Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:42 pm

redsilversnake wrote:
Magician_Type_0 wrote:When did I ever correlate the author and his religious affiliation? I don't even know what Urobuchi believes in if anything at all. The theory I and my friend crafted are our works entirely, completely independent of anything we know of the author. Even being a fan of the series, I can't say I even know much about Urobuchi in the first place, so from that alone it's pretty hard to assume my theory falls under the theory Barthes proposes.

There is no evidence in anything I said to assume I'm practicing the very thing Barthes argues against versus what I consider my own personal testimony of what the work means. Part of me believes that PMMM is a retelling of the phrase: Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Considering I took a few Biblical study classes in my time for fun with this same friend within the work of his Christian theology, I formed my theory on the show on my notes from that class which I held on to, how does that have to do anything with the author? I honestly doubt Urobuchi randomly opened the Bible and declared, "I'M GOING TO MAKE A STORY THAT SHOWCASES GENESIS 1, VERSE 2." :|

I don't mean in the sense of Urobuchi's beliefs, but rather of how valid such an analysis would be. In the way that death of the author is merely a way to make asinine interpretations (or just headcanon, in many recent instances) seem legitimate, attempting to view the series from a Christian standpoint seems like one is just trying to insert something that isn't there, outside of maybe Kyouko's backstory or the Faust references.

In simple terms, as long as the evidence is present in the work, I think people should speculate and analyze as much as they want. Personally I don't find it far-fetched to attribute PMMM as a retelling of the Biblical evangelions or the Genesis 1.2 theory. I remember someone arguing Rebellion on a different forum using Nietzsche's philosophies. As long as it has evidence to tie to it, and credible evidence as that, I say it's okay!

Though I agree, that the Faust allegory is the most accepted, but that doesn't imply that's the only valid interpretation either. Perhaps it is the most structurally sound, but furthermore, it is also the most blatant too.
"Happiness lies in the cultivation of the garden." Candide

"Let the foolish continue to be foolish." Me (EDG), WPHS Yearbook Quote 2006

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby redsilversnake » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 pm

To begin with, I'm not even sure how you could possibly connect it with Genesis. I admittedly only read part of it when sampling The Skeptic's Annotated Bible, and the commentary left a bigger impression on me than the actual Biblical text, but from what I do remember, I honestly cannot think of any way you could tie it to the series.
It really does still sound like your friend is looking for what he wants to be there rather than what actually is there. Like trying to analyze Mormonism in a Stephen King book or something.
Also, I didn't say the Faust allegories were the only valid interpretations, just that that would be one of the minimal venues in which one could explore Christianity in the show.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:11 pm

redsilversnake wrote:To begin with, I'm not even sure how you could possibly connect it with Genesis. I admittedly only read part of it when sampling The Skeptic's Annotated Bible, and the commentary left a bigger impression on me than the actual Biblical text, but from what I do remember, I honestly cannot think of any way you could tie it to the series.
It really does still sound like your friend is looking for what he wants to be there rather than what actually is there. Like trying to analyze Mormonism in a Stephen King book or something.
Also, I didn't say the Faust allegories were the only valid interpretations, just that that would be one of the minimal venues in which one could explore Christianity in the show.

Not Genesis, Genesis 1.2. Literally only one sentence from Genesis with profound implications. I made that very clear from the beginning. I would also like to point out that certain Christian sects believe 1.2 chronicles the manifestation of Satan without saying it explicitly.

Also I never actually said you believe Faust is the only acceptable allegorical interpretation of this series. Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said it's the only one, but the most accepted, there is a huge difference.

I would go into more depth but I'm on my phone and that's a pain.

Edit: I'll give you an answer in the next two days.

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:40 am

Here is the little thing I cooked up. You don't have to believe it or whatever. Don't bother responding if you're going to give it the tl;dr treatment, given I had to evaluate the notes of the two Biblical Study classes I took in my life. If it matters, my religious background is as such: I was Roman Catholic till 18 then tried at a friend's request, The Way International, for about a year or so now I am simply Agnostic. I see every religion as equal except the Church of Scientology. That religion can go fuck itself.

Without further explanation...

