just finished totori

Official forums for games from the Atelier series

Re: just finished totori

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:55 am

It's called storytelling, Mlada. I miss it, too.
"He had warned them it clogged reason; they had reasoned they had no reason."
STEAM | "An argument in favor of double yandere love."
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Well Arcana Heart and Otomedius have the same ending no matter what you do x.x I think..
Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:51 am

I guess it really depends on what gaming generation one started in. Don't get me wrong, I like games with multiple endings, but I don't like EVERY game I play to do it. Every once in a while I just want to play a game that gives you a generic ending instead of possibly making the player go around in circles to get the best ending. Some games do this well, and others push my buttons. With the Atelier games, I actually prefer multiple endings...

LOL @ Saturnine...Which is probably the reason why a lot more games have been pissing me off lately. I play games to watch an interactive story to emerse myself into it. That, and I got spoiled by early gems where games relied on story-telling since graphics weren't a major issue...That's why I get furious when I find out someone bashed a particular game because of graphics alone. It's like, "Why? Are they so chock-full of ADHD that if it doesn't look real or pretty that there's no tolerating it despite how original, fun, or wonderfully told the story is?"

FF6 had one ending, and even then, some may argue that the ending was too simple, but I'll be damned if I hear someone bash it for graphics alone without grading it for it's golden qualities in story, characters, and music...because I won't keep quiet...LOL...

I'm starting to wonder about the current generation (generally speaking of course) with their lack of imagination if graphics is going to stunt their ability to actually enjoy a game. I remember a time when graphics were a luxury and not a requirement. *shakes cane at the young'uns and prepares the story about walking five miles in the snow to go to school*
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby vampko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:10 am

I've been gaming since the Atari days >.>

It's not always the 'generation' that this matters about. And having a really strong imagination is what makes these 'games with no story' all the more interesting, because I make the story more than it is. And if no one were to tell me differently, I'd just think that was the original story, and wouldn't know that I was using my imagination to turn something simple into something epic :lol:
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Obake » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:45 am

I pretty much agree with everything Mlada said.

Playing through a 20 hour story several times for a few different endings is not a substitute for a 50+ hour epic tale. It can be a good alternative - case in point Atelier, which is charming and I love to death. But I do so miss my old-school Final Fantasy's and Breath of Fires.
Obake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:31 am

Not unleashing untrammeled hatred on Atelier or any similar games. I only meant to point out that, despite their allure, the stories involved are typically the most glaring nadir. I play Atelier games for the synthesis and characters. As a broader statement: yes, I do miss powerfully woven tales. They aren't absent, though. Just buried.

I've been playing games since floppy discs were floppy. My first eroge was one such title my uncle owned. That doesn't make me value compelling narrative any more than the Final- wait, uh, Persona fan. Neither does it make me more hardened against horrible graphics than they are. It might help, but it's hardly a defined chasm between generations.
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:19 am

That's actually comforting to hear that it's not a generation thing though. Graphics at least seem to be a bit, as anyone I know that started off with the older gamer generations usually won't rate that the most important factor to a game review. Granted, I love great graphics. I consider it a real treat, but I also don't expect every game to use top-notch graphic engines or anything like that.

As for story, I would love to use imagination for those as well when character pasts weren't always as clear as they could have been, but if there's no major groundwork to truly structure the potential plot points, then...it's a bit of a bummer, but not a disaster with games. I also loved using imagination for what characters sounded like, what might have happened after the ending credits, and some other minor things, which isn't left much to the imagination so much anymore (at least as far as graphics-wise, voice-wise, and the higher demand to have a much more defined ending it seems...which isn't entirely a bad thing once again either).

For me, Atelier was my break away from the "epic must-save-the-world" genres, which is most RPG's reasonably enough. I found it quite refreshing and all, so I guess that's my main reason for loving it so much. With the endings concept, what I was fond of were games that had an ending, and then a bonus ending depending on completion values. To me, that felt more motivating than playing a game over numerous times (or potentially if it's not possible to get all endings in one playthrough and a special save file) to get that special bonus of an ending. Trophies for the most part mean crap to me, but because other gamers obsess over it and I want to prove that I love a particular game, I'll force myself to get more trophies...which is really stupid on my part...LOL

Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 6, and Xenogears were probably the most satisfying games I've ever played, and while some (or all) of them had some cheesy qualities to them and maybe not the most stunning of qualities in today's standards, they had the most impacting effect on me. Now, I'm not saying all games since then were crap or anything, because like Saturnine said, "They aren't absent, though. Just buried." There have been tons of games since then that I've enjoyed a great deal, or else I probably wouldn't still be playing games. But when I do find a game that clearly focuses on better stories and entertainment value (gameplay wise), it's quite refreshing...

