Should the Next Disgaea game have a Female Lead?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Should the Next Disgaea game have a Female Lead?

Postby dood » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Uhh what's C3? I want a girl 13-16.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:29 pm

dood wrote:Uhh what's C3? I want a girl 13-16.

Ah, well she's an adult, so I guess that wouldn't count much. It's an Anime.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

The Sneaky Prinny
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby The Sneaky Prinny » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 am

I'd certainly enjoy a female lead, but I don't want it to be forced into it. I've played a good portion of NIS's games, and I'd be hard pressed to come up with one that wasn't good(Wheather or not I actually like some of them is irrelavant, as much as I hate a few of them, my only explanation is "They're dumb") and there's not a doubt in my mind that if they made a female Disgaea lead, they would be jaw-droppingly good.(Nowhere near Priere, of course :lol: )
As for Making them exceptionally girly, why the hell not? If it's realism of characters you're concerned about, I believe a badass ultra-girly, let-me-fix-my-make-up lady belongs somewhere far behind The Sardine-Loving Vampire, The Dirty Frog, The LASER SHOOTING BOOK, The Ax Crazy Princess, ...ECT, ECT... on the Real-o-meter They might run out of gags pretty quick, And we'd have to find a Red Flowey piece of clothing, But it could work, as could a billion other things the wizards(or Skulls, Rather) at NIS crank out, as long as they use swords. Like it or not, MAIN. CHARACTERS. MUST. USE. SWORDS. :ugeek:
Disgaea (really NIS as a whole) is really not limited by the whole "reasonable character" concept. They craft these characters, we love them. Hell, they managed to create the Worst/Most Annoying/Lamest Dark Hero guy in existance, and he's STILL an amazing character that is one of our most beloved. I figure, if they know that the fans kinda want a particular kind of protaginast, they'll kinda see if it works. If the fans must have one, they will put their all into trying it, but they aren't about to force a rubbish plot around anyone, boy, girl, warslug, robot, or genderless abomination alike.

...Woah... kind of a text wall... I really need to work on that. :|
I'm too damn lazy to put anything clever here.

...and as my tag expired, proudly remember me as the official Mid Boss of the Disgaea JSRPG Squad!
(Now imagine taps playing, and let a single, manly tear run down your cheek!)

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 am

I really never saw the appeal in swords...
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:15 am

The Sneaky Prinny wrote:But it could work, as could a billion other things the wizards(or Skulls, Rather) at NIS crank out, as long as they use swords. Like it or not, MAIN. CHARACTERS. MUST. USE. SWORDS. :ugeek:

*cough* Adell *cough*

Also, that's certainly not that bad a wall of text. Well, maybe a wall, I like to refer to posts which are much longer than that as 'books'. :D
vampko wrote:I really never saw the appeal in swords...

Swords are one of the most versatile weapons out there, no medieval knight would be caught dead without one on them (although they often used other stuff as well, just swords pretty much everyone had in some capacity).
You also can have more elaborate fencing matches with swords than most other weapons. :D
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 am

Ringwraith wrote:
The Sneaky Prinny wrote:But it could work, as could a billion other things the wizards(or Skulls, Rather) at NIS crank out, as long as they use swords. Like it or not, MAIN. CHARACTERS. MUST. USE. SWORDS. :ugeek:

*cough* Adell *cough*

Also, that's certainly not that bad a wall of text. Well, maybe a wall, I like to refer to posts which are much longer than that as 'books'. :D

Swords are one of the most versatile weapons out there, no medieval knight would be caught dead without one on them (although they often used other stuff as well, just swords pretty much everyone had in some capacity).
You also can have more elaborate fencing matches with swords than most other weapons. :D

With Fists, you have oh so much more versatility. Claws are even better ~

If some people like them, whatev. I myself find swords to be boring. Well, the standard sort of sword. Two-handed, Rapiers, etc are much more interesting. I still prefer other weapons over even those types of swords. There's already far too many swords in the game culture.
Spoiler:

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 am

vampko wrote:If some people like them, whatev. I myself find swords to be boring. Well, the standard sort of sword. Two-handed, Rapiers, etc are much more interesting. I still prefer other weapons over even those types of swords. There's already far too many swords in the game culture.

I much prefer it when people have reasonably-sized swords, at least some of my favourite characters in JRPGs have reasonably-sized weapons (one of them being female appropriately enough).

