Please help me choose a Reyvateil! *Spoilers*

The official Ar tonelico™ 2: Melody of Metafalica forum
Lumina
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Please help me choose a Reyvateil! *Spoilers*

Postby Lumina » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 am

Greetings!

So I really need some help here. I'm in Phase 1 at Pastalia (just after the Cocona incident) and I'm nearing the point where I have to choose who gets a particular talk topic related to Cynthia. I'd really like to get it on the Reyvateil whose path I intend on choosing, but given how far I am I'm finding it hard to make an educated decision about what I will do when the time comes.

Here are my current feelings towards these two Reyvateils, if anyone could share any thoughts about my summaries and/or my current concerns about each that would be great!

========
LUCA:
========

I'll start off by saying that within the first few hours of gameplay I was immediately more drawn to Luca. I really like her cutesy look, her bashful attitude towards Croix is very cute, and I love her battle sprite and quotes much more than Cloche.

Through a few talk topics and her first 2 cosmosphere levels I started to feel like something was up with her, mainly around the fact that she doesn't want their relationship to go any farther, and mentions in the cosmosphere that she would absolutely reject Croix if he were to make advances toward her.

So not wanting to waste hours of gameplay on her path to find I didn't like her after all, I decided to read ahead. Turns out that the red flags going up for me were warranted and she has a blowout with Croix at a prison explaining that she was just using him, which was a bit of a shock to me just with how it was handled and the words she chose (so brutal!), but not a complete surprise given my suspicions.

From what I gather around that time in the game she's having a bit of a mental breakdown thanks to the things she is dealing with, which I have no idea about given how far I am in the game so far. However, I don't know if even knowing what those things are that I'd be able to swallow such a mental beating that she throws his way.

I hear that if you choose her path that Croix for whatever reason decides to almost immediately forgive her and they start off fresh (which I have a bit of an issue with, I certainly wouldn't forgive someone for something like that so quickly), but I guess I'm most concerned that their relationship never really recovers to the point that they were at before the prison, let alone surpassing it as the game goes on.

I really want to make it work with Luca because I really like her for the most part, but not knowing how well and how far Croix and Luca work past this, I'm really hesitant to go forward with her.

========
CLOCHE:
========

For the first few hours of the game I really didn't like Cloche. I do think she has the classic beauty look going for her, but early on everything else kind of drowned her beauty out. However, after completing her first few cosmosphere levels she does seem to be softening up a little bit and both her casual conversation style and her private talk topics with Croix seem to be becoming a bit friendlier. I'm hoping that's the real Cloche showing through.

I will say that now that I've had the chance to see this other side of her that she is growing on me a little.

I really haven't read ahead with Cloche like I have with Luca, so I don't have as much to say here, but what I'm worried about with Cloche is that despite whatever development there is on her path with Croix, that they'll never really reach that loving relationship state, and she will always "pull rank" on him when she gets into a situation she feels unsure in or uncomfortable with.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Please help me choose a Reyvateil! *Spoilers*

Postby Rednal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:06 am

Pick the 3rd Reyvateil when you have the choice.

Otherwise, I'd do Luca for now. ^^b It's fine, it's fine. Just trust in your ability to overcome.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 am

Well, I ended up going the Luca path, but I can say that their fake relationship from before (it didn't feel very real to me. So, the reveal, wasn't a huge shocker) turns into a much more endearing and true relationship later on. Also, while Croix gives that remark early on, I think that, one, it was part of the bad localization, two, that doesn't fix anything. The real wounds from it seem to heal more slowly. That initial response was kind of strange, but it isn't until much further in the story that it really feels like Croix and Luca have come to terms with it.

Cloche, is amazing. I thought I would not like her at first as well. But, as the game went on, I really liked her. I still liked Luca better, but for the first, and only time in an AT game, I liked the other Reyvateil quite a bit. I don't care for Aurica, and Saki really gets on my nerves. But, Cloche, I quite like ~

Also, there's always the third reyvateil which many will say is the most romantic/best ending in the game. I personally thought Luca's was better, but everyone has their opinions on things.

