General Anime Discussion

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 pm

All this means for me is that I will completely discontinue using Funimation, as I couldn't care less about Dubbed anything. I want to hear them in the original Japanese language. It feels more "right" to do it that way. Sure I miss a little bit of detail when I can't quite keep up with the Subtitles sometimes, but it's become part of the experience for me.

As I said, this just benefits me by kicking out one of my paid subscriptions. I'm currently working on the last two Anime I had Queued on Funimation that aren't already on CrunchyRoll. Namely: Fractale and Pretear. Once I finish those, Funimation will see the end of my usage.

Honestly, I think CrunchyRoll is better. They're a little less organized, but at least they don't have all the server and buffer issues that Funimation is constantly plagued by. They also don't put those obnoxious "FUNIMATION. YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING." things at the beginning of every episode...

It's all quite ironic, as Funimation seems more... "official" as an Anime streamer than the non-indicatively-named CrunchyRoll.
Amethytus Library's Latest Entry: *2015/09/27 - Trouble Witches: Nest of Disruption*

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby redsilversnake » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:25 pm

CR also has better translators. They still make some obvious mistakes, but usually neither as often nor as irritating as Funimation's.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:55 am

Boredom is a really dangerous obstacle. It can cause you to waste a lot of time on meaningless drivel that no one will ever care about.

Speaking of, I wrote up an overview containing some general thoughts of everything I saw this past season (Fall 2016) of anime. And I randomly decided to post it here as well...because boredom.

Anticipated Every Week:
Spoiler:
"Alderamin on the Sky" - I actually read the manga adaptation, it’s originally an LN, some time ago. So being an adaptation of something I’m already familiar with, of course I’d check it out to see how it got handled. Thankfully, it actually worked out pretty well for the most part I feel. Regardless, being an adaption, the ending is obviously not an actual ending. So with that, I can only hope that there'd be some sort of continuation.

"Fate/kaleid liner Primsa Illya 3rei" - This is actually the 4th season which covers some of the 3rd season of the manga…yeah. Having read the manga, I actually skipped the anime due to not liking some of the adaptive choices but decided to jump into this one since it was quite the bit more serious so I thought it'd be handled better. Not perfect, but not bad either. The next arc is actually being adapted as a movie which should be interesting. Either way, I liked it. Especially as a “Fate” fan.

"Mahoutsukai no Yome" - Kind of cheating to count it since there is only a single episode out right now and it doesn't seem to have a regular release schedule. I read the manga some time ago (I'm starting to notice a theme here) and really liked it. I’m kind of disappointed that this isn’t a straight adaption but more of an original side-story but for what’s there so far, I found it really enjoyable.

"Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu" - Surprise, surprise. One of the highest rated shows of the last two seasons being an anticipated show for me? Yeah.

Enjoyed:
Spoiler:
"Active Raid 2nd" - Kamen Rider Police Officers. When people in superpowered suits have to follow the regulations of the law. It’s also the second season, the first seasons actually aired a couple seasons back and I liked it there, though it seems like I was one of the few. The second season isn’t perfect. There are plenty of hit or miss moments, especially as a follow-up, but was interesting enough overall for me.

"Endride" / 2nd Cour - I’m actually surprised that I ended up liking this more than I thought I would. The first cour I initially had at an meh/indifferent but the 2nd half I found to be a bit better. I swear, this felt like the story of a fantasy RPG but just as a show instead of a game.

"Fukigen na Mononokean" - I felt like more could have been done but being an adaption, it was pretty good for what it was. A simple laid back experience.

"Kuromukuro" - Surprisingly not much to say. I liked it and now want to see it in a “Super Robot Taisen” entry oddly enough. I hope that there is a continuation of some sort.

"Momokuri" - Who knew a story about a school girl stalking her underclassmen boyfriend could end up being so adorable. I liked the comedy and the relationship between the main pair, and other characters, actually develops over the course of the show.

"New Game" - It’s a “cute girls doing x” show. A little more focus on the “cute girls” part than I would have liked but the “x” parts were pretty interesting for me. I originally was going to put it over in the meh/indifferent section but it ended up winning me over enough in the end since I really did enjoy the “x” parts.

"Planetarian" - Before this aired, I actually went and read the VN for it. Rather short, finished it in a couple of hours and ended up rather liking it. This, being an adaption, was also enjoyable. It changed up and streamlined a couple of events and dialogue but I feel that it still all worked in the end.

"Qualidea Code" - This show feels like it got a lot of hate over the course of its run. I don’t know, I rather liked it myself. Though I do think the production values could have been better.

"Scared Rider XechS" - Boy band Power Rangers. It’s so ridiculous and I liked it. Ending could have been better though. It’s also obviously a VN adaption following only one of the routes so some characters obviously didn’t get much development.

"Servamp" - I’m actually surprised at how much I ended up liking this. Only problem is that it doesn’t have a complete ending, being an adaption of an ongoing work. Also, I kind of found it funny that it used a lot of surreal imagery at points. Mostly since I also recently watched "Monogatari” and that used a lot of surreal imagery as well…but I disliked it there and found it to detract from the overall experience but I liked it in “Servamp” and thought it enhanced it.

