Who thinks there should be male CPUs?

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Who thinks there should be male CPUs?

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:58 am

Draxzelex wrote:Its like the age old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix. In this context, if one has a formula of a girls only video game series that is working relatively well in accordance with one's expectations (and budget), then there is very little reason to try and expand or try something new that could make/break the franchise. Or it could be that some people are just simply too afraid to take risks.

Depends on what you mean by well. It's not necessarily fixing something to add more to it. Fixing is when something is broken after originally not being broke. So in this case, it's not about fixing, but adding on some more stuff to try and change it up and maybe draw in bigger crowds.
This is what Ben Carson will do to political correctness. I approve.

Emerald Emblem
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Emerald Emblem » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:07 am

I'm not sure what I think to the male CPU thing if I'm honest, I mean the Neptunia franchise has kept a firm course on the whole all female cast with yuri shipping hints and that in itself is fine and something I'm sure a large part of the fanbase find so endearing about it, I mean Tsunako shines when it comes to female characters. I think the one big taboo of making a male CPU would be if they try and ship one of the current CPU's with them, the fans of that goddess would not be happy and thus potentially damages the fanbase which would certainly be counter intuitive but at the same time you'd expect there to be some romance if you put a male among a bunch of attractive yet quirky females, otherwise you would question the purpose they serve being included at all. The only possible way I can see this happening is like in the spinoffs where the male is actually a representation of the player and even then you wonder how those who come for the yuri will take that.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:14 am

Emerald Emblem wrote:The only possible way I can see this happening is like in the spinoffs where the male is actually a representation of the player and even then you wonder how those who come for the yuri will take that.

Well, that's what pretty much happened with "PP" and "Hyperdevotion Noire". And just look at the outrage those games got, especially the latter in particular.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:18 am

Emerald Emblem wrote:... at the same time you'd expect there to be some romance if you put a male among a bunch of attractive yet quirky females, otherwise you would question the purpose they serve being included at all.

Can 'cosmetic contrast' be a purpose? Perhaps a male can be introduced for the sole purpose of making a contrast in the series and providing some more variety. I don't see a need for there to be romance. In fact, we can even play with that; if the male CPU is asked why he chooses to not flirt/pursue a romantic relationship with a CPU, he could flashback to a sequence in which he is warned by the True Goddess herself in a vision (voice acted by Tsunako, just for laugh out louds) that, if he tried any funny business with them, she'd draw him with a huge nose and fish lips.
Alternatively, he could be actively shipping the main cast and he has a tendency to say "All according to plan..." in a deep, ominous voice.

Personally, I feel that having a male CPU would conflict with the established lore and patterns of the series more than it should. However, I don't see why a male character can't be introduced into our ever growing band of misfits.

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:18 am

Emerald Emblem wrote:I'm not sure what I think to the male CPU thing if I'm honest, I mean the Neptunia franchise has kept a firm course on the whole all female cast with yuri shipping hints and that in itself is fine and something I'm sure a large part of the fanbase find so endearing about it, I mean Tsunako shines when it comes to female characters. I think the one big taboo of making a male CPU would be if they try and ship one of the current CPU's with them, the fans of that goddess would not be happy and thus potentially damages the fanbase which would certainly be counter intuitive but at the same time you'd expect there to be some romance if you put a male among a bunch of attractive yet quirky females, otherwise you would question the purpose they serve being included at all. The only possible way I can see this happening is like in the spinoffs where the male is actually a representation of the player and even then you wonder how those who come for the yuri will take that.

Also on an unrelated note, has the avatar limit been increased?

Ad I said previously damage is not all the same. Even losing one small side of what is called by even the yuri fans themselves as, super small, wouldn't kill the series budget. And adding in one male? What'd the point of that? Why not just add in more than one?

Only the most outlandish of delusional yuri fans would want to kill a series for not having nothing but yuri subtext when there are even people who ship the male villains with the girls as long as said males aren't even human in appearance, who happen to be the large majority of males with any decent presence outside of Re;Birth 1 and Hdn1.

