What are you currently watching?

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: What are you currently watching?

Postby Lan-kun » Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Due to a certain post I made in the Random Posts of Doom thread and vampko's (a million thanks btw) response to it, I found myself checking out Prism Paradise's first episode. It has been a few years since I delved into the world of Prism but HOT FVCKING DAMN IS IT GOOD TO BE BACK!

The colors!
The art style!
The handful of interesting characters-kuma introduced in ep. 1 alone-pri!
The voice acting!
The music...! *musical boner*

And the one character that made me sell my soul to this series and what caused me to check it out in the first place...!

Spoiler:
Praise be to Laala's adorableness! Praise! Praise!
why does it always have to be the purple-haired characters...

I'm going to watch the fvck out of this series aaaaaaall summer long. Probably gonna rewatch the three Pretty Rhythms as well.

...God dammit.
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue May 24, 2016 5:22 am

Lan-kun wrote:Due to a certain post I made in the Random Posts of Doom thread and vampko's (a million thanks btw) response to it, I found myself checking out Prism Paradise's first episode. It has been a few years since I delved into the world of Prism but HOT FVCKING DAMN IS IT GOOD TO BE BACK!

The colors!
The art style!
The handful of interesting characters-kuma introduced in ep. 1 alone-pri!
The voice acting!
The music...! *musical boner*

And the one character that made me sell my soul to this series and what caused me to check it out in the first place...!

Spoiler:
Praise be to Laala's adorableness! Praise! Praise!
why does it always have to be the purple-haired characters...

I'm going to watch the fvck out of this series aaaaaaall summer long. Probably gonna rewatch the three Pretty Rhythms as well.

...God dammit.

Hooray for misunderstandings!
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Tue May 24, 2016 6:33 am

Hooray indeed. :lol:

Now, I have to finish three days of testing before I can indulge myself in PriPara. ;--;
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Just finished "Buddy Complex".

I liked it but it definitely had some pacing problems which resulted in quite a few things ending up feeling a bit rushed. The whole time-traveling shenanigans sure didn't help either in how convoluted it got. I feel like it would have benefited if it was a full 2-cour show instead of just a 1-cour with 2 additional episodes (15 episodes total) so that the events, characters, and the technology could have gotten fleshed out or developed more.

Regardless, what we did get was still an enjoyable enough watch overall, for me anyway.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue May 31, 2016 8:14 am

Watched ep 98 of PriPara (latest ep) and
Spoiler:
well then. It seems we might just have our very first actual "villain" on the show. every other antagonist was either really mistaken on something (Principal), misguided (hibiki) or just being a little mischievous, but not out to really harm anyone (Aromagedon). Or, of course, Rivals (Dressing Parfait). And then there was Faruru. I'm not sure how to categorize her, but she wasn't anything I'd consider a "villain" exactly. But now we have Non. She literally just wants to crush her older sister. That's it. She wants to make her older sister cry pretty much. She really turned out to be surprisingly devious. The entire time she was trying to help her sister get big...just so she could surpass her and be better than her older sister in everything.

Though, I have to wonder about her "friend" situation. Laala's definitely pretty amazing at being an idol, but I think her ability to make friends is what really stands her out from everyone else. Could it just be that Non is jealous that her sister makes friends so easily? I wonder...

Glad that the system didn't give every co-ord to non. That would have been really...ugh. If her holograms got their own dress. Well, now the question is: who will be the owners of the last two co-ords?
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Redhorse
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Redhorse » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:58 am

I'm being forced to watch Future Diary through to the end o:

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:44 am

Redhorse wrote:I'm being forced to watch Future Diary through to the end o:

It get's pretty bad by the end lol

Bungou Stray Dogs
Space Patroler (or something) Luluco
Kiznaiver
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
And you thought there was never a girl online?
Mayoiga
Big Order

All are pretty great (Mayoiga and Big Order aside), will probably finish them. I'm more impressed with Luluco since I don't usually watch shorts but this one is great.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:55 am

Finished watching:

"Mobile Shoot Gundam: Char's Counterattack" -------------------------

I've seen many iterations of this, mostly from the various "Super Robot Taisen" games that adapted the story and characters, so it was interesting to see the original. Also helped that I actually watched the three preceding series (the original "Gundam", "Zeta Gundam", and "Gundam ZZ") in their entirety before jumping into this so I got to see how all of the characters grew and ended up where they did for this ultimate climax of sorts of the UC Timeline.

