What should I expect from Ar Tonelico II?

The official Ar tonelico™ 2: Melody of Metafalica forum
Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

What should I expect from Ar Tonelico II?

Postby Venus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:48 am

I just got finished playing Ar tonelico I and I beat Ar Tonelico III a few days before that and I was wondering if someone could please give me a heads up as to what I should expect from Ar Tonelico II as far it's notorious "glitches" go. Is it still playable? Is it still a good worth while game?
PSN: Rena-chan43
XBOX Live: Renachan43

nukedEggs
Vassal
Vassal

Re: What should I expect from Ar Tonelico II?

Postby nukedEggs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Sup, it's been a while since I last played but I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. Ar Tonelico 2's battle system is pretty different from Ar Tonelico 1's, as in, completely different. Haven't played AT3 so I can't comment on how the battle system in AT2 compares but it's not really select attacks from a menu like AT1 was, more like a faux-real time battle system as you command a reyvateil in the background.

Didn't notice any 'glitches' during AT2 in my gameplay, but then again I never really deviated from whatever the game expected me to do. It is playable and a pretty good, worthwhile game. I mean, if you got through AT1 fine after AT3, I'm sure you can play through AT2 since in some respects AT1 is a clunkier game.

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:42 am

There are several glitches to expect, which range from a certain line of text being untranslated japanese, item description going out of bounds, and the game crashing during a fight with an optional boss on her third turn when she uses a special move, as well as a crashing at a certain scene when you wait too long for the applause to stop.
NISA also removed half the japanese voice samples and added an equal amount of english ones.

That said, Ar tonelico 2 is probably the best game in the series, and all mentioned above does not in any way make the game unplayable.
The battle system is different from 1 in how you have 2 possible reyvateils singing at once in the back, and 2 possible vanguards in front of them to protect them while they do. On enemy turns, you have to time button presses to properly guard the reyvateils from attacks, and on your turn, you have like a timer in which you can stuff as many attacks as you can, by pressing up, forward or down + attack button ( one button for each vanguard ), pressing back and attack button will heal some of the reyvateil's hp.

Oh, btw, that optional boss that crashes the game on its third turn? You can definitely still beat her, like 12-15 times to unlock bonus art and stuff. You just need a slightly better setup to do so, but definitely doable.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Venus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:16 am

I've heard a lot of people say it was the best one in the series. Well I should be able to start it soon I just wanted to know what to expect. It's really a shame though that there are so many glitches and stuff. :S Thanks for the info. ^_^
PSN: Rena-chan43
XBOX Live: Renachan43

Return to “Ar Tonelico 2”