Using guides to playgames.

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
DigiOtaku
New Vassal
New Vassal

Using guides to playgames.

Postby DigiOtaku » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 am

I was wondering if most people play these games and other JRPG's strictly following guides to get the ending you want?

I usually play the 1st playthrough on my on. And the 2nd playthrough I'll use a guide to get whichever ending I didn't see the 1st time.

Though some games (Xedge) I was 100% lost without a guide. And I hate that. I wanna be able to get the true endings by playing how I want. It takes away from a game when you have to follow step by step guides to get an ending that makes sense.

But I was just wondering what others do.

Waiting for: DW: Gundam 3, Bleach: SR, Catherine, Disgaea 4, & Atelier Totori

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Re: Using guides to playgames.

Postby Mlada » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:16 pm

I pretty much do the same as you unless something really makes me stuck at some point. I like going my own path and getting my own ending, as usually it's common sense how to achieve a certain ending while still doing your own thing.

Like you said though, I had so many problems with X-Edge, and if it weren't for guides, I never would have found out that my gut instinct has nothing to do with achieving the true ending as the requirements were a lot of left-field nit-picky conditions.

Then again, I'm one of those gamers that doesn't have time to replay a game over and over again for a specific ending, so if I know the game is going to be EXTREMELY long and has multiple endings, then odds are I might refer to a guide from time to time to make sure I'm following the right path to a satisfactory ending. I'm married with a 40+ hour/week job, and as much as I love games, I have other interests too and playing the same RPG over and over again is very off-putting for me when I already have a buttload of untouched games I need to get to...most of which are long RPG's...

Player5
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Player5 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:39 pm

I used a guide to play Atelier Annie and now I feel like I have spoiled the Atelier games system for the rest of my life. :(

Rihawf
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Rihawf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:37 pm

I think there's not a problem with that. It's like having an agenda to have with you along your day, but in this case, a ''friend'' prepared your agenda.
Spoiler:

thrembo
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby thrembo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:40 pm

I always do the 1st go through on a game without a guide/walkthrough. Its more fun not knowing whats coming, and trying to figure it out for yourself!

vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vertical09 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 am

well i played persona 3&4 without a walkthrough.
i didnt even use a guide to get all the endings (got bad ending first...becasue i mean it seemed good guess not >.>)
but thats me perferably just look at a guide telling you the basics on getting the endings so it wont spoil a major selling point (i screwd myself over like that. it can be a bitch)

PringlesXD
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby PringlesXD » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:40 pm

I play Rorona using a guide. That way, I can watch all events.

Crash15
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Crash15 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:25 pm

I played Rorona once and didn't complete it and again starting over to get one ending and I didn't use a guide. I just remembered what I needed from my very first play through cause I was stuck in assignment 11 so I decided to start all over and now I am playing it for all endings in one but, I seem to get the hang of it but, It has to be timid for requests and knowing what characters flags you have done.

Return to “Atelier Series”