Cho Jigen Game Neptune The Animation (TV Anime, 12th July)

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Cho Jigen Game Neptune The Animation (TV Anime, 12th Jul

Postby vertical09 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:50 pm

vampko wrote:I honestly don't see how the anime isn't being original. It's taken the plots of the games and completely reworked them into a much better product. I can see there are those who don't like this, but the majority of people who are saying that didn't like the games. So their opinions are sorta moot. The anime was made for fans of the games. Sure it's great if it brings in new fans, but the focus is on people who already enjoyed the games.

And i'd say it's handling that quite well.

I would like to see more Linda, but it was inevitable we would get to the victory path. I'm just glad everyone wasn't separated like in Victory.

Pretty much this. If you didn't like the game, chances are you won't like the anime either since it's literally littered with fanservice from all 3 games.

In an attempt to get us slightly back on topic:
Spoiler:
I wonder if Plutia will be able to to activate HDD (assuming that she traveled through the V dimension), I mean, it does kinda seem like the anime is doing Victory in reverse, so it would make sense.

Nepdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Nepdood » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:06 pm

vertical09 wrote:In an attempt to get us slightly back on topic:
Spoiler:
I wonder if Plutia will be able to to activate HDD (assuming that she traveled through the V dimension), I mean, it does kinda seem like the anime is doing Victory in reverse, so it would make sense.

Spoiler:
It does make sense. Perhaps Plutia can transform without a crystal needed.

3DS, XBL, PSN, Steam: Mekgolo
Try out my game: Super Space Armada

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Probably, yes. ^^ And I'm rather looking forward to that...
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:08 pm

They discovered the mystery cosplay. It was Chihaya from Idolmaster, another Asami Imai character.

Pretty tricky, since I'm not even sure that uniform is one of the ones available in the games. And since Chihaya doesn't play a guitar.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 pm

vertical09 wrote:If you didn't like the game, chances are you won't like the anime either since it's literally littered with fanservice from all 3 games.

Please refer to this.

I was in the failed muffin camp once. However, playing more and being here, I've learned that the developers were not going for a video game culture commentary; they were going for a cute girls doing cute things in a world that's tied to the video game culture by a string of rotten floss that a hobo's kept for twenty years. Now I'm in between the muffin and Hitler's corpse camps but I'm still within the failed divisions.

This isn't something I'd call my thing but it's still something I can get behind. More so than The Last of Us, I mean, and that fell into my succeeded Hitler corpse camp because I hate zombies with a passion but I will admit the writing is good.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Daverost wrote:They discovered the mystery cosplay. It was Chihaya from Idolmaster, another Asami Imai character.

Spoiler:

Pretty tricky, since I'm not even sure that uniform is one of the ones available in the games. And since Chihaya doesn't play a guitar.

It could be a double reference.

There was that entire Noire cosplaying as Azusa Nakano from the first game, she even had the guitar. And now there is this.

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Guys, the anime is in its own 'verse. As a result, if it can't appeal to newcomers, then there is probably something wrong. The call backs are bonuses for those already acquainted with the series, and for newcomers to see, experience the original versions (hopefully), then go 'oooh, so that's where that's from.'

@Pore

In fairness, the Sages worked over the CPUs for about 10 years with the YH-childrenmons combo, Mr.Badd's plan was only foiled through a variable he couldn't know about, and Anonydeath trolls the girls like hell. If you mean winning actual fights, sure, I got no argument, but for winning in general, I think the Sages did pretty well for themselves.

Neptunia can/could be (and kinda already is) an action-comedy. As for slice-of-life in the vein of introducing aspects of Gamindustri... it currently lacks that, really. That said, incidentally, I gotta be a fanboi again and point out that Slayers basically does exactly this (ie action-comedy with slice of life in vein of introducing aspects of world), and its episode count in its seasons helps with that. Disgaea does it too, in its games. Possibly even the anime, which didn't try to adapt a gazillion plotlines into 12 eps, if nothing else. And both better than Neptunia, I'd say (well... maybe not Disgaea's anime. I'unno on that 'un. Partly 'cause it's been a while since I watched it). They handle drama better, too.

