Higurashi: When They Cry Best

Forum for making game localization requests via posts/polls/whatever.
TeganGibby
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Higurashi: When They Cry Best

Postby TeganGibby » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Actually, the existing translation for Higurashi (not the Steam version, the original) is full of typos and tons of other issues. There's definitely a good reason for a retranslation. I'm most of the way through the first Higurashi (not Kai) and while it's undoubtedly the best English-language version of the novel, it feels much more like a fan-translation than a professional work. I assume that's why they're retranslating it.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Then you're only paying an editor.

I've read it. It's not terrible. I don't recall that many typos or grammatical errors. It was pretty stiff, though. Didn't flow right. They translated it as literally as possible and the jump from one sentence to the next was a little awkward sometimes. That was about all I remember having a problem with. Also, they didn't really include any translation notes for those unfamiliar with certain Japanese words and honorifics.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Oniros
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Oniros » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:58 pm

+1 for this. After the success of Danganronpa, Sekai Project's kickstarters, and Steins;Gate coming to the west(!) the time is right for this to happen. Besides, the Vita version has a cool boxart, how can that not catch your eye?

ani12
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby ani12 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:56 am

I'd buy it if it was ever localized.

Diag
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Diag » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:15 am

yea that boxart looks really nice :/ and the game itself, too.. more like a vn than the original ^^

i really do hope that steins;Gate will have good sales, so that more companies are maybe interessted into vn´s (i love PQube for their guts and preordered the vita LE.. that really deserves support, so maybe i´ll get the ps3 version also later ^^ i saw quite a few people who normally don´t read vn´s but ordered s;g too maybe just because it´s a vn for the vita and prefer it over pc, but don´t know ^^)

maybe sekai will bring us grisaia for the vita, but i´m not so sure about that :/

but i´d say higurashi (and cross channel) are two of my most wanted vn´s at the moment

ani12
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby ani12 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:32 pm

Two unique openings from the game(Spoilers in both)

Side Effect by Kanako Itou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVLKN7Q8iA0

Ascension by Ayame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPubgKhQYWw

Oniros
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Oniros » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Diag wrote:yea that boxart looks really nice :/ and the game itself, too.. more like a vn than the original ^^

i really do hope that steins;Gate will have good sales, so that more companies are maybe interessted into vn´s (i love PQube for their guts and preordered the vita LE.. that really deserves support, so maybe i´ll get the ps3 version also later ^^ i saw quite a few people who normally don´t read vn´s but ordered s;g too maybe just because it´s a vn for the vita and prefer it over pc, but don´t know ^^)

maybe sekai will bring us grisaia for the vita, but i´m not so sure about that :/

but i´d say higurashi (and cross channel) are two of my most wanted vn´s at the moment

If I weren't so broke I would have already ordered the Vita LE. As of now I just want to see how much the NA SKU will cost. Since, prices in Canada have skyrocketed it might be even more cost effective to import from Europe. :/

ThisIDWasTaken
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ThisIDWasTaken » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:15 pm

One hundred thousand percent YES, this game needs a localization. It's kind of sad how little popularity visual novels have outside of Japan, as I think they are a great storytelling medium. I think, like a lot of things, visual novels just need the right catalyst to really ignite peoples' interest, and I believe that Higurashi would be a great choice for that role. Think about it: this series started almost thirteen years ago as a simple dojin novel game put together by a staff of what, three people (at least in the beginning)? And yet it exploded in popularity, crossed over into almost every entertainment medium in existence, and it's still getting attention! There's definitely a reason for that, and I think this is a good time to show the rest of the gaming world what it is.

I had overlooked Higurashi several times myself (for various reasons) before I finally took a chance on it. When I did give it a shot, it was like meeting my soulmate. I think a fresh coat of paint like what this collection offers would do wonders for bringing other fence-sitters into the fold!

Higurashi: Come for the creepy. Stay for the feels.

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:28 am

Is "Higurashi: When They Cry Best" a sequel to "Higurashi: When They Cry"?. Does one need to have played the latter to enjoy the former?

ThisIDWasTaken
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ThisIDWasTaken » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 am

NewGuy wrote:Is "Higurashi: When They Cry Best" a sequel to "Higurashi: When They Cry"?. Does one need to have played the latter to enjoy the former?

It's not a sequel, but a compilation of ALL of the arcs, as I understand it...the original 8, plus the ones added for the PS2 and Nintendo DS versions. Basically, it's everything Higurashi ever, all in one title, hence why it is the "Best". :D

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:31 am

I really want to play this game on my Vita. For some bizarre reason, following the recent surge in the localization of Visual Novels I am slightly confident that we will get the game.

ThisIDWasTaken
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ThisIDWasTaken » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:48 am

I was shocked when I saw that Steins;Gate (the VN) was getting a localization last year. From what I've seen, it looks like Clannad is finally getting a localization at some point too, but that took years to come around. I'm thinking that the reason those games are finally popping up is at least partly due the success of their respective anime, though. I'm just hoping that Higurashi Best doesn't get ignored for 10 years, too. I thought NISA would be a good choice for the localization, since they've handled pseudo-VN projects before (like Ar tonelico) as well as localizing the anime adaptation of Umineko When They Cry...Lo and behold, when I look on the forum for game requests, this thread was the very first one! I will choose to take that as a sign from God.

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:17 pm

The two Danganronpas have sold more than 200,000 copies. NISA I hope you will consider Higurashi for a localization.

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:52 am

Guys and gals, do you think this game has any chance of getting localized? It's not too dissimilar to Dangaronpa.

Oniros
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Oniros » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:03 pm

NewGuy wrote:Guys and gals, do you think this game has any chance of getting localized? It's not too dissimilar to Dangaronpa.

Don't stop believing!

Return to “Game Requests”