Will English version have big readable font for all text?

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!

Will English version have big readable font for all text?

Postby affinity7799 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:30 pm

all the text (conversations, menus, commands, etc.) should be large!

I feel this is important for thousands of SDTV users that can't afford an HDTV (plus, why spend $200 on a new TV when they one we have looks and works great?) I have played my share of HD games on PS3, and there are games out there that can still hold on to their HD resolutions, AND still provide big enough font sizes that are comfortable and readable on ANY type of television, not just HDTVs.

Take White Knight Chronicles for example, that's the only game I know that supports "Font Size Options!" You can actually choose the font size for everything! More games should have that feature if publishers are unable to size all of the font large enough to be readable on all SDTVs besides HDTVs.

Yes the TV industry is moving more and more towards HDTV, but the majority still don't own HDTVs, and even on HDTVs, some games still have unreadable font (like Dead Rising). that can really hurt the enjoyment of things, but yea I wonder if all of the font in the english version of Hyperdimension Neptunia will all be readable and comfortable on the eyes? Is NIS America testing the game on SDTV's too? Over 50% of console owners use a SDTV. Regardless, hardly anyone would buy a new TV right away to remedy unreadable text. But especially for an RPG/Strategy game, readable text is essential to fully enjoy the story, character interaction and even play effectively. Not all of the talking is voiced, so it helps if all the text is readable for all TV types. Well this is more of a question, the font stuff has probably already been finalized, but I'm sure NIS America is aware the significance of readable font sizes and thousands of people that own SDTVs. Making the font bigger wouldn't negativity affect HDTV users, in fact it would their eyes more relaxed reading too.
affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Will English version have big readable font for all text?

Postby vampko » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:21 am

I'm rather surprised people still own SDTV's :shock:
But, to be fair, larger font looks horrible on HDTV's and can't fit as well in the box, because it was originally meant to be that 'smaller' font. I'm not so sure the 'majority' of gamers still own SDTV's only. And, unless you are extremely adverse to quality, SDTV's DO NOT look 'great'. They may work well, but they look horrible compared to an HDTV. I haven't really seen any font as being 'unreadable' once I got an HDTV, and that is why I purchased an HDTV, to be able to read fonts and enjoy games how they were meant to be enjoyed.

Why should NISA make the font oversized just to support those who want to hold on to the past? It's not like HDTV's are THAT expensive. Sure, you can get an SDTV for dirt cheap (no one wants them anymore), but why not just save up enough money to buy the HDTV? I guarantee you, once you have an HDTV you will never want an SDTV again.
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby MizuMikomi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:59 am

affinity7799 wrote:Take White Knight Chronicles for example, that's the only game I know that supports "Font Size Options!" You can actually choose the font size for everything!

Uhhh White Knight Chronicles, the only game to feature changeable font? Haha, no. Tales of Vesperia says hi,. it had 3 text types, with the final one begin large enough to where I could see it on my old SDTV. (And yet I still played 13 playthroughs of that game practically killing my 360)

You can't tell me unreadable text makes a game un-enjoyable, I won't buy it, since I used to play games with small text on a day to day basis and it never bugged me. Now i have my own HDTV, and I love it, but will agree with Vampko, Large font + HDTV = do not want.

I am sorry if this bugs you, but a majority of gamers have learned to just deal with it. I know I did for so many years, and I know others have as well.

I am not trying to flame you I am just stating my opinion. =/
Eyeshield wrote:Pore, he is MIZUMikomi. Mizu is water. Water is formless, constantly changing shape, adapting to the surroundings... To succeed in life, one must be formless, like water... :ugeek:
MizuMikomi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 am

I've been there, having an HD console on and old SDTV, it's not pretty. So I can sympathize, but to have awkward text for HDTV owners to remedy this doesn't seem like a good idea, since I really doubt "majority" of people in general still own SDTVs. Plasma and LCD TVs have finally become mainstream and can be bought for dirt cheap. LEDs are the up and coming (which I own :P )

HD Vs. SD aside, I find the font chosen for the English screens to be a bit off as it is. It's odd, misplaced, and bit difficult to read. I wonder if NISA could be able to submit a different font to Idea Factory to use for readability purposes. :roll:
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!
lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby affinity7799 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:25 am

MizuMikomi wrote:You can't tell me unreadable text makes a game un-enjoyable, I won't buy it, since I used to play games with small text on a day to day basis and it never bugged me.

