Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby vampko » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:21 am

Lyner Barfless wrote:
affinity7799 wrote:http://nisamerica.com/games/neptunia/

The voices are wonderful!!!!! So kawaiii! x3 Aaaah love the music! xD So amazing!

THE LIMITED EDITION! 0.0;;;;;; NYA! x3 I will buy that! Yayyyy!!!! xD

well done NISA ^-^

The English voice acting is flawless! The voice talent should be happy! They will fill lots of homes with fun moments and smiles! ^-^ Even though its a teaser, I can tell the English voiceovers are phenomenol!!!!!
This is truly wonderful!!!!!!!!!! ^.^

Thanks! I think for people who listen to english voices, they will be very happy. Those who like the japanese voices, there are a lot of big names, but there's also a lot of high-pitched annoyances. Wear earplugs.

Spoiler:
Compa...>_<

I can't wait to hear more from this game. So far it really seems like you've got a great thing going.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:53 am

To me only Compa's voice got annoying. But Neptune sounds perfect in Japanese, I love it (one of my favorite seiyuus too :P )

But I have a good feeling for the English track of the game, I know I'll love it!
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!

Elysion Zero
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Elysion Zero » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:54 pm

I loved the Neptune trailer. I couldn't sit through the Neptunia trailer. The difference is that they tried to fix what wasn't broken by using the english voice acting. There's a reason Tony Oliver doesn't sing Reppu. Whatever it is, the fact remains that he wouldn't be able to match or surpass Tsuyoshi Koyama. Likewise, the english voice actors just can't match the elite japanese voice actors whose ham levels are over nine thousand. They make even little girls sound like hardcore badasses. And then the trailer went and did away with that. No, axlryder, you are not the only one who thought the trailer was pretty awful. Our reasons may be different, but it stands to reason that the cliche ridden dialogue would have been less insufferable without being spoken aloud in a language one understands. Unless the language one understands is Japanese. Because Japanese just sounds pretty damn cool. Fire Dragon ain't got jack on EnRyu. FU RIN KA ZAN!
Lowering the price of the PS3 to $150 is like mass producing the Big Zam. It's the greatest idea that will never come to pass. OH SHI-!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Elysion Zero wrote:I loved the Neptune trailer. I couldn't sit through the Neptunia trailer. The difference is that they tried to fix what wasn't broken by using the english voice acting. There's a reason Tony Oliver doesn't sing Reppu. Whatever it is, the fact remains that he wouldn't be able to match or surpass Tsuyoshi Koyama. Likewise, the english voice actors just can't match the elite japanese voice actors whose ham levels are over nine thousand. They make even little girls sound like hardcore badasses. And then the trailer went and did away with that. No, axlryder, you are not the only one who thought the trailer was pretty awful. Our reasons may be different, but it stands to reason that the cliche ridden dialogue would have been less insufferable without being spoken aloud in a language one understands. Unless the language one understands is Japanese. Because Japanese just sounds pretty damn cool. Fire Dragon ain't got jack on EnRyu. FU RIN KA ZAN!

Spoken like a true weaboo...
I like that one line best "but it stands to reason that the cliche ridden dialogue would have been less insufferable without being spoken aloud in a language one understands". Basically, the dialogue is superior, because you can't understand a lick of it, so you have no clue how bad/good it really is? Sounds like an amazing way to gauge something :roll:
And you can keep your ear grinding Compa-chan, while I have my NISA-fied Compa. Because you can't take her out of your party for quite a while. Oh, and that one battle cry that Neptune has really gets on my nerves. The one where she rolls her words a lot.
Look, it's okay if you don't like the English track, but insulting the dub this much is just plain rude.
And, FYI, knowing Japanese tends to give you a lesser opinion of the Japanese dub. Not necessarily making you not like it, but it really takes it off the 'superior' status so many like to put it in.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Sheleigha
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Sheleigha » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:09 pm

vampko wrote:Look, it's okay if you don't like the English track, but insulting the dub this much is just plain rude.
And, FYI, knowing Japanese tends to give you a lesser opinion of the Japanese dub. Not necessarily making you not like it, but it really takes it off the 'superior' status so many like to put it in.

I used to be like that too, long ago :p But guess what? Now I compare and contrast voices and some I like better for one, some I like better for the other! Example: Super Street Fighter IV Juri in Japanese >_> It is NOT fun hearing her yell "nyyAAAhAAA!!" everytime she does that one move >_> Well, the voice is good in the OVA, which never got translated, but she has a really good english voice!

Honestly, I think alot of the time people are spoiled nowadays with voice acting :/ Hearing anime from 20 years ago is hard sometimes... Or game-wise, Game Arts >_> Really, it's great what they did but the voice acting is hard to listen to! Or even go back to FFX compared to XIII (haven't played XII yet, so no comment on it yet).

Even the Pokemon dub (the original cast, that is) had almost identical sounding voices, just in english!