Genesis 1.1 and Genesis 1.2 ( New International Version )

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

This theory makes one bold assumption that forces role reversal on the accepted canon of the series. For this theory to be sound, you must make the assumption Madoka Kaname is Helel/Lucifer/Satan/Phosphorus and Homura Akemi is in fact God.

Preface:

Prior to stating the theory, let me outline some important interpretations of the first two lines of Genesis. Genesis 1.1 is straightforward at first glance; however, there is an overwhelming discrepancy in Genesis 1.2. Genesis 1.2 makes the implication something seems terribly ghastly about God’s creation. Depending on your interpretation here, if you look at it literally, it implies the planet was empty and devoid; however, if you look at it figuratively you can draw the assumption from the inclusion of the word “now” that the Earth in fact became formless and empty through some means. If you look at the figurative translation, the first two sentences of Genesis imply that God created a previous Earth that succumbed to some sort of ill-omen. From later statements in the Bible, we know that God is incapable of creating imperfect works, let alone works that go against the statement of good. This brings us to the notion that something beyond God’s command caused such a shift in the balance in the world that cast the world into the state Genesis 1.2 describes it as. Looking in Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28, a heavenly rebellion is mentioned. More specifically it is the mention of an individual who cast down darkness into the world, in the verse from Ezekiel, he is called King of Tyre, but in fact both accounts speak strictly of Lucifer.

Isaiah 14: 12-14
“How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, “I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God, I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.”

Ezekiel 28: 11-15
“Moreover, the word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre and say to him“, Thus says the Lord God: “You were the signet of perfection, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God every precious stone was your covering, sardius, topaz, and diamond, beryl, onyx, and jasper, sapphire, emerald, and carbuncle and crafted in gold were your settings and your engravings. On the day that you were created they were prepared. You were an anointed guardian cherub. I placed you; you were on the holy mountain of God; in the midst of the stones of fire you walked. You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created, till unrighteousness was found in you.””

Cutting straight to the chase, both of these verses outline the creation of a heavenly being that was only second to God and the treasonous act he committed on the world. This act is none other than the great rebellion, Lucifer’s fall from grace that left the heavens divided. Some people theorize that Genesis 1.1 and Genesis 1.2 have a giant separation of time between them, leading to what people call the Gap Theory. This theory implies that while God’s first world was indeed perfect, a microcosm of the ideal society, it was sundered by the selfish desires of his right hand and turned upside down. When Lucifer rebelled, the War of the Angels commenced that left Heaven and Earth ravaged. As mentioned in Isaiah, he laid the nations low, brought corruption and ruination to the world and created pandemonium to the universe that had to be fixed immediately. Between the fighting and God casting his judgment for punishing Lucifer and his army of fallen angels, it made the world uninhabitable, the darkness being a symbol for judgment and sin, mentioned later on in the Bible in the Books of John and Jude, and furthermore used as one of the mythical plagues of Egypt.

In the end, the simple reading of the first two verses can read something similar to that God originally created the world with light, but Lucifer’s selfishness and God’s judgment brought darkness to the world. As a result of this, God had to spend six days repairing the Earth and bringing it back to be a habitable zone for his people. The repair was necessary because the calamity incurred by the war was so devastating that it reduced the planet to essentially a husk of itself, implying that all life had been lost by Genesis 1.2, and that God personally had to fix everything in the aftermath of it all.

The final two lines simply indicate that all that was left of the once proud Earth was an ocean cast into darkness, the darkness that Lucifer brought as well as God’s darkness that would soon bring about judgment, with the second phrase indicating God is ready to take his action into practice in 1.3.