It's not going to kill this series with the fact that they're as high ranked as they are now on places like Steam. They're not the shirt handed niche people claim it to be. It's a niche with a decent enough following to lose a supposedly small side to a supposedly small fanbase that supposedly has sensible people with reason and logic.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:08 am

I'm gonna say no. The entire premise of the series is that it's things personified as girls, with the only males that are exceptions to this being personifications of vague concepts rather than specific things. Even when we had Chirper characters who were male and parodying things, when the time came for an actual character, it was a girl (the MGS Chirper character to Lid for example).

We're talking well beyond romance/yuri/SI stuf here, and the focus it's getting here seems unnecessary (though somewhat telling) - the series' whole identity has thus far been built exclusively on this concept. It's what fans, haters, non-fans, and pretty much everyone knows it for. It's what it is. It doesn't matter whether or not that leads to such and such.

Also, perhaps more importantly, it's one of the only series with an exclusively female cast. Even amongst CH's works. That in itself, regardless of whether that's appealing because of yuri or whatever, is something that sets it apart and gives it a greater identity. Even Senran Kagura has prominent recurring male characters throughout, one even playable in SK2.

That said, I did quite enjoy all the guys in RB1, and the only villain I've ever disliked in this series was a woman, so I don't see what's wrong with getting our guys on through those means. Some of the best and most entertaining characters in the series are guys already - they shouldn't have to be playable or good for that to matter.

People, remember to separate the fanbase from CH. Every series will have fans of all kinds - telling a creator to do such and such based on the fact that certain fans act a certain way does not make sense. I'm not saying don't criticize them, but criticizing them based on the fanbase the games may or may not have does not make sense.

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:15 am

Seventh wrote:I'm gonna say no. The entire premise of the series is that it's things personified as girls, with the only males that are exceptions to this being personifications of vague concepts rather than specific things. Even when we had Chirper characters who were male and parodying things, when the time came for an actual character, it was a girl (the MGS Chirper character to Lid for example).

We're talking well beyond romance/yuri/SI stuf here, and the focus it's getting here seems unnecessary (though somewhat telling) - the series' whole identity has thus far been built exclusively on this concept. It's what fans, haters, non-fans, and pretty much everyone knows it for. It's what it is. It doesn't matter whether or not that leads to such and such.

Also, perhaps more importantly, it's one of the only series with an exclusively female cast. Even amongst CH's works. That in itself, regardless of whether that's appealing because of yuri or whatever, is something that sets it apart and gives it a greater identity. Even Senran Kagura has prominent recurring male characters throughout, one even playable in SK2.

That said, I did quite enjoy all the guys in RB1, and the only villain I've ever disliked in this series was a woman, so I don't see what's wrong with getting our guys on through those means. Some of the best and most entertaining characters in the series are guys already - they shouldn't have to be playable or good for that to matter.

People, remember to separate the fanbase from CH. Every series will have fans of all kinds - telling a creator to do such and such based on the fact that certain fans act a certain way does not make sense. I'm not saying don't criticize them, but criticizing them based on the fanbase the games may or may not have does not make sense.

A greater identity doesn't necessarily make it a better game let alone that identity is great by itself if it lacks certain execution. So even if it's one of the few, it's not necessarily one of the great.

And almost all of the guys who you might call great, are almost all villains or shit eating jerks at one point and typically end up dead or one some shit end of the spectrum even if with redeeming sides. So it's got plenty of that crap already. It's not going to disrespect a series to make them good guys who aren't under some underlying dark purpose or perversion. I fail to see why making them good guys means making them playable by default since that seems to be the issue. Senran Kagura didn't necessarily need to make their teacher a player character to be a good guy.

All in all, a lot of issue lies with trying to say that one supposedly small side of one side of an already supposedly small fanbase would kill the companies ability to make more games as some have so eagerly spoken before on topics like this. That's a mostly fact less excuse to side step the discussion.

