Kinda annoying issue with optional characters

Official Trinity Universe Discussion Forum
Tiredman
Geo Master
Geo Master

Kinda annoying issue with optional characters

Postby Tiredman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:20 am

This isn't a bug, but was apparently a design choice. I have noticed that after you get the optional characters, all the scenes where they talk have them agreeing with somebody, and never offering input. Also, none of the main characters mention them, even when it seems like the optional characters are talking to them. It just really bugs me how the optional characters were added to scenes in an "after a scene was already done" fashion, and nothing extra was added to make them feel natural in the scene. Even when main characters start listing the names of the other people, the optional characters never get mentioned, even though they pop up in the middle of the talking to pipe up with something or another to remind the player they are still around.

Just felt the urge to post this as it is pretty much the only thing I don't like about TU, well, other than the fact that I have no clue where tons of items are that I would like to get to make some stuff, so am stuck just grinding stuff for days at a time hoping I find them by accident.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Kinda annoying issue with optional characters

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:23 am

At least they were included, many games of this ilk with optional party members seem to forget they exist after they join the party unless they have a character-specific quest or whatnot, and sometimes there are quite lengthy extra scenes between the optional characters, such as when Mizuki and Recit start copying Etna and Flonne by having an argument, despite Recit's best efforts not to get involved.
Having them chip into conversations is the easiest way to include them without having to rewrite entire scenes when they are not present and have them still make sense and flow properly.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Tiredman
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Tiredman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 am

I agree, it was still unnerving at times for me though, only reason I felt like mentioning it.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Well, we were forewarned about this.

It didn't bother me much though
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Tiredman
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Tiredman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 pm

I missed a forewarning =p No big deal, though, hopefully they don't do that in the future. Far as I am concerned, leave them out of the main story segments if they don't have an actual part in it.

AsukaNeumaki
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby AsukaNeumaki » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Well I remember a scene where it seems odd because someone said something I think Tsubaki. The Etna says "Shut up Jailbait" but if you have Miyu she I think insults Etna and then Etna says this which makes WAY more sense.
ImageImageImage

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Sometimes they do work with each other. I just saw Tsubaki say : "You're fine, Miyu. Take a breath and calm down."

There's been other instances as well. The Optional characters themselves tend to talk with each other a bunch too.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Rihawf
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Rihawf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Well, it seems like two groups, The main characters, and the optional. They interact very little with each other. But between them, things work out, that's how I see.
But I'd like more comments from main characters to the optional ones...sometimes it looks as they are ''excluding'' the optional ones, ignoring them. It's kinda sad. >_>
Spoiler:

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 pm

To be honest, I barely noticed any disconnects really, as they seemed to be slotted in fairly naturally, which is significant considering how often games just like to ignore optional character's existence after joining.
The extra banter is good, and the direct comments are even better~

Tiredman
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Tiredman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:50 am

This is my big issue with it.....

You will see the main characters talking, then one of the females will pop up and say something cool, and one of the optional characters will pop up and say "You go girl!!!"...this is a fake example btw.....then the main characters will say "lets go kill those monsters <main character name>, <main character name>, and so on, but they won't even mention the optional characters. The optional characters may sound like they belong there, but even when a roll call is said by a main character, they never mention the optional characters. If that happens 2 or 3 times, no big deal, but after you get an optional character, it is happening in pretty much every story scene. Too many times a optional character will even make fun of the male character along with one of the other female characters, then the male character will get all mad at the female main character, and there is no hint of the optional character.

The game is just littered with stuff like that, and I noticed it all the time. It caused me to get a serious disconnect with the story as the optional characters not being acknowledged by the main characters even when they were a part of the story segment, just screwed up a scene for me. The optional characters don't get a real part in the game till the endings, and that is because the endings are customized depending on which optional characters you get.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:40 am

Well there's a precise problem, with so many scenes where you've noticed such oddities, each one would need to be re-written and often re-voiced for each situation, which is simply not feasible considering how much work (and money) is involved, not to mention if the game already isn't geared up very well to edit such things in.
As I said, still better than the alternative of them never getting mentioned or ever saying anything once they join the party, which is common in games such as this.

Rihawf
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Rihawf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:00 pm

They could focus one scene with one or two optional characters, so there wouldn't be many rewriting of scenes.
Spoiler:

Tiredman
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Tiredman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Or just dont add the optional characters to scenes that were not written for them.

Rihawf
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Rihawf » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 pm

That's how Hyperdimension Neptunia handled 'em. And added some scenes involving main and optional characters. That would make things easier
But...yeah, it's better like this.
Spoiler:

Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby Selphares » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Hmm I maybe disliked in Neptunia that the last 2 optional charakters somehow only chatted with Iffy it felt a bit strange, some scenes with the other ones would have been nice.

Return to “Trinity Universe”