Looking to get into the Atelier series

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
ryuujin27
Peon
Peon

Looking to get into the Atelier series

Postby ryuujin27 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:30 am

Hello all.

I'm looking to get into the Atelier series, but one question I can not find the answer to is which game do I start with? Do any of the games follow any particular order and need to be played in said order to completely get the story line? So far it seems like it is broken into a bunch of different series that all have their own sequels. If this is true, are any other games required before I play the first game for the PS3 (Rorona I believe?)? That is currently the game that looks the most interesting to me.

Also, when recommending an order to play them in, please don't leave out Japanese only games, as I will be playing them all in Japanese anyway, so language isn't an issue.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: Looking to get into the Atelier series

Postby Ar Tonelico » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:18 am

ryuujin27 wrote:Hello all.

I'm looking to get into the Atelier series, but one question I can not find the answer to is which game do I start with? Do any of the games follow any particular order and need to be played in said order to completely get the story line? So far it seems like it is broken into a bunch of different series that all have their own sequels. If this is true, are any other games required before I play the first game for the PS3 (Rorona I believe?)? That is currently the game that looks the most interesting to me.

Also, when recommending an order to play them in, please don't leave out Japanese only games, as I will be playing them all in Japanese anyway, so language isn't an issue.

Not really. They're pretty much all stand-alone titles except for some like Atelier Totori is the sequel to Atelier Rorona, Mana Khemia 2 is well the sequel to the original Mana Khemia for some examples. So for the most part you can pretty much start anywhere in the series and not be confused which is why NIS America was able to get Atelier Iris 1-3 as the very 1st ones in the series to hit America since no-one else including Atlus was interested in localizing the games themselves.

It's like different stories but all in the same universe or something like that.

ryuujin27
Peon
Peon

Postby ryuujin27 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:14 am

Ahh, great, thanks so much! I'll probably start of with Rorona and Totori then!

aquagon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby aquagon » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:18 pm

As for the Japanese-only games, Atelier Elie is a sequel to Atelier Marie, and Atelier Lilie is a prequel to both of them. And about the DS games, Atelier Annie is a sequel to Atelier Lise.

XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby XCronoX » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Atelier Iris 2 is a prequel to Atelier Iris, but the 3rd one is in a different universe since it's not the same Iris from 1 and 2. Then there's the Mana Khemia games which are like spin offs of the Atelier games.

aquagon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby aquagon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:16 pm

XCronoX wrote:Atelier Iris 2 is a prequel to Atelier Iris, but the 3rd one is in a different universe since it's not the same Iris from 1 and 2. Then there's the Mana Khemia games which are like spin offs of the Atelier games.

Though the Mana Khemia games are as much a part of the main Atelier series as any of the others (despite being titled differently).

PhantomOfTheKnight
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PhantomOfTheKnight » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:32 am

...after looking up some gameplay vids, I think I might actually be able to get into this, too.

Dhraiauvessillus
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Dhraiauvessillus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:56 am

You could get the PS2 games. Atelier Iris Eternal Mana, Atelier Iris 2 The Azoth of Destiny and Atelier Iris 3 The Dark Phantasm.

Personally I think AI1 is the best.
But they are all awesome. :)

They are connected in the multiversal sense. There is a Iris in all of them. A recording in AI1, a child in AI2 and a teenager in AI3.
AI2 is a prequal to AI1.

There are links to each other like surnames. Blanchimont is in all of them.
They are better than Atelier Rorona because there is no time limit on anything but the side quests in AI3!
You can do what you like, when you like, for as long as you like.
Gods, I wish Atelier Rorona was like that. :(

Mana Khemia series is also a Atelier Iris series. I have not played them but they look good. I am considering getting them. They are PS2 also.

The others I do not know. I have got AI1, AI2, AI3 and Atelier Rorona.
I would like to play the other Atelier games.

yerew
Vassal
Vassal

Postby yerew » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm

I'll probably start of with Rorona and Totori.
thanks very much. :lol: :D :mrgreen:
All good things eve isk to those, sto credits,that persist.

harlequ1n
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby harlequ1n » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 am

I suggest you get Rorona, I got it myselft very recently and it's a wonderful introduction to the key Atelier themes: alchemy and relationships. Besides, Totori looks 10 times better and is just around the corner, not to mention Meruru is the highest Atelier rated game ever and I'm sure will be brought to the West around this time next year. So all in all the Arland series is the way to go for Atelier newbies like us :)

Rihawf
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Rihawf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Rorona it's pretty calm, and a good preparation to the entire Arland series, if you want to continue playing 'em. As for an Atelier game, I think it's very good too.
Spoiler:

Aserrisnepnier
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aserrisnepnier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Thank god a thread for this already exists.

Anyway, Rorona? lolk

I'll look into it if I can find it at a decent price

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:10 am

Aserrisnepnier wrote:Thank god a thread for this already exists.

Anyway, Rorona? lolk

My Best Buy has Atelier Rorona for like $20. Sure it's not the nice limited edition Gamestop got as an exclusive with the better cover and nice artbook, but $20 is still a good price.

Aserrisnepnier
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aserrisnepnier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 am

Ar Tonelico wrote:

Anyway, Rorona? lolk

My Best Buy has Atelier Rorona for like $20. Sure it's not the nice limited edition Gamestop got as an exclusive with the better cover and nice artbook, but $20 is still a good price.

I'll go to a best buy when I get the chance to then

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Aserrisnepnier wrote:
Ar Tonelico wrote:

Anyway, Rorona? lolk

I'll go to a best buy when I get the chance to then

Just remember that the price is basically a discount price. So which means it's because Best Buy stores that do have it are most likely trying to get rid of it to make room for newer games. With this in mind, it becomes a YMMV type of situation of having a Best Buy still carrying it in stock.

Return to “Atelier Series”