"Show By Rock Short" - As the name implies, it’s a short. Around 4-5 minutes long an episode. I actually accidentally saw the first season, don’t ask, and rather liked it. The short acts more as a warm up for the second season which is airing the upcoming season. Definitely looking forward to that.

"Tales of Zestiria the X" - Kind of cheating with this one as I didn’t start watching it until the second to last episode aired. Reason for that being that I was actually playing the game, which this is an adaptation of. Finally finishing that, I jumped into this for comparisons. I surprisingly liked the anime adaption quite the bit more oddly enough. While it definitely lacks a lot of the finer details that you can out of the game, not to mention it still has it's own share of flaws as well, it just feels like a better put together experience. While a bit on the slower end, the pacing I found to be much better handled (outside of the two "Berseria" centric episodes which was kind of jarring) and some of the changes to events did wonders to create a more cohesive experience. I even swear that some of the characters seem to display more personality than their game counterparts somehow, despite having less overall screen time than their game counterparts so far. I guess the whole phrase "skip the game, just watch the anime" which is getting thrown around isn’t that far off as I'm partially agreeing with it.

"Twin Star Exorcist" / 2nd Cour - It’s been a while since I last watched a show like this. The “Naruto”/”Bleach” kind of show. Right now, it’s entered an anime original arc, which is iffy for a lot of people. The episodes have been hit or miss so far but I am still enjoying it overall so far. It’s also continuing into a 3rd cour this upcoming season so I’ve got more to enjoy out of it.

Meh/Indifferent:
Spoiler:
"Amaama to Inazuma - it was solid enough but I feel like it tried relying to much on the cutesy elements, which it very much had. I liked the drama when it happened since it felt like the characters were actually growing out of them but the resolutions I felt could have been better. Every resolution one way or another involved cooking something and then enjoying eating it. A lot of people loved it, found it to be very precious, but it just didn’t really connect with me personally in that regard.

"Amanchu" - Many seemed to like this one but I really didn’t get it The show was more about the journey and growth than the end result. But I didn’t really connect with the characters all that much.

"Hitori no Shita: The Outcast" - This one actually confuses me. Felt like it couldn’t decide what tone it was going for. Sometimes it’s really silly, other times it’s deadly serious. The main character was sometimes weak and worthless, but other times he was ridiculously overpowered. It also ended with a 2nd season hook so it’s pretty much incomplete at this point. I also went into it thinking it was a straight zombie show based on the synopsis but it wasn’t like that, was more of a starting set up, so I was kind of disappointed in that regard.

"Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru" - Being a comedy, it was alright. I had a couple of laughs. But I really couldn’t stand two of the characters, one whose entire character existed to just be really annoying and the other represented everything I dislike about the anime community.

"Macross Δ" / 2nd Cour - I was pretty disappointed in this one. Of the “Macross” series, the only other one I saw was “Macross Frontier” which I did like. But this new entry felt like it could have been much better. Some characters felt lacking or just didn’t go anywhere, the conflict technically didn’t get resolved (story in general felt rushed near the end), and I felt like the battles were rather lacking. Music has always been an important part to this franchise but it felt really odd here. It went from a war drama which had music as a driving force in the older entries to here which had a battle idol-group that used music as a super-power. Yeah…

"Masou Gakuen HxH" - Not much to say about this one. Lots of sexualized characters and situations, story was kind of all over the place, and has lackluster animation. Though what surprised me is that it’s been confirmed to be getting a 2nd season.

"Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars" - Quite the story behind this one. 4 episodes in, I wasn’t really liking it. Thought it was shallow yuri-bait for the most part with a poorly explained story. But even as harshly as I thought of it, I didn’t expect it to get pulled 4 episodes in and delayed for over a month. The given reason was that the developers weren’t satisfied with the quality given so far, which I thought was actually fine animation-wise, so they redid it all. I didn’t bother watching the redone first 4 episodes, the events themselves are the same with only some redone scenes to look better, so I just continued off with the new episodes when they finally caught up. Overall, it’s not much different for me really. But given that it’s still incomplete, 6 episodes in, I’ll still resolve any final judgments once it’s actually complete.

"Taboo Tattoo" - I was really disappointed with this one. Initially, I was anticipating it quite the bit since I read the manga and I did like it despite it having some flaws. When it started, it was actually okay. The animation at certain parts was pretty good as well. But as the show progressed, it just got worse and worse. Felt very rushed and it even had an incomplete ending since the manga is still ongoing, though it was stated to be ending sometime soon. The whole post ending sequence in general was pretty bad.

Disliked:
Spoiler:
"Ange Vierge" - Oh boy, where to even begin with this one. Well, to start, the first episode basically gives you all you need to know about the rest of the show. It features a huge all-female cast (like a 20+ character huge) and nearly the entire first episode was them talking to each other while taking a bath, at a big spa to be exact. And then every…single…episode from there has the characters taking a bath to some extent. Every 2 episode arc revolves around a different character but they all, except for just one, went through pretty much the exact same developments. The only redeeming quality I can think of is that the animation was okay at points. That’s it.

Dropped:
N/A

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:25 am

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:14 pm