[Fall 2015] Valkyrie Drive Mermaid (NSFW)

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

[Fall 2015] Valkyrie Drive Mermaid (NSFW)

Postby vampko » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:03 am

Official Site
This show is 100% not safe for work. The censored broadcast that Funi is likely providing might prove to be more safe, but it's not very likely it'll make it safe for work. A fair warning to any interested parties
PV (NFSWish probably) (Link broken, have to go to the Official site)
Official Site wrote:One day, suddenly on the manmade island "Mermaid", Kotomine Mamori, a previously transferred girl wakes up to someone attacking her. A new transferee, Shikishima Mirei, saves Mamori from this dilemma. However, the enemies don't stop attacking and gradually Kotomine Mamori is driven into a corner. In this seemingly desperate situation, Mirei puts her lips on Mamori. Mamori's body gets wrapped in dazzling light for a transformation. In one swing of the transformed Mamori, Mirei begins her attack but...
Last edited by vampko on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: [???] Valkyrie Drive Mermaid

Postby vampko » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:36 am

One day, suddenly on the manmade island "Mermaid", Kotomine Mamori, a previously transferred girl wakes up to someone attacking her. A new transferee, Shikishima Mirei, saves Mamori from this dilemma. However, the enemies don't stop attacking and gradually Kotomine Mamori is driven into a wall. In this desperate seeming situation, Mirei puts her lips on Mamori. Mamori's body gets wrapped in dazzling light for a transformation. In one swing of the transformed Mamori, Mirei begins her attack but...

- Story summary given from the site
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: [Fall 2015] Valkyrie Drive Mermaid

Postby vampko » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:48 am

Confirmed for Fall!

Also, Characters section updated. Sakura looks nice~
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:12 am

Well that was one step below hentai :lol:
Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:04 am

I was planning on skipping the series but with all the fuss going on about it, my curiosity got the better of me. Who knows, I might even like it (I am a huge "Queen's Blade" fan after all). Finally saw the first episode and wow. I think I really was better off just skipping it.

Cool for the others who enjoyed it and are looking forward to more but to me...this came off as nothing more than a sorry excuse for yuri garbage.

It's only the first episode, not to mention there's an entire game to come, so I could just be overly harsh but damn did that leave a bad taste in my mouth. If an interesting story pops sometime down the line I might revisit it but otherwise...I'm staying away from this.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:34 pm

shadowmaksim wrote:I was planning on skipping the series but with all the fuss going on about it, my curiosity got the better of me. Who knows, I might even like it (I am a huge "Queen's Blade" fan after all). Finally saw the first episode and wow. I think I really was better off just skipping it.

Cool for the others who enjoyed it and are looking forward to more but to me...this came off as nothing more than a sorry excuse for yuri garbage.

It's only the first episode, not to mention there's an entire game to come, so I could just be overly harsh but damn did that leave a bad taste in my mouth. If an interesting story pops sometime down the line I might revisit it but otherwise...I'm staying away from this.

It's only the first episode ._.

They've only begun to introduce the characters. Why are you surprised that the story hasn't popped up yet?
EDIT
Also, keep in mind the game is being done by someone else, and is definitely not at this level of sexual service.
Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:50 pm

vampko wrote:It's only the first episode ._.

I mentioned and addressed that point in my post.

They've only begun to introduce the characters. Why are you surprised that the story hasn't popped up yet?

Where did I state anything as such? I was saying that when/if there's an interesting enough story, at least one to me since it's all subjective, that pops up down the road, then I'll consider revisiting it. If there's nothing, then I won't and just leave it at that.

Also, keep in mind the game is being done by someone else, and is definitely not at this level of sexual service.

Which I'm aware of...but is also mostly irrelevant to what I was talking about.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:56 pm

shadowmaksim wrote:Which I'm aware of...but is also mostly irrelevant to what I was talking about.

