Continuity Help

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
BMSviasol
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Continuity Help

Postby BMSviasol » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 am

So, I'm currently flabbergasted as to how many Neptunia continuities and dimensions there are in this series. Having only completed Victory, I could use some guidence as to which games are part of which continuity. So, from what I understand,
  • there's the original HDN that started it all,
  • then came a continuity reboot, MK2,
  • and there's a sequel to that reboot, Victory (V for short).
  • Now, the latest sequel, VII, is in development.

All of which are for the PS3, I believe. Now, in addition to the main timeline, there's a so-called "Re;birth" version of each, meant to be remakes of the first three games, available on the PS Vita.

Then, there are three spin-offs of this series, which are:
  • an idol raising sim, Producing Perfection,
  • a hack and slash, Chou-somethin' Neptunia U,
  • and a... What's it called, an SRPG? It's the one featuring Noire/Black Heart, right?
All of those are for the Vita too, I think. Is all this correct? Please let me know so I don't look like a complete ditz in the future. :)
Last edited by BMSviasol on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just BMS and/or viasol (vI•uh•SOUL) is fine, thanks.

I may or may not stream at any day, at any time. Twitch.tv/bmsviasol

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Continuity Help

Postby Porecomesis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:37 am

That's about right. The spin-offs are all in their own dimensions but I don't know for sure whether or not VII is a true sequel.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Continuity Help

Postby Seventh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 am

You've basically got it right. To summarize it:

- HDN: Essentially standalone at this point.
- MK2/V: The current "main" continuity, but the games can be played on their own as well. VII is probably going to follow that trend based on what we know.
- VII: They've been vague about it, but based on what they've said, I believe it's the same "it's a sequel but can be played as a stand alone game" deal.
- Re;Birth 1: A complete remake of HDN; the story, while similar to HDN's, is new and features characters from V, though no knowledge of V is required to play. A connection to the main series could be possible based on that, but until it's brought up in the main series, it's not something to get to concerned about. If it IS connected, though, it would take place after V.
- Re;Birth 2: Story-wise, it's MK2 with some characters swapped out and a new alternate ending.
- Re;Birth 3: Details are only just coming up, but it seems to be like RB2 in that this will be reusing V's script, but it does promise to have a new post-game scenario and some other new events.
- PP/Noire/U: Self-contained spinoffs, as far as I'm aware.

Basically, you had it right. :lol:

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”