Long story short, I agree that the Nep anime is being a bit too ambitious with its ep count. Like I said, prolly woulda been better if they only adapted one plotline...

Yeah, her. Fem!BillGates.

...And be fair, dude. V at least adapted the progression of the console wars fairly well. I mean, sure, Planeptune is around longer than it should be (not to mention the FB from a certain dead nation), but otherwise... but besides that, it tends to be tangential to too unspecific, yeah. But then, I'unno how much stuff is lying around that can be adapted in a specific fashion... or at least adapted in a specific fashion and gotten away with. I mean, sure, being more specific would be nice, but tangential/general ain't exactly the most horrible thing EVAH either, and at least allows for more freedom in doing stuff and not being overly-predictable. On a related note, c'mon, was the FB twist in V good stuff or what? They couldn't have done that if they were being uber-faithful and specific to the industry.

--------------

...Also, now that I think of it... I think the way the anime adapted the mk2 arc put a rather original spin on it. I mean, sure, it was rushed and the drama wasn't handled terribly great, but that's not my point. There are some similarities, yeah, but I think it can reasonably be called original as well, what with the Anti-Crystals and general lack of the Felons at the least. And the V arc they're going into looks to be completely inversed, for starters, and... well, I can't say I'm sure what Anny's planning exactly, but since he apparently already knows P-ko... that's already a deviation (...maybe?), even if his intro was lifted from V. Sure, there are plenty of nods to the games in all that's happened (...maybe too many... at least for Pore... which can probably be blamed on adapting too many things in too short a timespan), but still.
Last edited by Zdood on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Zdood wrote:Guys, the anime is in its own 'verse. As a result, if it can't appeal to newcomers, then there is probably something wrong. The call backs are bonuses for those already acquainted with the series, and for newcomers to see, experience the original versions (hopefully), then go 'oooh, so that's where that's from.'

This.
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Zdood wrote:Guys, the anime is in its own 'verse. As a result, if it can't appeal to newcomers, then there is probably something wrong.

I really disagree. And it has appealed to newcomers. I've seen quite a few on MAL who decided to try out the games because of this. I'm just saying it was made for fans of the games. Heck, it was made by a fan of the games.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:50 pm

vampko wrote:
Zdood wrote:Guys, the anime is in its own 'verse. As a result, if it can't appeal to newcomers, then there is probably something wrong.

I really disagree. And it has appealed to newcomers. I've seen quite a few on MAL who decided to try out the games because of this. I'm just saying it was made for fans of the games. Heck, it was made by a fan of the games.

...If it has appealed to newcomers, then what are you disagreeing with, exactly? I was responding to previous posts that, as Pore bluntly put it, sounded kinda elitist, with that. At the least, even if the anime was made for the fans/veterans, the makers at least knew to not alienate the newbies as well it would seem, avoiding Continuity Lockout issues and such and attracting newbies like you said.
Yeah, like that.

vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vertical09 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Spoilered for slight off-topicness:
Spoiler:
Well yeah, I'm sure they didn't try to alienate the newbies from the anime.
But at the same time, they aren't exactly doing a terrific job at making them feel welcome.

Buuuut, I'm not in their shoes since I actually played the games. So in a way, I'm just talking out of my ass =P For all I know, they could love it.

TaranTatsuuchi
Majin
Majin

Postby TaranTatsuuchi » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Nerroth wrote:Hmm. On second listening,
Spoiler:
I think you are right. He even says "Rei no ko"...

I still don't think it's the Rei who appeared in episode 1, though.