Luca's Cosmosphere is VERY interesting, and I really liked her Infelsphere as well. I'd say, go with Luca, then go for Cloche in your second playthrough. You have to try out both paths to get all the talk topics regardless.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:42 pm

As long as we are going no spoilers barred. First off. Go with the third reyvateil. Ok, now that we've got that out of our system...

I at first though I'd like Luca over Cloche, so I went with her route. However, I found Luca to be a huge bitch near the end of the game. Not even talking about the "twist" where she tells you she was just using Croix, there's another part in the game where Cloche and Luca are in this special type of cosmosphere together and have to come to understand each other ( it's not actually a cosmosphere, but I guess I'll at least not spoil that ).
And depending on who you choose as your route, the point of view of that special cosmosphere changes to that person. On Luca's route... to me, that special cosmosphere just made NO sense. Luca was just being a complete bitch the entire time, not compromising, just being plain mean to Cloche who was basically trying her best to get along at that point.
When you're on Cloche's route, from Cloche's point of view it made a lot more sense to me in which what Luca had to do to come to understand Cloche ( mind, I may have been kinda vague, but by point of view I mean basically one of them is the overseer and the other one is the one trying to reconcile ).

I really came to dislike Luca by the end of the game.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:59 pm

I didn't get the feelings Celtic got at all (I liked Luca more as I got further, and she is my favorite character in AT 2), but since you have that avatar, you should just go for the third reyvateil.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:20 pm

vampko wrote:I didn't get the feelings Celtic got at all (I liked Luca more as I got further, and she is my favorite character in AT 2), but since you have that avatar, you should just go for the third reyvateil.

You already told him what you thought about it. Pray tell what reason you could have to then comment on my opinion about it saying that you didn't feel the same way I did :\ Also, scratch that question, I don't want a response
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Lumina
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Lumina » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

This avatar is just because I think Jacqli looks cool, I really don't have any opinions of her yet. I've got a thing for fair skinned girls with dark hair. :lol:

It sure seems like everywhere I look Luca is thought of as somewhat of an aquired taste, you either love her or you hate her.

Does Jacqli come into things earlier than Shurelia did in the first game? One issue I had with Shurelia was that she came in far too late. Well that coupled with the fact that she had no real cosmosphere, so I couldn't really get to know her feelings and desires as well as I could Misha. I was afraid of that happening with Jacqli as well as it seems she doesn't have a true cosmosphere either from what I've seen.

Gah, this is tough. AT1 it was a no brainer, I was team Misha right from the start.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Lumina wrote:Thanks for all of the replies so far!

This avatar is just because I think Jacqli looks cool, I really don't have any opinions of her yet. I've got a thing for fair skinned girls with dark hair. :lol:

It sure seems like everywhere I look Luca is thought of as somewhat of an aquired taste, you either love her or you hate her.

Does Jacqli come into things earlier than Shurelia did in the first game? One issue I had with Shurelia was that she came in far too late. Well that coupled with the fact that she had no real cosmosphere, so I couldn't really get to know her feelings and desires as well as I could Misha. I was afraid of that happening with Jacqli as well as it seems she doesn't have a true cosmosphere either from what I've seen.

Gah, this is tough. AT1 it was a no brainer, I was team Misha right from the start.

Yes, she comes in MUCH earlier. I had that problem with Shurelia as well. You get plenty of time to warm up to Jaqli.

@Celtic
Sorry, I get this urge to defend characters I like. I'll try to tone it down in the future.
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm

If you go through to Jacqli's end, avoid the roadblocks (which ARE there), and do all of that stuff... I think you'll enjoy it. ^^
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Lumina wrote:Thanks for all of the replies so far!

Jacqli isn't an Origin reyvateil, she DOES actually have an actual cosmosphere, however the first few levels are similar to Shurelia's Binary field story, but later on you get an actual cosmosphere. Just make sure to not go past level 5 in the cosmosphere of the girl whose path you chose if you plan to get Jacqli. I was sold on her the moment I found out she was an option, actually.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Lumina wrote:Does Jacqli come into things earlier than Shurelia did in the first game? One issue I had with Shurelia was that she came in far too late. Well that coupled with the fact that she had no real cosmosphere, so I couldn't really get to know her feelings and desires as well as I could Misha. I was afraid of that happening with Jacqli as well as it seems she doesn't have a true cosmosphere either from what I've seen.