Emerald Emblem
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Emerald Emblem » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:58 am

DragonKingKaiser wrote:
Emerald Emblem wrote:I'm not sure what I think to the male CPU thing if I'm honest, I mean the Neptunia franchise has kept a firm course on the whole all female cast with yuri shipping hints and that in itself is fine and something I'm sure a large part of the fanbase find so endearing about it, I mean Tsunako shines when it comes to female characters. I think the one big taboo of making a male CPU would be if they try and ship one of the current CPU's with them, the fans of that goddess would not be happy and thus potentially damages the fanbase which would certainly be counter intuitive but at the same time you'd expect there to be some romance if you put a male among a bunch of attractive yet quirky females, otherwise you would question the purpose they serve being included at all. The only possible way I can see this happening is like in the spinoffs where the male is actually a representation of the player and even then you wonder how those who come for the yuri will take that.

Ad I said previously damage is not all the same. Even losing one small side of what is called by even the yuri fans themselves as, super small, wouldn't kill the series budget. And adding in one male? What'd the point of that? Why not just add in more than one?

Only the most outlandish of delusional yuri fans would want to kill a series for not having nothing but yuri subtext when there are even people who ship the male villains with the girls as long as said males aren't even human in appearance, who happen to be the large majority of males with any decent presence outside of Re;Birth 1 and Hdn1.

It's not going to kill this series with the fact that they're as high ranked as they are now on places like Steam. They're not the shirt handed niche people claim it to be. It's a niche with a decent enough following to lose a supposedly small side to a supposedly small fanbase that supposedly has sensible people with reason and logic.

I notice in your arguement you seem to think I said it'd kill the franchise, not exactly what I was saying. Although you make a good point that I was only seeing one male CPU rather than more than one, but that was only because most of the current consoles have representatives already, only Steam doesn't have one unless you package that with Peashy (though there is going to be a steam console this year).

Draco Ruse
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Draco Ruse » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:09 am

I want to say that having a male CPU may seems weird at this point because of the many things mentioned above. But i don't think it's impossible.

But what i want to say is neptunia doesn't rely on all female cast and yuri. It has potential to be a great jrpg even without all female cast. Neptunia true worth (at least to me) is the story, which is more than representing game industry history and referencing to real life event.

And emerald emblem, there oculus and ouya which could be classified as a console.

Aushria
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aushria » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:02 pm

A handful of Japanese fans would likely revolt. That is all that has ever been required of anyone to say in this thread. The story is not tailored for it and they'd have to rework a good majority of the core story-telling method to even accommodate it. Simply put, it's not even feasible to think of, Compile Heart wouldn't make the jump and we know darn well that fans would never be fully receptive of a change like that.

Draco Ruse wrote:eptunia true worth (at least to me) is the story,

I won't even get in to discussing comments like this, but I will say that there are far better stories than Neptune's that you can find in any form of entertainment medium, including video games.

Draco Ruse wrote:there oculus and ouya which could be classified as a console.

OUYA was dead on arrival, they've actually made a jab at it before. Oculus VR is aand always has been a development kit for other VR to base their tech on. The actual models; which you can find at Best Buy under the name 'Gear VR', are hooked up to and marketed for Smart Phones.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Aushria wrote:A handful of Japanese fans would likely revolt. That is all that has ever been required of anyone to say in this thread. The story is not tailored for it and they'd have to rework a good majority of the core story-telling method to even accommodate it. Simply put, it's not even feasible to think of, Compile Heart wouldn't make the jump and we know darn well that fans would never be fully receptive of a change like that.

Would you be willing to explain why the story is not tailored for male CPUs at all? Cause from my perspective...it's never been tailored to be gender exclusive in the first place.

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby xnobody13 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:33 pm

I have no idea why I'm posting again, but screw it.

If there ever was a chance for a male CPU to be added to the series, I can only envision them representing consoles that never were, specifically those that aren't affiliated with any major company, such as the Indrema L600 or The Phantom. As they were never truly created (and were possibly scams depending on the system), one could view them as males that possible obtained the power of a CPU, but they fail to possess the ability to actually control it. As the Female CPU's are successful, then the males are the opposite.