Actually, I do believe that statement would be translated as 'Person of interest'.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Zdood wrote:...And be fair, dude. V at least adapted the progression of the console wars fairly well. I mean, sure, Planeptune is around longer than it should be (not to mention the FB from a certain dead nation), but otherwise... but besides that, it tends to be tangential to too unspecific, yeah. But then, I'unno how much stuff is lying around that can be adapted in a specific fashion... or at least adapted in a specific fashion and gotten away with. I mean, sure, being more specific would be nice, but tangential/general ain't exactly the most horrible thing EVAH either, and at least allows for more freedom in doing stuff and not being overly-predictable. On a related note, c'mon, was the FB twist in V good stuff or what? They couldn't have done that if they were being uber-faithful and specific to the industry.

Wasn't the final boss twist good BECAUSE it was uber-faithful to the industry?
Spoiler:
It was a dead nation for a reason, you know.

By the way, I've thought of another plot as Z challenged not long ago. I got inspiration from Arfoire's quote that I got from TV Tropes about letting everyone master their own destiny if the CPUs go and everyone else just brushes that away and says she's just jealous because she doesn't have HDD (putting that horrendously childish remark aside, what's there to be jealous of? Okay, they can fly but jetpacks, by all rights, should exist in a setting like that).

What if Arfoire and Anonydeath team up? They go around finding people and they even convince Nepgear and possibly the other candidates to participate in a little experiment to see if they can identify that necessary ingredient for a CPU Core to turn someone into a CPU. Once they find that, they proceed to make it common knowledge and freely distribute it to everyone. CPU Pandemonium!

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:26 am

@Pore

Well, sure the nation was dead, but its CPU was still around. Depending on how you'd qualify the accuracy of the deadness, either the nation being gone is enough to be accurate or both the nation and CPU should be gone for it to be accurate. Either way, I'm pretty sure the RL version of the nation and CPU hasn't made a bid to get back into the console market and challenge the bigwigs anytime recently... but then, maybe that's getting too specific.

Anyways... *cough*Syndrome*cough*. Also, I'm pretty sure some kind of balance would be thrown outta whack or something (not to mention a pretty decent amount of people wouldn't exactly use their newfound power benevolently...). Regardless, would make for an interesting plot. That 'just jealous' thing... yeeeah, that could've been done better (seriously...), and this would be one way for that to happen. I mean, sure, we all know Arfy is evil, and if the CPUs were gone she'd just take the chance to take over/destroy the world, but still, that was... weak (especially since I feel like Leanbox and Planeptune might well largely govern themselves anyway, since their CPUs are the lazier ones; all the CPUs protect their nations from monsters and such, but with Vert and Nep, they probably don't do the other CPU things they should probably do a lot of the time...). This can prolly be blamed on rushedness, too, most likely...

Anyways, natural flight > artifical flight; there's just something magical about being able to do it naturally, you know? In addition, the degree of power-up granted by HDD is much clearer in the anime (though personally, that won't stop me from allowing humans to match the power it has in fanfic... there ain't gonna be no Super Saiyans sidelining the humans, not on my watch... not to mention that in fantasy worlds like this, humans always seem to surpass the gods eventually anyway, like in every RPG ever...).

...Huh. I just realized when thinking about HDD fighting power... when the monsters in the anime Zerg Rush the heroes, it actually works until someone activates HDD (see: massive robot army vs. Candidates, Iffy, and Compa). Conservation Of Ninjutsu is averted. :shock:
Yeah, like that.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:10 am

Zdood wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, sure the nation was dead, but its CPU was still around. Depending on how you'd qualify the accuracy of the deadness, either the nation being gone is enough to be accurate or both the nation and CPU should be gone for it to be accurate. Either way, I'm pretty sure the RL version of the nation and CPU hasn't made a bid to get back into the console market and challenge the bigwigs anytime recently... but then, maybe that's getting too specific.

