Megadimension Neptunia VII

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Havoctheend
New Vassal
New Vassal

Megadimension Neptunia VII

Postby Havoctheend » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:46 pm

So just curious on how this game differs from the original series on PS3 and do I need to play the Re:Birth trilogy before playing this?

Aushria
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Megadimension Neptunia VII

Postby Aushria » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:30 am

It's a sequel to Victory and has reference to Mk2. The Re;birth series is a separate entity altogether that sort of is the same, but at the same time isn't. You won't miss out on anything if you just jump into V II though, as it doesn't really follow after the previous two games plots, rather it simply makes nods to them; very subtle non-intrusive nods, while you get absorbed into it's story... which is more serious than previous titles.

V II is part of the "original" series, it's the next chronological game after MK2 and Victory, but those two titles hold no bearing on it's story. It simply takes place in the exact same dimension; for the most part, while the MegaDimension is a bit of a detour every so often; and featured at the beginning.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Aushria wrote:You won't miss out on anything if you just jump into V II though, as it doesn't really follow after the previous two games plots, rather it simply makes nods to them; very subtle non-intrusive nods, while you get absorbed into it's story... which is more serious than previous titles.

That's a bit of an inaccurate statement. You can get by without having played mk2/R;B2 and Victory/R;B3, but it very heavily and blatantly references those two games, especially in the first third of the game, less so in the last third, and completely closes the gap in the post-game.

Saying that they're subtle is like saying getting hit by a bus is just a bump on the noggin.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Aushria
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aushria » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:22 am

Daverost wrote:
Aushria wrote:You won't miss out on anything if you just jump into V II though, as it doesn't really follow after the previous two games plots, rather it simply makes nods to them; very subtle non-intrusive nods, while you get absorbed into it's story... which is more serious than previous titles.

That's a bit of an inaccurate statement. You can get by without having played mk2/R;B2 and Victory/R;B3, but it very heavily and blatantly references those two games, especially in the first third of the game, less so in the last third, and completely closes the gap in the post-game.

Saying that they're subtle is like saying getting hit by a bus is just a bump on the noggin.

I don't agree, at all. The game in and of itself is an independent story, the references to the previous two games are not "required' to understand what is going on, thus they are subtle and non-intrusive to those who have not played those previous titles.

The whole point I was making was that they don't have to play them because they won't really be confused when they encounter those elements— I hardly remembered a thing from those two and I still got the general idea of what was going on. You seem to have taken a vastly different meaning from my post though.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am

Again, I don't disagree that the references won't make or break the experience of someone new to the series.

But they are not subtle. They are incredibly blatant and the characters will even stop sometimes, especially in the Zero Dimension arc, to tell you about the previous games. That's not subtle, nor is it non-intrusive. Three characters in particular play a very big role in the game and are referenced in the past tense very frequently.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:43 am

If you're still interested in getting the game, it's on sale on PSN. $18 or $12 if you have PS+.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”