Your post came off to me as you were letting the anime prove to you that the game would suck. The game will probably closer to Senran Kagura than anything else. Maybe more yuri because of the requirements to transform.
Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Wanted to edit this in quickly but you posted already so I'll just make a second post instead, continuing off of my previous comment. Apologies.

Look, the first episode alone really left a bad impression on me. The character designs and animation style I didn't like, the way the sexual fanservice was handled I didn't quite like, the action I found was kind of dull despite the music trying to make it sound more epic, and so on. Almost nothing about the episode that was shown left any kind of good impression on me. Nothing much to do with characterization, the story, or even much of the setting for that matter since all of them are still being developed.

So seeing how everything was treated so far, I can more or less expect how future treatment of the episodes is going to be like regarding those points I had problems with. That's why I said that if the story actually turns out to be something good, I could go back and just stomach all the problems I had for that story.

vampko wrote:Your post came off to me as you were letting the anime prove to you that the game would suck. The game will probably closer to Senran Kagura than anything else. Maybe more yuri because of the requirements to transform

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion but I apologize for misleading you regardless.

While I can't deny that watching the anime painted the game is a more negative light for me, though I didn't quite think highly of it to begin with to be entirely honest, that definitely wasn't what I was getting at.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:03 pm

As much as comments like "yuri garbage" or "yaoi garbage" really rub me the wrong way (let's face it - 99% of complaints of that nature wouldn't be made if it was a guy and a girl), I... actually have to agree that this was pretty lackluster. If it wasn't tied to any other projects, I'd be dropping it right here without a second thought.

That said, this is being done by the director of Queen's Blade and all that other stuff, so I guess it's to be expected. The other stuff might be better off without their influence, or maybe it won't be, but I'll give them a shot all the same.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Seventh wrote:As much as comments like "yuri garbage" or "yaoi garbage" really rub me the wrong way (let's face it - 99% of complaints of that nature wouldn't be made if it was a guy and a girl), I... actually have to agree that this was pretty lackluster. If it wasn't tied to any other projects, I'd be dropping it right here without a second thought.

That said, this is being done by the director of Queen's Blade and all that other stuff, so I guess it's to be expected. The other stuff might be better off without their influence, or maybe it won't be, but I'll give them a shot all the same.

Yeah. I don't have much good to say about this. But, so far, it's definitely a good deliver of softcore yuri hentai. It could get more interesting in terms of plot and whatnot. I want to take jabs at certain shows, but I shall refrain.

Anyway, it's definitely not my aots, let alone aoty. AotS will be a battle between YRYR and Gochuumon. My guess is YRYR will win. Might even take AotY from Kinmoza. It's going to be quite the fight these three moe shows have
Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Seventh wrote:That said, this is being done by the director of Queen's Blade and all that other stuff, so I guess it's to be expected. The other stuff might be better off without their influence, or maybe it won't be, but I'll give them a shot all the same.

Last I checked, that's actually incorrect.

Most of "Queen's Blade" was directed by Kinji Yoshimoto, Yōsei Morino for "QB Rebellion" and Shin Itagaki for "QB Vanquished Queens". No idea who's directing "QB Grimoire"

The person directing "Valkyrie Drive Mermaid" is Hiraku Kaneko. Most Kaneko was involved with "Queen's Blade" was being the original designer for the character Cattleya (in hindsight, I kind of find it funny that she's actually my least favorite character from the series as well).

As much as comments like "yuri garbage" or "yaoi garbage" really rub me the wrong way (let's face it - 99% of complaints of that nature wouldn't be made if it was a guy and a girl),

Yeah, I admit I was being overly harsh so I apologize but that really was what it felt like it was coming off to me as. Even stuff like "Ikkitousen", "Manyu-Hikenchou", and "Qwaser no Stigma" never came off to me like that despite also containing much of that kind of content. The later two were even also directed by Hiraku Kaneko.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm

shadowmaksim wrote:Last I checked, that's actually incorrect.
Huh! I have been led astray here for sure. My bad then.

