Hope totori isn't like rorona

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Hope totori isn't like rorona

Postby vampko » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:33 am

You are correct that Atelier games are supposed to be time management, and the Al Revis and Iris games were a step in a different direction.

Personally, the whole point of not telling you how to get the true ending, is that nothing like that should EVER be discussed in-game. That's putting cheats inside of the game. Which isn't fair for people who don't want that, and want to figure out how to get the true-end themselves.

The best way to play the game, is to just play it. Don't use a guide, don't expect any one ending. Just enjoy the game and make choices as you go. Then, when you get the ending, it will be 'your ending', and not something you manipulated to get.

Course, that's a very hard mindset to work with. And it REALLY doesn't help if you're a trophy hunter.

Either way, this is the way Atelier games are meant to be, and I really quite like it ~
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Well, it's not necessarily that I think the true ending should be obvious to figure out by any means, but to only be able to get the Sterk ending on the good path (not true or normal) and not on the true end path just irritated me. I'm not a trophy hunter kind of gamer. The adventurer, pie, and millionaire (the last being obvious on how to obtain) were I thought fun ideas and good for the hard core gamers, but when I was set on the true path and didn't realize until I saw the ending and looked up what the guidelines were that it kind of ticked me off in which I thought that some characters you had to under-achieve to get their endings...

The only games that would really tick me off with their ending arrangements would be Agarest Wars (you had to be smack dab into neutral, and I was a hair away from it on the bar into the good, which would rob me of all the work up I did without a guide), and even moreso X-Edge, in which I whooped someone's butt in a boss fight, where it made sense to fight them and whoop them up. I didn't kill him, and if that was the case, I'd understand, but really? How is anyone supposed to know that you weren't even supposed to keep fighting him and focus on only his partner, and that it would affect the very end of the game? Maybe I'm just dense with that situation, but after finding out the long way, I just got ticked and gave up right before the final dungeon.

Ok, /side rant.

But yeah, overall, the only deal about Rorona that got to me was that there were like over 30 endings (only 14 official trophy ones, while the rest were sectioned off into variants of normal, good, and true endings). That was just ridiculous. If it wasn't such a quick playthrough, I wouldn't have kept replaying for the Sterk ending (I had to play it three times because of the game's odd arrangement of guidelines...the first time I played I didn't use a guide, the second I was told to get the normal path and a certain set of stars, did it, then found out the star # isn't really right or wrong, then the third I got lucky).

I'm lead to believe though by those that have played the imported Totori though that the ending # isn't that crazy, but I could be wrong...My views have always been that if you max out a character's affection/friendship, you'll get their ending for the most part as long as you complete their side quests. For Rorona it wasn't the case completely...

thrembo
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby thrembo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:07 am

I got the platinum for Trinity Universe, and thoroughly enjoyed it! But for Rorona, I thought that there were to many endings, and it would be to tedious to try and get them all. Don't get me wrong, I loved Rorona, it was my 1st game from the series, and I enjoyed it. Also, I'm not a "trophy hound", the only other platinun that I have is Sacred 2.

I'm looking forward to Totori and hope they improve upon the Rorona formula. Totori looks like it is going to be awesome!

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm never a trophy hound. I've yet to have gotten a single platinum trophy because I play games to enjoy them, not to be a completionist. That and I just simply don't have the time to do it. So I don't ever grade or judge games by how hard it is to get all the trophies/achievements.

Trinity Universe...well, while I kind of enjoyed what bit I did play of it, well, I don't know, I guess I just didn't love it that much. But yeah, Rorona did have a crap load of endings, but I never felt for once that I had to get them all. Granted, once you play through a game once, you can zoom through (but not skip unfortunately) event scenes and it cuts down the time to play to get other endings drastically. At least they gave it that option...

Lagzlot
Peon
Peon

Postby Lagzlot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 am

I finally upgraded from ye old tube tv a couple of weeks ago, but I still hope that NISA at least make the font a bit more readable than it was in Rorona. It wasn't just the size; something about how "thin" it was, the color combination, and the font itself made the game unplayable for me. This is regarding the menus and encyclopedia. The cutscenes were just fine.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:47 am

Lagzlot wrote:I finally upgraded from ye old tube tv a couple of weeks ago, but I still hope that NISA at least make the font a bit more readable than it was in Rorona. It wasn't just the size; something about how "thin" it was, the color combination, and the font itself made the game unplayable for me. This is regarding the menus and encyclopedia. The cutscenes were just fine.

If you have an HDTV it should be fine. If not...then, yeah...
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Return to “Atelier Series”