But like with the preceding series, I still had issues with some of the characters. Some of them really acted stupidly and were just annoying in general, worse yet here since it all had to be compressed into a 2-hour movie. Like I now understand why so many people don't like Hathaway for example. I don't know if it's because they were just badly written or they were done like this on purpose for some sort "aspect of war" thing but it really dragged the experience down a bit with how in the way they got.

Regardless, I still enjoyed watching it regardless. Wasn't as epic as I was expecting but still solid nonetheless.

Now then, I have to wonder what else to watch out of the UC timeline. Outside of the ones I already mentioned, I've also seen "Gundam X" and "Gundam Unicorn". Maybe I'll give "08th MS Team" a shot.

"Black Rock Shooter" (Both the TV and OVA versions) ---------------------------

I gotta say, I was really disappointed with this. I won't say they were bad, but damn I really want to.

For the most part, the Black Rock Shooter scenes were great. The lack of dialogue, for the most part, coupled with the backgrounds and aesthetic created this wondrous surreal feeling. Not to mention the action in general was pretty good. The OVA used more standard animation while the TV version used more CGI and both were great. If they were just this, I think I would have liked it a lot more...But it wasn't.

For some reason, all of that ended up being a flimsy background for a school girl story, mostly about friendship and hardships. The story itself wasn't even that good, at least I thought so anyway. Constant melodrama all around with some, frankly, terrible characters. And of course the vast majority of both versions just had to be about the real life school girl stuff. The OVA wasn't that bad since it was kept more simple but it was the TV version in particular that really dragged along and got ridiculous.

So yeah, the only parts I really even enjoyed were the Black Rock Shooter segments due to the action and creativity but even that ended up getting hampered in the TV version since the story ended up bleeding into even those parts after a point.
Spoiler:
Black Rock Shooter, the main character who this series is named after, even ended up as the villain...because of course.
The OVA at least was spared in that regard since they were mostly kept separate, to the point that you could just watch the Black Rock Shooter segments by themselves without missing out on much of anything story-wise.

-sigh- It really feels to me like the writers had their own ideals for a story but slapped on the "Black Rock Shooter" namesake due to the, then, explosive popularity of it. As mean as it sounds, I do feel like this was a waste of an IP. No wonder it was so short lived. Well, I guess there's always the story of the game version which, while still a bit of a mess, I found to be better than this.

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Finished watching World Conquest Zvezda Plot. It was alright. I liked the character designs, but everything else was pretty average.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby XCronoX » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Still watching Dragonball Super, The Future Trunks arc started today and started with a bang.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:14 am

So I just finished watching basically all of "Monogatari". All that's left is "Kizumonogatari" but that's a movie trilogy which currently is incomplete so I'm waiting for the other two parts to release before touching it.

As for the series itself, it certainly was something. All I can really say is that I didn't get it...at all. Could have been worse I suppose.

Well, that and the fact that I'm now very wary, outright worried even, of SHAFT's upcoming anime adaptation of "Fate/Extra" for next year.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:01 am

The Monogatari series was based on different source material. Fate/Extra shouldn't be made in nearly the same way.

Except for the head tilts. There will definitely be head tilts.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby redsilversnake » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:55 am

Rednal wrote:The Monogatari series was based on different source material. Fate/Extra shouldn't be made in nearly the same way.

Except for the head tilts. There will definitely be head tilts.

Well, Akiyuki Shinbo is apparently their only director, so…
Also, FWIW, it's been made clear that Nasu himself will write for the series, and his comments indicate that he's gonna have a lot of freedom.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Watching Maria the Virgin Witch

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:45 pm

New Game!: Watched up to the latest episode and this is keeping my interest so far. Now let's see if it doesn't do something stupid in the last three or four episodes. :P

Osomatsu-san: Finally finished this and it's a damn good series. It fell apart a bit during the middle of the second half, but it picked up again in time for the end. The latter segment of Episode 24 was actually pretty heart-wrenching.

Spoiler:
It got me to cry a bit when it showed a picture of the late author on a picture frame just as Ichimatsu was leaving, stating that "this was how it should be." Real gutpunch there given that this is basically extended life for characters from a dead creator. :cry:
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Return to “General Anime Chat”