligence and skill, and see how far they get. Versus two people with different strengths/weaknesses. I can tell you the second pair will find solutions that individually they never could have thought of. While the first pair, will be stuck in a single path, only doing what they already could do.

Anyway, glossing over all of that, you still have how people, similar to what you just said, call it 'stereotyping' when a female acts in a certain way. Those people will cause a huge commotion. This is also a problem that NIS would have to deal with. There is a mindset on how a female character cannot act, otherwise they are making the wrong statement, and that offends people. Which brings a lot of attention to the game devs/publishers.

For NIS, they'd probably be okay mostly because Japan seems to operate differently, but once it got brought over, you can guarantee there would be problems.

So, yes, NIS has to think about a lot if they make a female lead. And things could not be the same as they were. Well, they could, but that would cause a lot of problems.

I wouldn't mind if they were similar, but if things were the exact same, then it really wouldn't be much effort on NIS' part.

And I think I rambled without any clear direction...I am done with this post :lol:
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

AsukaNeumaki
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby AsukaNeumaki » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:06 pm

It would be funny to have a girle main character like Rozalin only without the occasional bitchyness
ImageImageImage

Return to “Disgaea Series”