Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Leon Tekashi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

Postby Leon Tekashi » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm

It's just trophy stuff sadly. You don't receive anything else but your satisfaction of being able to help Noire out as her secretary. lol
Spoiler:

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:10 pm

I have to agree with Seventh there. This is less arrogance and more gullibility and mercy. Arrogance is believing that you're more important than others. Wanting to end things peacefully isn't arrogance or even the opposite of it.
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Galblade
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Galblade » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:10 pm

I thought the requests added some stuff to one of the endings? Could be thinking of another game though...

Leon Tekashi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Leon Tekashi » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Then perhaps I'm mixing up gullibility with arrogance. Damn vocabulary!
Spoiler:

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 pm

I am not rly sure (havent touched the game for quite some time) but didnt she say something about arrogance herself?
even if we prove the meaning wrong after nitpicking a bit...
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

Galblade
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Galblade » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:18 pm

I'm also not finding the game short. Though that is because I'm doing every side quest and simulation of main quests before moving on. I'm just a completionist like that

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Galblade wrote:I'm also not finding the game short. Though that is because I'm doing every side quest and simulation of main quests before moving on. I'm just a completionist like that
I mean in terms of story content. A whole chapter's worth of cutscenes sometimes is shorter than one or two of RB1's, at least based on where I was. It needed more meat for the meal it was trying to serve.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Seventh wrote:Really the game's biggest problem is it's trying to be a big story but it's way too short for what it's trying to do,...

The exact same can be said about the other games but no one, comparatively, is complaining about those. Heck, even the scope can be considered on a smaller scale here as well.

Also, how do you know that? Where is your basis to make such a claim? How do you know exactly the lengths the story is trying to achieve? Have you spoken to the developers? Cause I haven't and I'd really like to know their thoughts and aspirations for the game.

...especially with, regardless of importance, how much unnecessary time is spent on the Secretary that could be on the plot/new characters/etc.

Please pick out which scenes with the Secretary were unnecessary then. Then please point out which scenes with the new characters, and the such, were necessary. Also, even if the Secretary didn't exist, how would you know how much different the treatment for the other characters would be?

If you disliked the character and wanted other characters to have more screen time and interaction, fine. But don't go acting like the Secretary just existing is an objective black mark on the game when it's not. At best, you have an argument of preference, nothing more.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:36 pm

No one is talking about other games because this is not a thread for other games. If you think "it tried to do a lot in too small a package" is a criticism unique to this game, look around some.

Also, if the game was of the length of a main game, I think a lot of its problems would go away, even if it kept the Secretary. Just having that much more room for development and the ability to spread things out more would do wonders for it.

As it is, you have two plots, the main one and the romance one, that didn't seem like they were getting enough time in the main game to properly convey what they were trying to convey in each chapter. Instead, they're competing in the limited space that the few cutscenes per chapter offer them, which isn't good. Sim Noire helps one out, but the other doesn't have an equivalent to flesh it out.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:08 am

Seventh wrote:No one is talking about other games because this is not a thread for other games. If you think "it tried to do a lot in too small a package" is a criticism unique to this game, look around some.

Which is something I never stated and also don't actually think.

Also, if the game was of the length of a main game, I think a lot of its problems would go away, even if it kept the Secretary. Just having that much more room for development and the ability to spread things out more would do wonders for it.

As it is, you have two plots, the main one and the romance one, that didn't seem like they were getting enough time in the main game to properly convey what they were trying to convey in each chapter. Instead, they're competing in the limited space that the few cutscenes per chapter offer them, which isn't good. Sim Noire helps one out, but the other doesn't have an equivalent to flesh it out.

Then it's not a problem with the Secretary himself but more that you think that certain aspects could have been fleshed out more, if I'm understanding what you are saying correctly.

But why is it just the Secretary that's the problem? Outside of just existing to act as yet another reference/parody, many of the other characters don't really serve much of a purpose either. Sometimes even less so than the Secretary himself in regards to the plot. They could have reduced the amount of characters by half, or even less than that, to make the overall cast less bloated and leave enough room to flesh out everything remaining more efficiently.

So my question is this, in spite of that, why is there so much hate sorely on the Secretary? Why is that every other character gets a free pass when this one character doesn't? Is it cause he's not playable character? Doesn't have a face/portrait? isn't female? What is it about this one character that causes everyone to go nuts and want to hate the game as a whole?

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby xnobody13 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:47 am

I never personally hated the secretary character. I felt he could've been a little more than what he was, but that's about it. I do wish he was Kei Jinguji, and we had a bonding storyline between her and Noire, but that's just me.
Spoiler:

Leon Tekashi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Leon Tekashi » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:36 am

@Shadow: Simple reason.

"Get your hands off my waifu, you damn SI!" :P
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:10 am

shadowmaksim wrote:Which is something I never stated and also don't actually think.
shadowmaksim wrote:The exact same can be said about the other games but no one, comparatively, is complaining about those. Heck, even the scope can be considered on a smaller scale here as well.

shadowmaksim wrote:But why is it just the Secretary that's the problem?
You're the one making this about him to this extent. My comment can essentially be boiled down to how there's not enough screentime for both and they spent more of it on what is ultimately the superfluous subplot than the main one at times, or let the other intrude too often into it but not the other way around.

I don't disagree that they may have bitten off more than they could chew here, but that was also the exact point I was trying to make. That said, when people talk about character screentime, to be fair, they're not thinking about it enough from the gameplay perspective - even the characters that only had a couple of minutes still then become playable. It's an SRPG, and you need a bigger roster for those. Disgaea's even done that at times.

I have my share of thoughts/opinions on it beyond that, but those aren't really relevant to giving actual criticism of how the game played out (based on what I saw). In all honesty, while the Sim Noire segments didn't exactly offer a lot of "new" things, they didn't really bother me (yet) and were even entertaining - often much more so than having to watch the two plots claw at each other for dominance during the normal segments of the game.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:30 am

shadowmaksim wrote:why is there so much hate sorely on the Secretary?

he's an SI.

shadowmaksim wrote: Why is that every other character gets a free pass when this one character doesn't?

They're not SIs

shadowmaksim wrote: Doesn't have a face/portrait?

Part of the SI thing

shadowmaksim wrote:What is it about this one character that causes everyone to go nuts and want to hate the game as a whole?

Male SI. It's similar to having a male SI be popped into a Kiniro Mosiac game (I use Kiniro and not Yuru Yuri, because Kiniro is still able to have some semblance of an argument that (outside the Ayaya) characters are not gay for each other. while Yuru Yuri it's just flat out yuri). It's bound to cause issues. course, the smart ones would just not play it knowing that. but curiosity is a horridly dreadful thing that destroys the wise and foolish alike.

I realize that PP already did this (though NISA tried to undo it to a point by having the gender ambiguous), but that also got lambasted fairly hard. Not as hard as this, possibly, because in PP it was more centered around the SI and one goddess. But in Hyperdevotion, they brought in a ton of (potentially) interesting characters. So the fire would of course go towards the male SI. It's really only expected.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:41 am

Galblade wrote:I thought the requests added some stuff to one of the endings? Could be thinking of another game though...

Answering them all with the answers Noire wants to hear is part of getting an extra scene and CG after the credits, yeah.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”