RozalinLover
Majin
Majin

Postby RozalinLover » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Same here, if anything I'm more into ranged weapons Guns, Bows, and magic personally. Thanks to Adell I'd prefer fists over swords though, in D1 and D2 Swords were pretty good, but then not so much in D3 or even in D4 for me. :?
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Feel free to add me on Steam

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm

vampko wrote:With Fists, you have oh so much more versatility. Claws are even better ~

I just thought, although you could stage more elaborate fights with fisticuffs, having a weapon means you have the whole 'getting disarmed' thing. You can't really disarm someone's fists (if you do manage it, you've kind of won straight there).

Larkybroages
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Larkybroages » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:21 pm

You've all persuaded me...I now want a monster type to be a main character.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Well now this is why they give us the option for our main characters to use other weapons and not have to stick with the default. I myself find that I like to stick with the default weapon that my character is given because....well I don't know why there is a lot of weird things i do in this series for no reason. Now as for the monster MC idea I disagree because I don't feel monsters being that great in terms of main characters. You can make one rediculously over powered unique monster character and make them the main character but as far as combat it would not be as fun in my opinion.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

The7thGuard
Vassal
Vassal

Postby The7thGuard » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:39 am

Larkybroages wrote:ALSO again! I want a WOMAN! Not a girl for the main lead. I want her girl who is mature is knows about the world.

I agree with this.

I'm trying to break away from them myself. Having Mao specialize in Spears. (Among other members of my group.)
I like swords as much as the next guy , but when you sit Val , Mao & Lah next to each other on the same board & see they all use swords alot , it kinda draws a "meh" moment.

I can't remember who said it , but someone said the female lead should use an Axe. That'd be cool & a breath of fresh air. (Heck , maybe even a new weapon , like a Mace http://www.swordsandarmor.com/images/FLAIL27-1.JPGor Kamas http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Kamas.jpg).

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:56 am

Magichange is annoying in the way that you're forced to use a weapon type you may not have used before. This was a BIG annoyance for me with Fuka. I won't let Desco magichange with anyone but Fuka, and Fuka's naturally an Axe user, yet they made her magichange a sword...I could understand Raspberyl, even though I did NOT build Mao as a sword user, that was his default. So, why didn't Desco magichange into an axe? It always baffled me. Thankfully D3 AoD fixes that, but there should be a patch in the actual D4 for it.

I guess Japan is just fascinated with swords or something? Cause I always get disappointed when I see that it's a sword :|
Spoiler:

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 am

vampko wrote:Magichange is annoying in the way that you're forced to use a weapon type you may not have used before. This was a BIG annoyance for me with Fuka. I won't let Desco magichange with anyone but Fuka, and Fuka's naturally an Axe user, yet they made her magichange a sword...I could understand Raspberyl, even though I did NOT build Mao as a sword user, that was his default. So, why didn't Desco magichange into an axe? It always baffled me. Thankfully D3 AoD fixes that, but there should be a patch in the actual D4 for it.

Well, it did make more sense for Desco seeing as
Spoiler:
her second special is a copy of Disgaea 3's final boss
and it's just therefore an extension of that. Although I agree an axe would make thematic sense regarding Fuka.
vampko wrote:I guess Japan is just fascinated with swords or something? Cause I always get disappointed when I see that it's a sword :|

Well, they tended to be rather big on the swords thing, as that was most samuari's weapon of choice, even if they were wielding another weapon like a bow.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 am

Ringwraith wrote:
vampko wrote:Magichange is annoying in the way that you're forced to use a weapon type you may not have used before. This was a BIG annoyance for me with Fuka. I won't let Desco magichange with anyone but Fuka, and Fuka's naturally an Axe user, yet they made her magichange a sword...I could understand Raspberyl, even though I did NOT build Mao as a sword user, that was his default. So, why didn't Desco magichange into an axe? It always baffled me. Thankfully D3 AoD fixes that, but there should be a patch in the actual D4 for it.

Well, it did make more sense for Desco seeing as
Spoiler:
her second special is a copy of Disgaea 3's final boss
and it's just therefore an extension of that. Although I agree an axe would make thematic sense regarding Fuka.

Especially considering
Spoiler:
she was made to be a partner to Fuka. And I am positive her dad didn't think that her bat that she always carried around was a sword >.>

So, even the story should have supported this.

Plus, giant swords are for
Spoiler:
heroes, not people trying to dominate the world. Axes are much more suitable for that.
Spoiler:

Return to “Disgaea Series”