Spoiler:
Allegorical Connection to Puella Magi Madoka Magica + Rebellion Story

Applying the role reversal and these ideas:
Pre-Madoka World: WORLD 1 ( Genesis 1.1 )
Post-Madoka World: WORLD 1 ( Genesis 1.2 )
Post-Homura World: WORLD 2 ( Genesis 1.3 and on )

World 1:

Homura creates the system that enslaves Madoka; however, in this world, Homura is somewhat of an overseer and superior to her but in a lesser sense. Despite enslaving her, it is under passionate guise, protecting the individual that to her embodies perfection, no ill, radiant beauty, smart, etc. Who usurps Homura in this world? None other than Madoka, the beloved, the cherished girl of Homura. An analogy that parallels the relationship of God and Satan prior to the fall, that Satan was God’s favorite and correspondingly made him the most powerful being in the universe other than himself. Even though the implications are grim, prior to the events of Rebellion, this is an ideal world that Homura, a world that from her angle she finds acceptable . Homura is satisfied with this world, insisting she will walk through the endless labyrinth forever to protect her beloved from the machinations of the world. Despite she is forced to work constantly to maintain balance in her world, she gets to be in the presence of her friend and perhaps the one she shows deeper affection towards all the while playing God to her world, protecting her, restarting the world should something dastardly happen. Looking at what Homura’s actions causes, her repeating of time incites untapped power into Madoka, that Homura is single-handedly responsible for giving Madoka so much power. In the end though, despite Homura’s pleading and anguish, Madoka goes against Homura’s wishes and casts forth her own personal rebellion in an attempt to liberate Homura from the cycle she has placed herself in.

World 2:

Before I start talking about this one as this one requires more tapping into the Bible, as well as looking at the original Hebrew translation of Genesis 1.2. In the original Hebrew text, a unique term manifests itself here, Tohu Wa Bohu, a phrase that has several definitions: “Waste and void,” “formless and empty,” “chaos/pandemonium and desolation.” This phrase is the literal description of the Earth prior to the repair process outlined above, and in the grandest sense Homura’s perceived reality of the world she is now subject to, but I will revisit this later. Analysis of various interpretations of the Bible also implicate that the term can be used to mean destruction and looking at it from older, more archaic interpretations puts into perspective a few things as well as supports some of the visual imagery present in parts of the Rebellion. One version of the Bible translates the condition of Earth as being equivalent to an arid wasteland and others mention concepts of ruination, un-inhabitation, etc. Despite first being used in Genesis 1.2, the term crops up again several times later on in the Bible and it all references the same concepts.

Regarding the mention of the arid wasteland, I point your attention to one notable scene from the show as well as several from the Rebellion movie. The only context for this term in the show is in the very last scene that shows Homura traversing through what appears to be a haunting, husk of a landscape ready to fight Wraiths, the only beings in the scene with her being herself and the Wraiths. Whereas in Rebellion, you have visual imagery in the opening showcased to Colorful, with Homura alone in the wasteland, and in most of the visuals of her, she has a bewildered or depressed expression on her face, possibly out of confusion as to what the world has transformed into and furthermore feeling empty at the fact her motivation in life has been stripped from her. From Homura’s perspective, the world is in a state of chaos, as almost nothing makes sense to her initially in her cloister world, all the while her life is partially devoid of meaning because she doesn’t have her beloved with her. Later on in the movie, take note of where Homura seems to be isolated. She is laying on a slab of rock in the middle of no where, for all we know, the world where she is laying unconscious can perhaps be an indicator of what the world is slowly growing towards. While the movie did specify that the Isolation Cell needs to be far from civilization, but does it seem peculiar that the design team picked a desert to place her “tomb” in, not just a remote desert, but a desert that has toppled structures, and showcases a landscape that appears to be war torn. Not to mention the sky is saturated with ominous clouds that almost resemble smoke, further indicating that the area she’s placed in appears to resemble a war torn canvas of reality.

Let’s now examine the 3 pairs of definitions of the words and place them in context of the narrative. From Homura’s perspective, we can deduce a few things. Mind you, this entirely focuses on Homura’s vision and only hers as in the end, as she is God, only her opinion matters. The world is thrust into potentially a worse chaos and sense of disorder as before. The conditions more or less are the same, but Homura lacks her objective that governs her, and more importantly, has forgotten what it is initially. As a result of being bewildered, the world and its implications come off as confusing, wondering why certain people have come back from the dead, why a Madoka Kaname exists when in theory she should not, being absent-minded of what happened prior to the events of the Rebellion canon. Delving further, it becomes more obvious things are off between the multitude of things in the world that should not exist, even beyond the obvious observations mentioned beforehand. Via indirect means, Madoka’s ascension can be attributed to the follies of Homura and what transpires, the creation of the cloister the world, the raw confusion, the anguish, and everything in between. It becomes quickly apparent this is not the world Homura wished to live for, nor is it the world that she remembers it being, and most importantly, it is a world that goes against her objective back in World 1. As a result of losing control of Madoka, the new world comes across as empty and desolate for her as she lost the very thing she struggled to protect. The world is one giant farce that denies her true happiness and satisfaction in living her life.