Would they be villains, then? I would assume so. As they want to be as powerful as the Goddesses, possibly in an attempt to solidify the fact that they exist (like these failed consoles wanted to accomplish), they will do whatever it takes to either kill them, or use their power to further their own. They would be extremely powerful, but their bodies and minds would certainly rot.

Personally, though, I want the series to stay as it is; it's not a perfect franchise, mind you, but it works in some regards.
Spoiler:

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Emerald Emblem wrote:
DragonKingKaiser wrote:

I notice in your arguement you seem to think I said it'd kill the franchise, not exactly what I was saying. Although you make a good point that I was only seeing one male CPU rather than more than one, but that was only because most of the current consoles have representatives already, only Steam doesn't have one unless you package that with Peashy (though there is going to be a steam console this year).

I was saying it's popular enough, if Steam rankings are to go buy, that they can take such a minor hit.

xnobody13 wrote:I have no idea why I'm posting again, but screw it.

If there ever was a chance for a male CPU to be added to the series, I can only envision them representing consoles that never were, specifically those that aren't affiliated with any major company, such as the Indrema L600 or The Phantom. As they were never truly created (and were possibly scams depending on the system), one could view them as males that possible obtained the power of a CPU, but they fail to possess the ability to actually control it. As the Female CPU's are successful, then the males are the opposite.

Would they be villains, then? I would assume so. As they want to be as powerful as the Goddesses, possibly in an attempt to solidify the fact that they exist (like these failed consoles wanted to accomplish), they will do whatever it takes to either kill them, or use their power to further their own. They would be extremely powerful, but their bodies and minds would certainly rot.

Personally, though, I want the series to stay as it is; it's not a perfect franchise, mind you, but it works in some regards.

Why does it HAVE to be evil because of that? Wanting to be as strong as your counterpart doesn't mean doing such fucked up things bruh.

Even Vegeta was similar but didn't stay a villain let alone be a minor character afterwards. Couldn't be a Super Saiyan? He sure as hell didn't try to kill anyone in the meantime.

Aushria
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aushria » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:24 pm

shadowmaksim wrote:
Aushria wrote:A handful of Japanese fans would likely revolt. That is all that has ever been required of anyone to say in this thread. The story is not tailored for it and they'd have to rework a good majority of the core story-telling method to even accommodate it. Simply put, it's not even feasible to think of, Compile Heart wouldn't make the jump and we know darn well that fans would never be fully receptive of a change like that.

Would you be willing to explain why the story is not tailored for male CPUs at all? Cause from my perspective...it's never been tailored to be gender exclusive in the first place.

*Clears throat* It has been stated a multitude of times; by Mizuno and Compile Heart both, that the basis of every story for Neptunia is—
"Cute girls doing Cute things."

Game. Set. Match.

The formula, the basis and the very whole of Neptune's story telling is about girls being girls while being the deities/heroes. Unless we get a trap or an overtly flamboyant homosexual male character; as Japan loves those stereotypes, you would be hard-pressed to shoe-horn male CPUs into the picture unless you toss aside the entire premise of which the story itself is based upon.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Aushria wrote:*Clears throat* It has been stated a multitude of times; by Mizuno and Compile Heart both, that the basis of every story for Neptunia is—
"Cute girls doing Cute things."

Game. Set. Match.

The formula, the basis and the very whole of Neptune's story telling is about girls being girls while being the heroes. Unless we get a trap or an overtly flamboyant homosexual male character, you would be hard-pressed to shoe-horn male CPUs into the picture unless you toss aside the entire premise of which the story itself is based upon.

Ah, okay. Thanks for sharing your reasoning. Though I still don't quite agree that it's impossible but I understand where you are coming from.

Also, I was just asking a question out of curiosity, not trying to turn this into a match. Please tone down the arrogance a tad if you don't mind.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”