Unfortunately, I just can't trust the FF series anymore...LOL...
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby vampko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:28 am

Understandable. And I think I enjoy GUST/Atelier games mostly because of the characters and their interactions.

Graphics, like yourself, are usually a nice treat. Sometimes though, bad graphics can really bring a game down. And yeah, those who have been gaming for the long haul, generally will be able to look past 'bad' graphics moreso than those who are newer to gaming.

I see the appeal in very story-oriented games, and I see the appeal in multiple ends, and I definitely see the appeal in getting to make your own endings. Though, if you think about it, that's an example of a weak story :lol:

I really want to play Meruru xD

Stupid NISA wanting to spread the localizations apart so much...>_<

I mean, I understand where they're coming from, but it doesn't make the wait any easier...
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Well with all the fans wanting "HD REMAKES!" I prefer anime-style characters over the realistic 3D ones. :? I still have to finish Rorona and Totori...
Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Mlada » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:26 pm

I know...I really want to play Meruru too...

But yeah, I don't really understand the big HD remake craze. I mean, I kind of do, but I'd rather have a new game than an old one getting a HD remake...Then again, I know that there are a lot of people that might not had the opportunity to play it the first time around and a remake would increase their chances of finally playing it, while making it HD just makes it cleaner.

It's still not that big of a deal for me though...But I can understand bad graphics bringing down a game too. Especially when you know the gaming company has used a better engine before but purposely opted to reuse maps and/or lower the quality for money reasons (as in the kind of money reasons being so they can make more money since the game is going to sell incredibly well regardless). The first example that comes to mind is Dragon Age II...now, the graphics looked fine to me, but the fact that they reused so many area maps for dungeons and didn't even try to make these places look really unique was a bummer when you can tell they took more time and effort for the first game.
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby vampko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm not all that big on HD remakes. It just seems so silly and pointless to me. But, there are people who want it sadly.

The worst thing? If people hadn't of embraced this, we likely would have gotten full PS2 backwards compatibility back in our PS3s. Which would trump HD remakes ANY Day :cry:
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby shymel94 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:38 pm

vampko wrote:I'm not all that big on HD remakes. It just seems so silly and pointless to me. But, there are people who want it sadly.
The worst thing? If people hadn't of embraced this, we likely would have gotten full PS2 backwards compatibility back in our PS3s. Which would trump HD remakes ANY Day :cry:

Wasn't the PS2 compatibility done with a chip that Sony took out to make the PS3 cheaper?
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel
shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby SaturnineTenshi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:43 pm

And Jesus died for your sins.
SaturnineTenshi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:39 pm

shymel94 wrote:
vampko wrote:I'm not all that big on HD remakes. It just seems so silly and pointless to me. But, there are people who want it sadly.

Wasn't the PS2 compatibility done with a chip that Sony took out to make the PS3 cheaper?

That was when they basically had the ps2 inside of the PS3. The model afterwards used an emulator, which really doesn't cost extra to implement, since it's an emulator. Sony just wanted a way that they could still make money off suckers who buy into this sort of stuff. I bought ONE HD remaster, and I just ended up not playing it. I really should, but I just don't. I used to use my old Ps3 for PS2 games a bunch, and also PS3 games as well. But, buying games I already own again, just isn't working for me. Though, I didn't own the one HD remaster game I bought.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Mlada » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 pm

I never (until about a few months ago) knew that the original PS3 was backwards compatible so I felt no need at the time to fork up $600 for a console that at the time had no games that interested me. When the price finally came down, that's when the next series came out while more games were finally announced and/or came out by then. If I had known that the first gen PS3 was backwards compatible, I might would have caved in or still buy a first gen instead of the newer model.

At least I'm glad my PS2's are still holding up well though, but that would have been a hell of a lot more convenient for the PS3 to play all games...
Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Next

Return to Atelier Series