Note that the only person who seems apprehensive to upkeep the new system is Homura herself, saying the new world makes a mockery of the past, and undermines her attempt at fulfilling her objective. Though because Homura plays the role of god, only she needs to be dissatisfied to bring about a sense of change. She is the one who deduces the chaos in this new world, as the others would never have thought anything differently of it and continued living in this false utopia.

The very world she now lives in masks its true nature, has rampant metaphysical nonsense happening in spades, whether it be mysterious familiars running rampant, people with distorted faces, all the while set to characters she knew and grew up with that vary different from their previous incarnations. While to others the new world seems rather satisfactory, from Homura’s viewpoint the new world is a complete mess, and furthermore, bound by rules that defy logic.

In the end, Homura plunges the world into darkness, her “field” enveloping the universe and casting judgment upon it, most importantly casting judgment on Madoka’s prior decision. She drops the veil of the darkness that will cover the surface of the deep, the world which we once knew, and her newly divine spirit will examine the world and dictate what is best for people and what is ultimately best for Madoka.

World 3:

Homura regains control over the fate she placed herself in the start of the show, she is the commander once again, and doesn’t have to worry about the terrible implications the inferior prior world brought to her. God spent six days working on fixing the world, guess how many still screens exist from Homura’s final words to Kyuubey while she torments him prior to the next time we see what resembles to be a human world, inhabited by people? SIX, with the sixth image being an image of what appears to be a beautiful syzygy of the Sun, Moon, and Earth. The next image we see of Homura following the conception of the 3rd world is her relaxing at her table, sipping her cocktail, resting; resting from her tiring work of reshaping the world.

In this world, everything is back in line with what Homura finds to be acceptable. Madoka has been cast out of her heaven and walks the mortal world amongst man with Homura reclaiming the throne of being the one in control, forcing Madoka to be a participant in the mortal domain, much like how some people insist the mortal world belongs to Satan. With everything said and done, Homura is satisfied and deems her work good, though obviously at the loss of her sanity.

Most importantly, the obvious implication that Madoka and Homura will now be destined to be enemies seems a certainty, much like God and Satan will be at odds forever after the resolution of their first war. Thinking into the series from a future prospect, it is most likely that Madoka will be the aggressor of the next conflict, given her ghastly reaction at Homura’s final speech in the “bridge.” On a similar thematic note, Homura makes mention of the possibility of destroying the world in her discussion with Sayaka at an indeterminate time period, paralleling the concept of the divine Rapture.

Prior to closing this theory, some people might be wondering why the visual imagery seems to clash for this theory. Here is the simple solution to this problem:

Homura: As mentioned above, black in Scripture is a color associated with the judgment of the Lord. Considering she doesn’t acquire her black mantle until she casts judgment on Madoka, it’s not too far off. The color also is an indicator of transition after a form of demise. Given this is an attempt to see the show as a retelling of the creation of the world, and the fact God had undertaken tasks that perhaps were not part of the original agenda, it represents a phase transition for him, in the case of the show, a transition for Homura into a new person, a new being.

Madoka: Yes, white is categorically the color of holiness and purity, but let’s not deceive ourselves here. White is also an obvious color to put your villains in to create clashing of imagery too. Take a look at Ladd Russo from Baccano! Or the villain from Psycho-Pass or from a videogame standpoint Lord Yggdrasill from Tales of Symphonia. In fact, there are at least two mentions of the Bible, one in Corinthians and the other in Revelations that mention Satan can take the guise of an angel. Keep in mind, Satan is still the second most powerful being, even after being defeated by God in the War of the Angels, despite his form changes constantly in the Bible, whether it be a snake, a foul beast, a dragon, an ugly demon, or a radiant angel, the possibility is there. Let’s also not forget what the novel Heart of Darkness taught us, that sometimes the purest objects by first glance are perhaps the most rotten, specifically his analogy of the white sepulchre.