Don't worry, Jacqli joins the party near the end of Phase 2 (there's 5 Phases in this game). And she has a Cosmosphere like Luca and Cloche. But the first half of her CS plays similarly to Shurelia's. You have to devote yourself to her in Level 5 (locking you into her ending) in order to see the real thing. If you decide to go for Jacqli it is highly recommended you finish her CS, it will make her ending better.

Lumina
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Lumina » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks everybody for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

I did some looking into Cloche last night and it looks like she softens up A LOT to Croix, to the extent of seeming a little deredere in her later cosmosphere levels, which sounds really cute. I'm not sure how well that translates outside of the cosmosphere. If anybody knows if her battle quotes or dialogue outside of the cosmosphere change much (i.e. softens, even if only towards Croix) I'd really be interested to know.

I'll have to look a bit more into Jacqli as well. From what I've found looking up info on her she does warm up to Croix, but I'm still not overly fond of having only 4 cosmosphere levels to get to know the real her in since the first 5 are all "story time". I'm also not sure how I feel about how reserved she is toward showing affection toward Croix, even refusing to hug him at the Ceremony.

I think what I may do is make a save at the point you choose who to go with for phase 2 and play through phase 2 with each reyvateil since I'll be doing that eventually anyway, and then continue into phase 3 with whoever I'm enjoying more at the time, and then make another save just after getting Jaqli before proceeding with whoever I went with earlier. That way I can circle back around to the two later.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Lumina wrote:Thanks everybody for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

I did some looking into Cloche last night and it looks like she softens up A LOT to Croix, to the extent of seeming a little deredere in her later cosmosphere levels, which sounds really cute. I'm not sure how well that translates outside of the cosmosphere. If anybody knows if her battle quotes or dialogue outside of the cosmosphere change much (i.e. softens, even if only towards Croix) I'd really be interested to know.

I'll have to look a bit more into Jacqli as well. From what I've found looking up info on her she does warm up to Croix, but I'm still not overly fond of having only 4 cosmosphere levels to get to know the real her in since the first 5 are all "story time". I'm also not sure how I feel about how reserved she is toward showing affection toward Croix, even refusing to hug him at the Ceremony.

I think what I may do is make a save at the point you choose who to go with for phase 2 and play through phase 2 with each reyvateil since I'll be doing that eventually anyway, and then continue into phase 3 with whoever I'm enjoying more at the time, and then make another save just after getting Jaqli before proceeding with whoever I went with earlier. That way I can circle back around to the two later.

That's probably a good idea.

For what it's worth, I think Jaqli's true self does sneak through during the 'fake' cosmosphere levels. I never went past level 4, but after hearing about the rest of it from others, there are little hints here and there about her true self throughout the first 5 levels. You just have to keep a keen eye open for the clues and flags.
Spoiler:

Hundred Legs
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Hundred Legs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Although the first 5 levels of Jacqli's Cosmosphere is like Shurelia's Binary Field, they have a lot of connections to Jacqli's past and character. Especially if you've played the first game.

Lumina
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Lumina » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:52 am

So I'm currently part way through Phase 3 on Cloche's path, and holy crap does she ever change.

To answer my earlier question in case anyone is ever looking at this topic and wondering: yes her battle quotes and general speech do change to a much softer tone with Croix in Phase 2 and into Phase 3. Her new battle quotes... wow, a total 360 attitude wise from the previous set.

(Am I the only one who thinks it sounds like she's really really horny for Croix in battle after the change?)

I thought the previously unmentioned background between Cloche and Croix that was brought up in the infelsphere was a nice little touch, and slightly evened the playing field between her and Luca as far as history with Criox.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of her Cosmosphere... I'm turning into a Cloche fanboy! :oops:

Once I finish up this playthrough I'll loop back around to previous save files to complete Jacqli and Luca!

Return to “Ar Tonelico 2”