Criminal Girls 2 & localized suggestions

Forum for making game localization requests via posts/polls/whatever.
The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Re: Criminal Girls 2 & localized suggestions

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Our reputation is just fine, but thanks for your concern! :)
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:26 pm

The_Dood_Abides wrote:Our reputation is just fine, but thanks for your concern! :)

Ehhhh... It's taken a hit recently, I think.

Though I also think, in fairness, XSEED skews it by just not localizing games they'd "have" to censor, or people drawing comparisons that don't make sense (Criminal Girls to Senran is a common one), but two or so years ago, I always saw people saying fairly positive stuff about you guys - this is no longer the case.

Mind, this may be reputation (with a certain group), I don't know, but I do think it's taken a hit to some degree. I don't agree with the majority of the complaints (save some which now extend elsewhere), but there are a lot of them.

ivanchu77
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ivanchu77 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Really hope the sequel gets localized! just got the platinum for the first game and it was such a wonderful and fun game, and nowhere near as bad or pervy as some people claimed it was, game actually was fun to play and the story was pretty decent, you really get attached to the characters and have pretty good character development, they act completely different by the end of the game compared how they show themselves at the beggining.... it would suck if we miss this game just because of censoship bullshit drama and/or people being puritans , i wonder how many of these actually bothered to give a chance to the game and actually play and complete it instead of just rambling on the internet.....

Would totally buy this day 1 Nisa, please make it happen and localize it if possible ^_^

Aardbark
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Aardbark » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Seventh wrote:The censorship was kept to a minimum, all things considered.

I tend to think the outrage was mostly from people who didn't realize most of the fog was in both versions of the game.

Compare the english version to the japanese version side by side, and the censorship is very obvious. I would not call that a "minimum", and it looks pretty bad in my opinion.

Side by side comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG3Tq7QhHZ8

However I did still buy the game, and I enjoyed it (didnt enjoy the censorship though). But I bought it in the hopes that when it came to future releases, NISA would have more sway, and be able to provide us with uncensored games.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:52 pm

*Tosses popcorn into mouth*

I remember the English version having noticeably less fog as time went on. Showing lots of fog in the English version, and no fog in the Japanese, isn't necessarily a good comparison. That's not exactly an unbiased channel.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Rednal wrote:*Tosses popcorn into mouth*

I remember the English version having noticeably less fog as time went on. Showing lots of fog in the English version, and no fog in the Japanese, isn't necessarily a good comparison. That's not exactly an unbiased channel.

It is an accurate video. If you look at the backgrounds you can see they both use the same stage of the punishment mini game. In Japan the final stage is completely clear, in all other regions there is a layer of fog remaining in all stages. It makes sense given NISA included a completely nonremovable patch of fog, had they only included that patch of fog it would have looked awkward as hell.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 pm

razisgosu wrote:It is an accurate video. If you look at the backgrounds you can see they both use the same stage of the punishment mini game. In Japan the final stage is completely clear, in all other regions there is a layer of fog remaining in all stages. It makes sense given NISA included a completely nonremovable patch of fog, had they only included that patch of fog it would have looked awkward as hell.

While it is accurate for the most part, it doesn't exactly show the whole thing.

Only the beginning few seconds are shown for both examples. So because of that, the fact that the steam/fog actually goes away as you progress through the minigame isn't really shown all that well. Not to mention the two comparison images afterwords are of the beginning, not even showing how little of the steam/fog there is by the end. Nowhere in the video or the footnotes in the video description show or mention that at all.

Either on purpose or not, it's made to look worse than it actually is. And this isn't really the first time Censored Gaming, at least from what I've seen, has done something like this.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:27 pm

*Nods*

Basically, I'm with Shadow on this one. The linked video generally doesn't seem like an unbiased comparison of the two games. Actually, reading the description, it felt more like clickbait trying to generate outrage (and views, and possibly ad revenue - I dunno, I have an adblocker on), rather than a reasonably balanced consideration of the facts.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Aardbark
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Aardbark » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:34 am

While the comparison video could have been better, its the only one that I could find done side by side. I once found an image that compared the side by side final stage of punishment, but I cant seem to find it again.

Also note that the image is cropped in the english version, making the girl less visible. No one seemed to notice this.

In the english version of the punishment game, even on the final stage, there is fog everywhere. As the mini game progresses, the fog dissipates, but there is still light fog lingering around even at the end. The japanese version is fully clear, no fog at all. In the english version there are also dense fog patches covering various parts of the girls bodies. These patches do not dissipate at all.

So in total, the english versions censorship is:

More overall fog, even on the final (normally clear) stage.
Thick fog patches in select areas.
Image cropped.
Girls audio removed.

Either way, my original point was that I personally found the censorship to be disappointing and a bit distracting. As I said, I still enjoyed the game and glad it was localized, but the censorship WAS there and in my opinion it was significant.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:41 am

The fact that people consider this significant and are boycotting games over it when a few years back no one would even touch the PSP game is why 2 is probably less likely.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:33 am

People will spend their money on what they deem worthy to spend their money on. If they do not find an altered product acceptable they won't spend their money on it. Honestly while the changes aren't that significant, if it wasn't for the fact Criminal Girls was my fetish (probably too much information :lol:) I probably would have said "these modifications are a little too much for my liking, I can wait for it to go on sale".

I think Criminal Girls 2 is a given at this point, not less likely. NISA simply generally does not give up on IPs they've acquired for localization once they've started. I can't think of any title that they didn't continue releasing sequels as they come out. Plus, our blues on the forums have said Criminal Girls sales have made them pleased.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:36 am

We didn't get Makai Kingdom PSP, yo.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:12 am

Wasn't PSP all but dead in the west by 2011? October 2011 release in Japan puts a US release in 2012.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:00 pm

razisgosu wrote:Wasn't PSP all but dead in the west by 2011? October 2011 release in Japan puts a US release in 2012.
We've had niche PSP localizations since, as well as one even this year.

Let me hold my grudge!

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Aardbark wrote:Also note that the image is cropped in the english version, making the girl less visible. No one seemed to notice this.

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe that's cause it's not completely true.

I remember back when the outrage was at it's peak, that very argument was being made. When you start the minigame, the crop level of the image is different each time and the Japanese version does this as well.

Notice how all 3 are at different crop levels if you compare them side by side. Example 1 is zoomed in close while the other two are farther out:
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

So this wasn't another thing done out of censorship. It's something that was carried over from the original.

Return to “Game Requests”