In short summary, the crux of the theory assumes the theory that God created two worlds in the chronicles of Genesis. In the first world, Homura had more or less control over Madoka’s fate and lived her life to try to satisfy her compulsion to protect that one who is dearest to her, similarly to how God at one point in time loved Lucifer. Out of an attempt to stop Homura’s actions and undermine her to give her peace, Madoka rebels against the wishes of her friend and the one who gave her all her power in the first place to create an idealistic heaven where Homura can be exempt from worrying about her. Using the power that Homura had given her, Madoka takes upon the action of usurping the world and creates a world bent on her own set of rules, going against Homura’s own wishes. Due to Homura’s disapproval of the new world, notably in that no one can remember Madoka’s sacrifice, as well as her life feeling short of empty for breaking her own personal covenant to her friend, Homura conducts her own campaign of rebellion to topple the chaotic and empty new universe that Madoka constructed and succeeds and casts her back into the real world and strips her of some of her power.

Genesis 1.1: Homura creates her own personal heaven where she can be with her beloved and protect her. [ God creates a world where everything is at peace and harmony ]
Genesis 1.2: Madoka creates a new version of heaven and a new vision of the world that goes counter to Homura’s wishes. As a result, a conflict of the minds forms and forces Homura to overthrow Madoka in the end, erasing the reality she refused to accept. [ God is forced to cast judgment on the world because of Lucifer’s betrayal and as a result the world is cast into utter disarray ]
Genesis 1.3-Onward: Homura takes command of the world once more and brings it back in line of what she deems is acceptable. [ God fixes the previous world ]

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby redsilversnake » Thu May 01, 2014 8:54 am

Holy fuck, there's wall of text, and then there's Empire State Building of text.
Anyway, as I thought, there's a lot you had to stretch to make the connection, primarily through that very liberal reading of the second line. I have to leave shortly, but I'll see about going into more detail when I get back.
Also, wasn't the six days version of creation the second one, not the first? I'm pretty sure the first one doesn't actually mention the amount of time it took.

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:58 am

redsilversnake wrote:Holy fuck, there's wall of text, and then there's Empire State Building of text.
Anyway, as I thought, there's a lot you had to stretch to make the connection, primarily through that very liberal reading of the second line. I have to leave shortly, but I'll see about going into more detail when I get back.
Also, wasn't the six days version of creation the second one, not the first? I'm pretty sure the first one doesn't actually mention the amount of time it took.

Yes, the six days of creation were for the theorized "second" Earth. You are indeed correct that it never mentions in the Bible how long of a time period it took God to make the original Earth.

Of course it's liberal. But this is the nature of the game of analysis. Not to mention it is also analysis of the Bible and given so many Christian sects view pieces of it vastly differently, it's inevitable you have to sometimes skew the text and depending on the affiliation of others, they'll read lines differently than you. I can tell you from experience being a member of two Christian groups in the past, both groups I was a member of had a lot of points of divergence.

I'm not saying my theory is absolute by any means, but there is evidence in the show and Rebellion to justify the theory I formulated. It's not the most solid theory, but there is enough evidence there to make you cock your eyebrow and look at certain things differently.

Though in my personal belief, I think the theory I formulated can potentially be about as sound as the Faust allegory. I admit I wrote it very fast, but I think there are some fascinating correlations between Genesis and the series.

Also as a disclaimer, the reading of the second line in Genesis, specifically the way I attempt to translate it is the way it is canonically translates from the standpoint of the religious sect The Way International as well as people who believe in the "Gap Theory" that I mention. I did mention the alternate interpretation of the line and one that is more common is that God just created an Earth that was initially empty and then filled it with resources and life. I did make that disclaimer in my analysis and also do specifically state that my theory hinges on the "second Earth" theory. I'm sure other Christian organizations might read the line similarly, but from personal experience I do know for a FACT, The Way International does read Genesis 1.2 in the manner I analyzed it.

This show also happens to be my baby and the show that I would like to think saved anime as a literature medium for me. I am willing to put the extra time to pose this conjecture to this series because it deserves it. I'm not willing to do that for about 98% of the shows I watch.

