Anime Anime Anime!

This is where we post official messageboard announcements.
Baru
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Anime Anime Anime!

Postby Baru » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:54 am

While I'm glad NISA is bringing over more anime, I too am saddend by the lack of an English dub for these titles. I enjoy English dubs because they help me feel closer to the characters by being able to hear them in my native language, even if the show is in a Japanese setting I like to hear them speak English.

I'll still get Toradora, but I hope they decide to start dubbing these anime titles at some point down the line... :|

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:09 am

Bloody, I never said I was against dubs. I watch both equally if given the chance to, it's just that the Japanese VA tend to sound more natural when speaking(from what little of it I know). I'm fully aware of that ongoing sub vs dub debate, but really, if you can understand it, there's no argument to be had.

Clephas
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Clephas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:36 am

Though, looking at it from NISA's point of view, the real issue is just cost-effectiveness.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Raugion wrote:Going to pre-order Toradora. I don't care about the dubs since I prefer the Japanese voices anyway. I'm glad to see it's not the 60 for each like it sounded like on ANN.

Well the MSRP for these releases is $59.99 but Rosen Queen, and everyone else who's selling these are selling it at a discount of that price.

Raugion
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Raugion » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:25 am

Yeah, I noticed, but I'm still glad I don't have to pay 60 for it.
I'm not sure whether to be impressed with your tenacity, or amazed by your stupididy at this point. . .

dodge
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby dodge » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:14 am

indeed its good to see a new company out in anime now even tho its sub at least it should be better then subs found on the internet.

yea once i get some money ill buy toradora. subs are better then nothing although i do like dubs easier to watch instead of looking at the subs and not being able to watch the animation completely, ill still get subs if i really want to watch it.

and eventually when NISA has enough money if they want to they can re-release these with dubs would be nice but for now ill stick with subs.

cant wait to be able to get it.

Dodge
ROYAL ATTENDANT
i do crazy things, so you dont have to! :D
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE POST ABOVE ME**
Art : http://dodg-e.deviantart.com
Anime : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kyleremexe

noexcusepunk
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby noexcusepunk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 pm

If yous guys need a video editor, I'm looking for contract work again! So, just let me know if I can be of any assistance, and I can provide references, resume, and letters of recommendations for you!

I know this is probably not the right means to mention it, but there you have it.

Still avidly awaiting news on any other project announcements!
"<Kana> can't you see how manly it is to hug kids to your crotch!?"

dodge
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby dodge » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:01 am

hopefully that NISA sales will be good with there anime and hopefully they'll get more anime out subbed or dubbed

i wouldnt mind NISA geting a few more anime series when they could.

Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru(aka Uraboku) would be a good one to get when its finished and stuff but for now its brand new and stuff so i dont expect to see it out for awhile on DVD or Blu-ray.

hope yall do well.

dodge
ROYAL ATTENDANT
i do crazy things, so you dont have to! :D
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE POST ABOVE ME**
Art : http://dodg-e.deviantart.com
Anime : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kyleremexe

Clephas
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Clephas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:33 am

Personally I'd suggest grabbing Tatakau Shisho ~ Book of Bantorra. The series' plot was surprisingly ingenious, and it appeals to the kind of anime fans who wait for localizations because it is brutal and violent as well. Honestly, one of the best anime that has aired in the last year or so. Though it didn't get much attention, because the first arc is so absolutely weird.

Uraboku is interesting, for the season's token Yaoi series. It might crash and burn or go too far down the heated glances between two biseinen route, but I have hopes that it will have a real plot instead. haha

StarMasayume
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby StarMasayume » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 am

I just joined because I saw this news! For the last month I was wondering when Pandora Hearts might be licensed. You've made my day! When will it be open for pre-order though? I only see pages of the other two out.

Yikes I didn't know it could cost so much for dubbing. Though I think it may be a good idea to have a dub for the masses, I'd prefer a cheaper product in Japanese with subs. I already did that once with Emma (which is funny since it's England setting might fit with English better). But usually I'm already familiar with their Japanese voices so can be more critical because of that.