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Elysion Zero wrote:I loved the Neptune trailer. I couldn't sit through the Neptunia trailer. The difference is that they tried to fix what wasn't broken by using the english voice acting. There's a reason Tony Oliver doesn't sing Reppu. Whatever it is, the fact remains that he wouldn't be able to match or surpass Tsuyoshi Koyama. Likewise, the english voice actors just can't match the elite japanese voice actors whose ham levels are over nine thousand. They make even little girls sound like hardcore badasses. And then the trailer went and did away with that. No, axlryder, you are not the only one who thought the trailer was pretty awful. Our reasons may be different, but it stands to reason that the cliche ridden dialogue would have been less insufferable without being spoken aloud in a language one understands. Unless the language one understands is Japanese. Because Japanese just sounds pretty damn cool. Fire Dragon ain't got jack on EnRyu. FU RIN KA ZAN!

Posts like yours are why people hate JRPG and anime fans.

Alicia-tan
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Alicia-tan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 pm

LAMV wrote:

Posts like yours are why people hate JRPG and anime fans.

You can't deny that the Japanese voice over is most of the times better,or at least more accurate.Of course,there are the high-pitched seiyuus in games,but still the japanese voices make the game seem more natural,though people that refuse to listen to japanese voices won't get the chance to compare the difference in that feeling.

Wing_17
Peon
Peon

Postby Wing_17 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Some game suitable English voice --
Ex.
God of war , Metal Gear Solid

Some game suitable Japanese voice --
All J-RPG :lol:

Exception Prinny

DOOOD !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Elysion Zero wrote:...but it stands to reason that the cliche ridden dialolg...

What cliche ridden dialog? This was just a trailer, nothing was really said. Surely your not summarizing the whole script based on a few lines in the trailer.

Alicia-tan wrote:You can't deny that the Japanese voice over is most of the times better,or at least more accurate.Of course,there are the high-pitched seiyuus in games,but still the japanese voices make the game seem more natural,though people that refuse to listen to japanese voices won't get the chance to compare the difference in that feeling.

It should be noted that this is merely a personal opinion.
Harvestasha!

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 pm

Lordryo, what game is your avatar from if I may ask. (And just in case the avatar changes in the future, it's a pink haired braided twin-tailed girl with pink and purple dress, looking like she ate some bad chili.)

SilverCitizen
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby SilverCitizen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:47 am

LAMV wrote:Lordryo, what game is your avatar from if I may ask. (And just in case the avatar changes in the future, it's a pink haired braided twin-tailed girl with pink and purple dress, looking like she ate some bad chili.)

That would be from Disgaea 4.
Wing_17 wrote:Some game suitable Japanese voice --
All J-RPG :lol:

Even if the jrpg takes place in a non-Japanese speaking location? :|

lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:40 am

LAMV wrote:Lordryo, what game is your avatar from if I may ask. (And just in case the avatar changes in the future, it's a pink haired braided twin-tailed girl with pink and purple dress, looking like she ate some bad chili.)

Yes, my current avatar is of a character in Disgaea 4. Volcano is her name and I screen capped it from the trailer. Official artwork is a bit scarce. :?
Harvestasha!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:31 am

SilverCitizen wrote:
Even if the jrpg takes place in a non-Japanese speaking location? :|

Yeah, Sakura Wars was strange in Japanese because of all the supposedly people from all around the world speaking perfect Japanese IN NEW YORK!? That made ZERO sense, and I liked how they did everyone in the English dub(except Rosarita, but she didn't do a bad job, just for some reason I didn't like it. Maybe I'll try it again and like it)

Alicia-tan wrote:You can't deny that the Japanese voice over is most of the times better,or at least more accurate.Of course,there are the high-pitched seiyuus in games,but still the japanese voices make the game seem more natural,though people that refuse to listen to japanese voices won't get the chance to compare the difference in that feeling.

I always take a shot at listening to them both. And it varies which one I prefer. Some times even, I can't decide between the two, so i have to switch off and on. I generally have gotten to enjoy the NISA dialogue more because they manage to make things more interesting. I've seen a lot of spots where they missed the chance for a great joke, but NISA made sure to fill up that emptiness. I've also seen spots where they missed a chance to give more meaning to something said, and NISA made sure to drive home the point.
Look, the bottom line is the Japanese aren't perfect and neither are the English. But, the English have a stained past (the truly horrible dubbing of anime long ago). Video games have always been a step above anime dubs in my opinion. Some people hate the Lunar dubs. I enjoyed them greatly. Well, mostly the EBC one.

I've said it somewhere else but that 'more emotion' point lies in that Japanese is a musical language relying on syllabatry rather than individual sounds, which brings about a certain rhythm. This is what makes non-Japanese think that they sound so much better. Yet, once you realize what you're hearing, things aren't always so great.

Again, though, it's all opinion-based. We could argue this forever, but we'll probably never see eye to eye. I just ask that people stop bashing the English dub so much. A lot of us here like the English dubs, so please just leave it alone out of respect for the members of this forum. It's perfectly fine to say you don't like it though.
Spoiler:

LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:06 am

I have seen the trailer and the gameplay looked kinda boring, just cute girls walking/fighting in really bland environments, it's like they put all the their "brainpower" on the models and designs of the girl and nothing else, so I will not be getting this. But I have no doubt it is going to sell well for NISA, this is pure otaku bait after all.
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”