Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
Taiga
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

Postby Taiga » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Hundred Legs wrote:I know why the series was called Final Fantasy. It's also called that in Japan, where Ar tonelico Qoga is English-only. There is a huge difference.

I've seen instances like these where the English localization decides to be clever and change the title. And in these instances it usually ends up causing more trouble. I'm just saying that I don't think NISA should try to fix something that isn't broken.

And I fail to see where the big problem is. The Japanese title is "The Girl's Song that Pulls the Trigger of World's Demise", we get "Demise: The Knell of Ar Ciel". The titles aren't all that far off, and just by the Japanese titles alone, we can see the End/Demise can be interpreted as more than just "Ar tonelico: This is the last one on the series".

Hundred Legs
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Hundred Legs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:30 am

Some others and myself have already pointed out what we feel to be problems in this topic. It breaks the naming scheme of the first two titles, it is difficult to pronounce (even if you know what it means), and it there's a chance that it won't really help appeal to non-fans simply because the title consists of foreign words, even though NISA claims it will. If it was like the previous two games, then the only thing that would be foreign would be "Ar tonelico" and "Ar Ciel", and given their placement in the title, one could come to a conclusion that those words would be explained in the game (as I did when I first purchased AT2). But for Qoga, that's some obscure word that only the most hardcore fan would ever figure out on his/her own. And I didn't even know of the word "knell" before this game was announced, although I don't really mind the subtitle that much.

And once again, that logo is bad. I'd just rather them just keep the "III" to leave it intact.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:14 am

I have a feeling that logo was made just so they have one with the title right now. They will probably get rid of that white space.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

robeduriv
Majin
Majin

Postby robeduriv » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 am

Hi again, thanks for the replies. As long as small changes are done such as the age of characters like magusgs mentioned NISA has done with Rorona, I'm fine with that. It's just that based on what I've read, seen a bit, and heard from others on AT3, it is quite a leap in detail from AT2 which is awesome and one of the main reasons I think why some were doubting it would be localized. I sort of see this leap in detail similar to that of the PS1 Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 to the PS2 SMT: Persona 3 which got rated up from T to M to avoid any problems I think. I want to make sure that the reason for the one year wait on AT3 is in the attempt of NISA doing their best on properly translating most of the text and dialogue rather than heavily editing or even worse removing some game content in order for it to be able to meet the ESRB's standard for a T rating. May anyone suggest me a NISA employee who I may e-mail the question if they would carry on these sort of changes to the game if they run into a problem with the ESRB or some other company. NISA had an issue with the game title "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This?" so I'm getting a feeling that they might run into one concerning AT3's visual content and I don't want them to run into any more possible trouble that may not only affect NISA but maybe even us fans.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 am

NISA had an issue with the game title "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This?" so I'm getting a feeling that they might run into one concerning AT3's visual content and I don't want them to run into any more possible trouble that may not only affect NISA but maybe even us fans.

They had to change Badman's name due to copyright/trademark issues, if you didn't know. I think At 3 can get a T rating without editing due to another game, which I posted earlier in this thread and Ar tonelico also brought up more points.

Ash
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:49 am

Taiga wrote:And I fail to see where the big problem is. The Japanese title is "The Girl's Song that Pulls the Trigger of World's Demise", we get "Demise: The Knell of Ar Ciel". The titles aren't all that far off, and just by the Japanese titles alone, we can see the End/Demise can be interpreted as more than just "Ar tonelico: This is the last one on the series".

(ノ◕ ヮ◕)ノ ... I'll, er, let you hang on to that one. Bad taste to spoil.

EDIT: While we're on the topic of localization and continuity issues, I wonder what they're going to do about misinterpreted names. Harvestasya and Tilia were interpreted to be different in AT2's localization: Halvastasha and Tyria. It's not the spellings that bother me too much (although you lose the "harvester" implication with the EN spelling), but the Japanese spellings were used in the opening movie of AT3 and everything. :|a If they decide to use the old names, they're going to have to edit out the JP names, huh.