Aikia
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Ending of madoka magica movie 3

Postby Aikia » Sat May 03, 2014 4:13 pm

I need clarification on the ending of rebellion.

Do not click if you didnt see the ending

Spoiler:
At the complete end,

1. Is Homura still a witch ?

2. To my understanding, she created a perfect world and now removes/absorbs everyones pain ? And what happens with the kyubey's ?
Last edited by Aikia on Sun May 04, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat May 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Spoiler:
That's one theory.

Her world isn't really "perfect" exactly - the world itself is shown to be very screwed up outside of everyone not being Puella Magi. I don't think she's absorbing despair either - the Law of Cycles is still "there," Madoka is simply no longer part of it.

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:08 am

redsilversnake wrote:Holy fuck, there's wall of text, and then there's Empire State Building of text.

So where is this "response" you said you were gonna post when you got back? It's been a week.

~~~

Not really too surprised no one has bothered investigating the Genesis theory I tossed out. :?

Next time I guess I'll just spend my time playing video-games rather than posting meaningful conjecture on a series I appreciate that I thought other people too appreciated. Glad I wasted part of my Wednesday on essentially nothing.

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby redsilversnake » Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 am

I was really tired when I got back, so I figured I'd get back to it later, only to completely forget about it. I don't even remember much of what you wrote.
If I had time, I'd look at it again, but I'm about to get aggressive in my job-searching, so I doubt I'll be doing more than usual on this or any other forum.

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:03 am

redsilversnake wrote:I was really tired when I got back, so I figured I'd get back to it later, only to completely forget about it. I don't even remember much of what you wrote.
If I had time, I'd look at it again, but I'm about to get aggressive in my job-searching, so I doubt I'll be doing more than usual on this or any other forum.

Color me not surprised by this revelation.

Good luck on that job hunt though.

Edit: My friends essentially do the same thing that happened here all the time. Leave me hanging on reviews, analyses, texts and don't bother giving me 10 minutes of their time. Hence my pessimism.

buttonmasher
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby buttonmasher » Fri May 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Are there any official DVD copies of the movies?
and remember everyone,"bow your heads low, all hail Shadow"!

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:07 am

buttonmasher wrote:Are there any official DVD copies of the movies?

They most certainly are. All three of them have been localized, though the 3rd movie, Rebellion, the only official version is the Japanese version but it has English subtitles.

The quality of the movies, boxes, and what not are all quite superb. They're well worth the money.

killer9i1994
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby killer9i1994 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Did everyone hear the good news that Aniplex announced the first two movies are coming out in July and they'll be dubbed? I'm so excited, because I've been patiently waiting for the dub. I just need to decide if I want to get both movies on DVD for $60 or pay $100 for the blu-ray limited edition. Even though I love Madoka Magica, $100 for two movies and an artbook is kinda pricey for me.

Now the dub for Rebellion is only a matter of time. Oh, I can't wait!

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:15 pm

killer9i1994 wrote:Did everyone hear the good news that Aniplex announced the first two movies are coming out in July and they'll be dubbed? I'm so excited, because I've been patiently waiting for the dub. I just need to decide if I want to get both movies on DVD for $60 or pay $100 for the blu-ray limited edition. Even though I love Madoka Magica, $100 for two movies and an artbook is kinda pricey for me.

Now the dub for Rebellion is only a matter of time. Oh, I can't wait!

Oh? That's neat. If I didn't already fork the money for the LEs of the former movies already, I'd consider it. All things considered, the English dub of PMMM is by no means mediocre and doesn't deserve the flack it gets. While it does have its moments where the performances are rather awkward, I don't think it's fair to single out a dub for being ass for one or two bad lines like I think people tend to do. Then again, people are unintelligent.

While the English of PMMM doesn't have the intense emotional gravitas of the original voice score, it is on its own rather commendable.

Hopefully the English LEs are as well handled as the Japanese ones.

~~~

On a different note. I'm happy I managed to sneak a pre-order for "Dunkelmeister" yesterday. I missed the initial ones because I fell asleep... luckily that didn't fuck me over in the end.

Return to “General Anime Chat”