Anyways... *cough*Syndrome*cough*. Also, I'm pretty sure some kind of balance would be thrown outta whack or something (not to mention a pretty decent amount of people wouldn't exactly use their newfound power benevolently...). Regardless, would make for an interesting plot. That 'just jealous' thing... yeeeah, that could've been done better (seriously...), and this would be one way for that to happen. I mean, sure, we all know Arfy is evil, and if the CPUs were gone she'd just take the chance to take over/destroy the world, but still, that was... weak (especially since I feel like Leanbox and Planeptune might well largely govern themselves anyway, since their CPUs are the lazier ones; all the CPUs protect their nations from monsters and such, but with Vert and Nep, they probably don't do the other CPU things they should probably do a lot of the time...). This can prolly be blamed on rushedness, too, most likely...

Anyways, natural flight > artifical flight; there's just something magical about being able to do it naturally, you know? In addition, the degree of power-up granted by HDD is much clearer in the anime (though personally, that won't stop me from allowing humans to match the power it has in fanfic... there ain't gonna be no Super Saiyans sidelining the humans, not on my watch... not to mention that in fantasy worlds like this, humans always seem to surpass the gods eventually anyway, like in every RPG ever...).

...Huh. I just realized when thinking about HDD fighting power... when the monsters in the anime Zerg Rush the heroes, it actually works until someone activates HDD (see: massive robot army vs. Candidates, Iffy, and Compa). Conservation Of Ninjutsu is averted. :shock:

Well, having human anthromorphs makes the thing not entirely faithful by necessity. Some liberty is allowed. That said, I do prefer it to be CLOSE.

Oh, haw hee haw hee haw. -_- Anyways, that jealousy thing is the kind of childish back and forth that I'd expect from Neptune and Feit.

Spoiler:
Purple Heart: *after Feit teleports her with his reality rending presence AGAIN* Stop that! You don't know how to fight fair!
Feit: You're just jealous!
Purple Heart: No I am not!
Feit: Yes you are!
Purple Heart: No I'm not!
Feit: You're totally jealous!
Purple Heart: I am not jealous! You suck!
Feit: You suck!
Purple Heart: You suck!
Feit: Yooooooooou!
Purple Heart: Yooooooooou!
*They blow raspberries at each other again and are competing to see who can make the longest raspberry. Again. Current reigning champion is Feit who has lasted 2 days, 21 hours, 44 minutes and 39 seconds. Histoire prefers to add the 78 milliseconds but no one cares.*
Noire: How does every single one of their battles dwindle down to this state time and time again?!
Korvis: *face palms* Good God...

About the overcoming gods thing, Neptunia... is not typical. No matter how much it plays itself up to be.

Spoiler:
Neptune: Alrighty, spice girls! There's a monster invasion afoot! As you all know, this means a boss monster is about! We need to beat it up and the monsters will vanish!
IF: ... Nep, bosses don't work like that.
Neptune: What?! Who told you such lies?!
Compa: Nep-Nep, bosses in JRPGs are problems because they're harassing people in some direct way, like blowing up a volcano or making a storm. It's rare for bosses to actually make monsters.
Neptune: LLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES! Bosses in JRPGs are 100% of the time the reason for monster attacks! Everyone knows that!
IF: ...
Compa: ...
Neptune: Now! This boss is hiding in a dungeon! As is always the case with every dungeon, it's unimportant and no one cares about it!
IF: But Nep, most dungeons are very important. They can be temples, recently overrun shelters, ruins of ancient technology, enemy bases—
Neptune: LLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES!

Spoiler:
Red: Hey, can you give me 20 Charisma? If I get 100, I'll get a nice bonus!
IF: ... This isn't a dating sim—
Red: LLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES!

Spoiler:
Neptune: We need to go beat up Avenir!
IF: … Are you going to assault them if I agree with you? We can't just assume a company's bad because they're successful.
Neptune: LLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES!
Compa: To be fair, she's actually correct that time.
IF: I know... I just wanted to break THAT convention for once.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”