Re: Looking to get into the Atelier series

Postby Aserrisnepnier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Best buy probably only wants mainstream games in, but gets niche ones too

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 am

I definitely recommend Rorona, but if you have a DS, I'd also recommend Atelier Annie, as I found it a bit easier to get into the Atelier games with that game (I played it a good while before Rorona came out, and I found it to be quite easy to zoom through it and get into the groove of the time management and the like).

The Mana Khemia games are good too for an introduction, as the time set-up is a bit less critical than the Arland series.

The Atelier Iris games, while of the same series and all, well, it's a whole different game with just similar features. If one starts off with those games and grows attached to it, odds are the other Atelier games are just going to throw you off and you'll either hate the others because of it, or you'll just so happen to like it as being a different style of game, but it won't help much in getting you used to the newer games...So if you hate the time management deal, you'll probably enjoy Iris more and perhaps Mana Khemia due to their slightly more laid-back time management approach.

Me personally, I enjoyed the time-management gameplay, so Annie and Rorona won me over in a heartbeat. If you really have your heart set on getting the Limited Edition Rorona set, there are still plenty on Amazon, albeit at a slightly (if bought used, though I'm sure you'll want new, in which it's not "slightly") higher price than what it was initially sold for. As for the Limited Edition set of Annie...well...that's a lot harder to find, thus more expensive, but something tells me you're going to aim more for the PS3 games...

thrembo
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby thrembo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 pm

I started with Rorona on the PS3. It wasn't a problem for me. Great game, I can't wait for Totori now!

RaidenXS
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby RaidenXS » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:34 am

If I get Totori, will I get confused without knowing the events of Rorona?

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 am

I don't think it would be really that confusing, but a lot of background info between returning characters might go a bit over your head. Then again, I don't know if they throw you in with no prep in assuming you played Rorona, or if they'll ease you in.

All in all, I say it probably would do more good to play Rorona first...

Return to “Atelier Series”