Admittedly, I wasn't big on QB either, though I suppose it did feel a little more solid than this does so far. They're trying to follow that "characters thrown in and are confused!" formula too much in a setting that seems like it really could have used some kind of set up. I dunno.

shadowmaksim wrote:
As much as comments like "yuri garbage" or "yaoi garbage" really rub me the wrong way (let's face it - 99% of complaints of that nature wouldn't be made if it was a guy and a girl),

Yeah, I admit I was being overly harsh so I apologize but that really was what it felt like it was coming off to me as. Even stuff like "Ikkitousen", "Manyu-Hikenchou", and "Qwaser no Stigma" never came off to me like that despite also containing much of that kind of content. The later two were even also directed by Hiraku Kaneko.
Hey, don't worry - it's unfortunate, but I've actually seen comments aplenty from people who being aren't nearly as reasonable about it. :( Like... Well, that's another story. Sorry if it looked like I was making a jab at you specifically - you reminded me of some stuff I've been seeing since this aired more than anything else.

Anyway, more importantly, I actually do agree with you in that this really just wasn't impressive. Rather than yuri, though, it feels like it was just means to the end of showing off girls, and it just so happens that in this case, the solution they decided on for showing off girls was shoving two of them together. "Why have one rack when we can have two?" in essence. Like... the characters so far don't even seem that interested in each other - hell, I hesitate to even call them characters right now. Out of the three pair we've seen, the character who seems to be our "prince" doesn't speak, we have two throwaway introductory enemies, and then again we have a character that didn't speak.

Not... a whole lot going of interesting stuff here.

Though hey, if their other shows were better, maybe that stuff means this might turn around?

vampko wrote:Yeah. I don't have much good to say about this. But, so far, it's definitely a good deliver of softcore yuri hentai. It could get more interesting in terms of plot and whatnot. I want to take jabs at certain shows, but I shall refrain.

Anyway, it's definitely not my aots, let alone aoty. AotS will be a battle between YRYR and Gochuumon. My guess is YRYR will win. Might even take AotY from Kinmoza. It's going to be quite the fight these three moe shows have
Yeeeaaah I... hesitate to call this a good anything yet, not even an ad for the game, but... maybe we'll see. :lol:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Seventh wrote:the characters so far don't even seem that interested in each other

Highly disagree with this one. You could have whatever argument you wanted about the bondage chick, but the other pairs definitely seem interested in each other, and don't seem to be doing it purely to have a way to fight.

Even bondage chick I wouldn't 100% say that she wasn't in a relationship with the other girl. She could just be that masochistic that that's what she needs, and bondage chick is the girl who gives it to her.

But, all it really is is softcore hentai. You'd barely realize you were watching televized anime.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: [Fall 2015] Valkyrie Drive Mermaid (NSFW)

Postby Seventh » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Keep in mind that if characters have to arouse each other to fight in this universe, there's no reason to assume for definite right now that physical contact actually means anything, especially when a fight's involved. If anything, it's outside stuff you want for that kind of depth, and this didn't really have depth of that kind in either situation.

Bikini pair could have arguably done it because they're partners, like how characters in other people-turn-into-weapons shows do it, and it just so happens the method of using your partner in this case involves some lovin'. There wasn't any real implication beyond that they were hanging out, which really is pushing it, so right now, that one I'd say is up in the air.

S&M pair arguably had it in the insults and are just very into it, though if they're going with an S&M pair like Senran Kagura's, the "she'd do it with anyone" line might apply.

Lastly we have the main pair, one of whom hasn't spoken and the other has no idea what's even going on. You could argue that you've got the beginning of something there, but again, because of the mechanics of the setting, s'all gotta be taken with a grain of salt. :geek:

Plus Mirei barely constitutes as a character to begin with. I mean wow.

Return to “General Anime Chat”