I'll check out a dub but will almost always watch it in Japanese... most of my friends are pretty die-hard for subs over dubs (or are being converted). Maye it's because of the massive amount of anime we've watched since we were young in Japanese, but the Japanese has become very familiar... the same way reading manga backwards quickly became the norm. You tend to pick out culture references a lot easier and it sounds more natural to me now. Plus I'm not on edge for that one English voice that will annoy me. ^^ I have a few anime dubs on a "white list" with different tolerance levels... and even then it's usually because I'm too lazy to read, am multi-tasking, or am watching with my dad or someone who can't keep up with subs.

I did like what someone before mentioned about sci-fi and anime in English settings might benefit from a dub more than an anime set in Japan. Might be something to consider when looking at titles.

yukiusako
Peon
Peon

Postby yukiusako » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 am

I do like buying anime with the option to watch the dub...though generally I watch the sub anyway. Just nice to have the option...feels more complete from an American release.

That being said...I don't REALLY care. I want Pandora Hearts and want it nao! I can't wait! I hope it has some cool extras. I'll be sure to pre-order it once it's available!

You guys should re-license the Disgaea anime! Now that i think about it it's surprising that that wasn't your first release. While you're at it...join the manga market too and give us the rest of Disgaea 2 and 3....novels would be nice too? Weee. Damn Broccoli for halting publication T_T

wsseet
Peon
Peon

Postby wsseet » Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Oh well..... still getting them though. :?:

hedges1001
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby hedges1001 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 am

Clephas wrote:Personally I'd suggest grabbing Tatakau Shisho ~ Book of Bantorra. The series' plot was surprisingly ingenious, and it appeals to the kind of anime fans who wait for localizations because it is brutal and violent as well. Honestly, one of the best anime that has aired in the last year or so. Though it didn't get much attention, because the first arc is so absolutely weird.

Uraboku is interesting, for the season's token Yaoi series. It might crash and burn or go too far down the heated glances between two biseinen route, but I have hopes that it will have a real plot instead. haha

i only liked the first 4 eps of bantorra i found they killed the best character by that point (colio tonies)

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Sat May 08, 2010 11:41 am

hedges1001 wrote:
Clephas wrote:Personally I'd suggest grabbing Tatakau Shisho ~ Book of Bantorra. The series' plot was surprisingly ingenious, and it appeals to the kind of anime fans who wait for localizations because it is brutal and violent as well. Honestly, one of the best anime that has aired in the last year or so. Though it didn't get much attention, because the first arc is so absolutely weird.

i only liked the first 4 eps of bantorra i found they killed the best character by that point (colio tonies)

Shouldn't that have been under a spoiler? :evil:
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

Ajikage
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Ajikage » Mon May 31, 2010 2:54 pm

bloodyaftertaste wrote:Not sure what so many people have against dubs. While in Japanese or whatever the native language is it does sound nice, but since I don't speak it I lose some of the feeling. While in English I can hear the feeling that match the words that I understand. I'm not saying I never like to watch things in their native language, but English dubs are usually not half as bad as people make them out to be.

Here, I did some cutting and made this comparison. It's a clip from episode 12 of Ah! My Goddess.
Japanese
English
In this case it's clear that the English version is inferior and fails to deliver the feeling.
This is what is seen most often.

And here are examples from X4. I didn't make these ones.
"Iris!" English version from Mega Man X 4
"Iris!" Japanese version from Rockman X 4
But here's the same thing done right in English. It looks like not all hope is lost for English voice actors.
"Iris!" Re-dub by Lucas Gilbertson and Ashley Schroeder
Acting like that is rarely seen, but when it is, man, does it ever make your day.
odinfan wrote:Aji happened to have been my first real friend here on these forums . . . He was a pain in the ***, but to be fair, he also had a quirky quality about him that I liked . . . I'll miss the guy.

Return to “Announcements”