Preferably, I'd like for them to just use the JP names, but that's probably just my bias showing. Hated almost everything about the AT2 localization.
&Twitter: veregna

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:08 am

I think someone at the press event said they would use the original names. Here's it is:

Name changes were a touchy topic. Sato admits that for the localization of Ar tonelico II, the staff did not understand the Hymmnos language very well. For the localization of the third game, he has taken the time to personally learn the Hymmnos language. In this case, some words and names that were changed in the previous games have been reverted backed to the original in order to keep their meaning.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:17 am

Sounds like they're putting more effort into the localization this time around.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

robeduriv
Majin
Majin

Postby robeduriv » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:12 am

Yeah, I referenced the Badman title issue to prove that even small companies such as NISA are targeted by bigger ones just to either get money or publicity. I just want for us to be able to enjoy the same share of the pie the JP audience got out of the supposed finale of this trilogy. In order to prevent most past localization mistakes and future complaints we have suggest to NISA as early as possible what we are looking forward to in the final copy of AT3. They can't carry this out on their own and I am sure they do look towards consumer feedback for solutions. My primary suggestion is to rate AT3 an M to completely avoid any content change and besides I really think most of us who have been following this series are the least 15 years old by now since I can't imagine anyone under 10 to fully understand the first title released back in JAN 07. Of course, I can't carry this out without the support of others. However, if the majority doesn't mind the game art being altered such as character features and wardrobes( which is possible and has even been ironically done even in some translated H-games due to "society") or the character models being westernized by putting the males on steroids and females with breast implants to make them appear older, so be it. For those who are in support on making sure we get the best out of the AT3 localization, the first step I suggest is to come up with a list of clear and straightforward questions to pass on to NISA. Depending on their responses, the next step will then be to offer NISA our input and ideas. In the end, I believe this process will help the work of AT3 get the credit it deserves and we will get the most value of the money and time we put into this form of entertainment we appreciate.

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 am

NISA won't rate the game. The ESRB will decide on the content in the game what to rate it. Many people here are saying that the current content without editing it won't give it an M rating because of past ways the the ESRB has rated games. I understand your plee for an unedited game though. I too wish that they wouldn't do that.
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

Taiga
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Taiga » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:30 am

Ash wrote:(ノ◕ ヮ◕)ノ ... I'll, er, let you hang on to that one. Bad taste to spoil.

Oh, I know I'm probably wrong with my assumptions and the small bits of spoilers I have. It will make for an awesome drinking game at this point. :?

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:33 am

robeduriv wrote:My primary suggestion is to rate AT3 an M to completely avoid any content change and besides I really think most of us who have been following this series are the least 15 years old by now since I can't imagine anyone under 10 to fully understand the first title released back in JAN 07.

I don't see the relationship between being 15 years of age and the Mature rating. The age to buy M rated games is 17. I believe the game can get a Teen rating without editing.

Here is an interview with a localization manager for the game who might ease worry you have.

Ash
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 am

I could see people getting grilled for the sexual content in this game, though. And not only does AT3 objectify women, it gives them stereotyped personalities of what women "ought" to be. With the possible exception of Cocona, there are absolutely no strong women in AT3.

It's not just the visual content that might warrant an M rating, but thematically, I think AT3 really needs it. To make girls happy, you give them gifts. And when you give them gifts they like, they'll be more inclined to strip for you! I don't really want to see a 15-year-old kid play this game, then grow up expecting chicks to be like that.

Besides, there used to be a standard in which people assumed that any game with an M-rating would hurt sales pretty badly, but reflecting on Atlus' Megaten series, I'm not so sure; maybe Ar tonelico could get an M rating and it wouldn't be too bad?

--of course, at this point, I'm willing to argue that the AT series is a secret project aimed at getting more people in Japan to procreate anyway. ლ(≖◡≖ლ) The things a failing birth rate will do to a country!

ANYWAY

that interview article wrote:As for quality assurance, Sato realizes that the game may not be perfect and some problems or mistake could potentially appear. In this case, since the game is being released for the PlayStation 3, NIS America will be able to release downloadable patches to fix the game.

Read: "IT'S OKAY GUYS, SLACK OFF IF YOU WANT, WE CAN ALWAYS FIX IT IN POST-PRODUCTION!!" :? man those patches sure are convenient
&Twitter: veregna

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 pm

If for some reason the rating even becomes a problem, they could just make the limited edition uncut (and rated M), and not worry about taking flak from anyone.

Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Solice » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:03 pm

betaflame wrote:If for some reason the rating even becomes a problem, they could just make the limited edition uncut (and rated M), and not worry about taking flak from anyone.

Then they would have to re-edit and maintain two separate codebases for one game. This isn't logistically sound. If they had a budget that could do that, we would be seeing much more dubbing in the games they have already produced.

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”