How can it not bother people having trouble reading the text? Especially in something where like, the majority of people play these games to read the story and things characters say (including the stuff that isn't voiced).

If people can't read what is said, then they miss a huge chunk of the experience and interaction.

Look at the text boxes in Hyperdimension Neptunia, the text boxes have enough room with font that is big enough for SDTV users to enjoy, and not too big for HDTV users.

The majority still use SDTVs these days. The poor outnumber the wealthy and financially secure. And even people with jobs and money would agree that it's a waste to buy a new TV just because a game isn't designed to read clearly on their own TV.

Well chances are the font will be decent enough to read on SDTV. I have played HD games on this TV and some are still very readable depending on the game and their font sizes. Ya I think it would help if Hyperdimension Neptunia has font option choices. But we'll see how readable it will be on SDTV.

My relatives have HDTV and while it looks good, games still look great on SDTV (and my SDTV is bigger than my sister's HDTV.) Maybe I don't have big standards for visuals but things look great and HDTV really makes things look a little better

but really nothing worth spending hundreds of dollars for while no longer using a good working TV that's right here already. I also like this SDTV because it has a built in VHS player, which is nice to record with sometimes. A friend likes to see tapes about games I play because they are more enjoyable to view than strategy guides.

well anyway, I think it's possible Hyperdimension Neptunia will have font size that is readable on both TVs types. We will see.
affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:57 am

Some games really do look bad and are difficult to read on SDTVs, take Fallout 3 for example, I couldn't read shi-anything and I originally played that on 360 with an SDTV. But I still have to think that most people by now own some sort of HDTV, they sell little 19" ones for under $200 where I live. Now let me tell you I'm in no way a member of the wealthy and financially secure populace. My income and expenses easily place me among poverty, I just happened to have made damn good money as a kid and spoiled myself.

Buying a brand new TV just to play games on isn't the problem here. My old SDTV broke down and I was forced to buy a new one, and for the price of an old TV I found a decent HD one so I grabbed it. Now my current TV isn't anything big but it's nice and I can easily play games on. If your SDTV is big and finding an equal replacement in HD is the issue then I can see your problem. Now I have no idea what I'm talking about now... :?

Anyways, I do hope NISA can do something to please all TV users. It's doesn't seem unreasonable to implement different fonts be able to accommodate everyone's TV preference.
Harvestasha!
lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:06 am

I wish I had an LED...
That aside. Yes, the poor may outnumber the finincially secure. But I'm one of those poor, and I got an HDTV by saving up money. Plus, there's A LOT more reasons to get an HDTV than just more readable text, Blu-Ray movies, and Video games look WORLDS better on them. Cable TV itself still hasn't caught up very well with the HD world, so I'm pretty sure what you saw wasn't anything that deserved to be called HD. While many may not see the difference between 720p and 1080p, you would have to be fairly blind to not see the difference between standard and 720p. 480p maybe, but not 720p. And, when did you get a TV for less than 'hundreds of dollars' when it wasn't out of date?

I can see that you want to hold on to your TV for as long as possible, and I used to be like that, but that's not gonna work that well the further game development gets. I still highly doubt that over 50% or even 50% of the gaming community only owns a standard TV. I don't really know any people that don't own HDTV's of some type anymore. That IS pretty neat that you can record your gaming sessions, but I believe they have built-in DVD recorders for the newer TV's now. So that means even more recording, and in higher quality.

And even a nice 19 inch TV will do great. I owned a 17 inch for a long time, and that worked just fine, except when I tried to translate games, Kanji DOES NOT show up well on smaller screens...So I now have a 32inch which I bought with a tax refund and it was only $249.
Here's a 19 inch 720P with free shipping for a mere 179.99 (no tax):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889136028
And I'm sure once the Christmas sales start, you could find yourself an even better deal.
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby LAMV » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 am

Hmm, I have a problem like this with Atelier Rorona. The text for dialouge is fine, but the text in the menu is tiny as hell.
LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 am

What kind of TV are you using? HD or SD?
Harvestasha!
lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:15 pm

I really wish all developers would include more than one font size in their games. My family has one HDTV in the living room that isn't a tiny one, but I still have vision problems and some text is still small or is a weird font, lowering readability. As for why people still have SDTVs, not everyone one can afford the right size TV they need such as one for a living room or they just have much more important things to spend their money on (food, bills, children, emergencies).
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel
shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:58 pm

lordryo wrote:What kind of TV are you using? HD or SD?

SD. So unfortunately I can't view my PS3 games in glorious HD (same with HD tv channels). But money's tight right now.
LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shinhawk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:29 am

lordryo wrote:Now let me tell you I'm in no way a member of the wealthy and financially secure populace. My income and expenses easily place me among poverty, I just happened to have made damn good money as a kid and spoiled myself.

Logically, I would think anyone who owns a PS3 these days should be financially stable enough to even afford the cheapest of HDTVs, but I guess it apparently isn't the case. I know there a lot of decent ones which are cheaper than the slim PS3.
A proud mark for Black Heart and Purple Heart.
shinhawk
Majin
Majin

Postby leinaud » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 am

shinhawk wrote:Logically, I would think anyone who owns a PS3 these days should be financially stable enough to even afford the cheapest of HDTVs, but I guess it apparently isn't the case. I know there a lot of decent ones which are cheaper than the slim PS3.

That's 'cause they spent all their money on the PS3 in the first place :lol:

Awaking in 2014...
leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby affinity7799 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 am

shinhawk wrote:Logically, I would think anyone who owns a PS3 these days should be financially stable enough to even afford the cheapest of HDTVs, but I guess it apparently isn't the case. I know there a lot of decent ones which are cheaper than the slim PS3.

Logically, not everyone would abandon a television they already own that works and looks fine. Why spend hundred(s) on a new TV when that money could be used to buy more games? or replace a worn out controller (which cost almost as much as games these days. A dual shock 3 costs $50! And with the recent psn update, some 3rd party controllers no longer work on PS3.)

spending on a new TV is almost like buying a new console, and that's an investment most wouldn't want to bother with. Gaming is meant to be simple, affordable and fun, not like having to upgrade some PC or repairing/replacing a car. People would not only have to deal with HDTV prices, but also cables that work with those HDTVs, settings, space, and the countless issues that can happen with HDTVs (some aren't visible from anywhere except directly up front. some have worse colors or darker, some more sensitive than other TVs, etc.) I'm not even sure if there is an HDTV that includes fill menus/config access without needing the remote control. Or if the screen is big enough. It's really not worth buying a HDTV if the screen is smaller than a TV already owned. But bigger the size, double the price.)

It's a nightmare buying the right HDTV, and affording one or choosing to invest so much in one, all for gaming.
affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 am

shinhawk wrote:
lordryo wrote:Now let me tell you I'm in no way a member of the wealthy and financially secure populace. My income and expenses easily place me among poverty, I just happened to have made damn good money as a kid and spoiled myself.

Logically, I would think anyone who owns a PS3 these days should be financially stable enough to even afford the cheapest of HDTVs, but I guess it apparently isn't the case. I know there a lot of decent ones which are cheaper than the slim PS3.

I bought my PS3 when they first came out, but I was making like $50,000 a year so it really wasn't anything to me. Now that I make well under half of that now I see where things can be tight. If Affinity's TV works just fine then he really doesn't have a reason to buy a new one if he doesn't want to.

When we talk about 'most of this' and 'majority of that' we're [NOT] including [EVERYONE]
Majority means the greater part of something, not all of. Some people don't fall under the majority, and therefore may still own an SDTV despite "most of" everyone else owning an HDTV.

Like I said before, it doesn't seem like too much of a hassle for NISA to accommodate all TV types. But then again, I may be wrong.
Harvestasha!
lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Next

Return to Hyperdimension Neptunia Series