Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
User avatar
Lyner Barfless
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:06 pm
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby Lyner Barfless » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:39 am

Alicia-tan wrote:You can't deny that the Japanese voice over is most of the times better,or at least more accurate...


Define "more accurate." That doesn't make sense to me. More accurate match between design and voice? That's merely influenced by what you see/hear first and that association is built into your subconscious. As someone said, this is all entirely personal opinion.

LAMV wrote:
Elysion Zero wrote:Blah blah blah random opinionated negative comments with no constructive or conversational merit.


Posts like yours are why people hate JRPG and anime fans.

I bestow upon LAMV an e-cookie, redeemable for one cookie. Plus I will name an NPC whatever he/she wants in an upcoming game so long as it's not offensive or too ridiculous (I've already promised a Jasloppy to someone).
日本だけため Vert: "Oh, my... To think that someone posted a falsehood on an Internet message board!" 日本だけため
Image

User avatar
Sheleigha
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2741
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 am

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby Sheleigha » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:30 am

Lyner Barfless wrote:I bestow upon LAMV an e-cookie, redeemable for one cookie. Plus I will name an NPC whatever he/she wants in an upcoming game so long as it's not offensive or too ridiculous (I've already promised a Jasloppy to someone).


I am soooo jealous here :p Especially after missing the XSEED contest they had for one >_>

User avatar
XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8216
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby XCronoX » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Damn weeaboos, get off my lawn!!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
robeduriv
Majin
Majin
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 am

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby robeduriv » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:59 pm

About the summons, is Sonic among them and do you actually see an attack performed by them? For example, Sonic spin dashing against an enemy or something.
Image

User avatar
lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10454
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:34 am
Location: With Kokonoe ♥

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby lordryo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:21 pm

No Sonic is not among one of the summons and no the character does not perform the attack, but rather just appears on the screen during the attack.
Image
Image
Image
Image
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 4791
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby LAMV » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:55 am

Oooh, I get to name an NPC? Hmm, other anime and RPGs get referenced a lot, but I don't see much references to Atelier or Ar Tonelico games. Maybe an NPC after one of the main characters from either series? Like the name of a bar or tavern is Liner's Barstand, run by a guy that never takes off his armor. Or a girl named Acirua who does nothing but angst, angst, and more angst.

Oh, and I'm late for this, but thank you to the folks that answered me about the pink-haired girl avatar. I didn't recognize her at first.

User avatar
Alicia-tan
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:10 am

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby Alicia-tan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:37 am

Lyner Barfless wrote:
Alicia-tan wrote:You can't deny that the Japanese voice over is most of the times better,or at least more accurate...


Define "more accurate." That doesn't make sense to me. More accurate match between design and voice? That's merely influenced by what you see/hear first and that association is built into your subconscious. As someone said, this is all entirely personal opinion.

No,there are many times when I first hear the English dub,but it still doesn't feel "right",so I switch to the Japanese and I'm ok.I don't know how to explain it properly,but the Japanese voice actors can make the character feel more realistic,while the English actors just use their distinctive accent to effectively kill the character,making him lifeless/doll-like.Never said all English voice actors are inferior,it's just that the most times the Japanese part feels more like it.It's like they know how the character exactly is and imitate him,so it comes out better.And it's not that I know Japanese,so the language barrier isn't a drawback in any way,I can just hear them and they sound more natural.

Of course,I never said this is a fact.As someone else mentioned,it's only my personal opinion.Maybe I've been forcing my opinions on others lately,however this is for the sole fear that games without dual audio come out.Once one like that comes out,and if the voice acting is weird,it kills half my enjoyment,and I stop playing it after a while.//shameless rant

Not sure that others are as dependent on the sound part of anything in life as I am though...

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby vampko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:26 am

Alicia-tan wrote:
Lyner Barfless wrote:
Alicia-tan wrote:You can't deny that the Japanese voice over is most of the times better,or at least more accurate...


Define "more accurate." That doesn't make sense to me. More accurate match between design and voice? That's merely influenced by what you see/hear first and that association is built into your subconscious. As someone said, this is all entirely personal opinion.

No,there are many times when I first hear the English dub,but it still doesn't feel "right",so I switch to the Japanese and I'm ok.I don't know how to explain it properly,but the Japanese voice actors can make the character feel more realistic,while the English actors just use their distinctive accent to effectively kill the character,making him lifeless/doll-like.Never said all English voice actors are inferior,it's just that the most times the Japanese part feels more like it.It's like they know how the character exactly is and imitate him,so it comes out better.And it's not that I know Japanese,so the language barrier isn't a drawback in any way,I can just hear them and they sound more natural.

Of course,I never said this is a fact.As someone else mentioned,it's only my personal opinion.Maybe I've been forcing my opinions on others lately,however this is for the sole fear that games without dual audio come out.Once one like that comes out,and if the voice acting is weird,it kills half my enjoyment,and I stop playing it after a while.//shameless rant

Not sure that others are as dependent on the sound part of anything in life as I am though...

Well, NISA is one company that has been very good about always keeping dual audio, so you shouldn't be worried. I like both, and want both, and NISA is the only company that consistently will satisfy this, and many companies won't even bother to satisfy this. This is one reason I really like NISA, they give us the option for both, and don't try and force us to like something (IE Atlus USA, saying that it's an insult to have dual-audio >_<)
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Re:Am I the only one who thought the trailer looked pretty a

Postby affinity7799 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:50 am

well in a way, dual audio is an insult if you look at it from Atlus USA and the entire region perspective.
Demanding dual audio is like saying one's native language or nation is too incompetent or untalented enough to deliver good and fitting voice overs! Think of the hard work and paid employees that deliver the english voiceovers and do this for a living! choosing Japanese track over theirs is like a slap! ^^;

Ya based on perspective, people can label some voice acting as bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulbotKa5LnM

But most people demand dual audio because a foreign language is what they believe will liberate them from being able to identify good or bad voice overs (so if they can't tell if its bad, then they presume its good). But that doesn't necessarily mean the english is bad, just their perspective on things! I mean, it's not like a voice director normally hires their family to do voice overs in games!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
You rarely see that happen! If ever!

And yes, if people are used to listening to watching subs for the anime and stuff they watch, then English starts to feel foreign to them, so it's really an artificial stigma of preferring Japanese over English.

But in reality, the English voiceovers are just as great! People just have to get used to it and not be so dependant on a foreign language to feel the voice fits. So far based on the trailer and stuff, the English voices do fit and are performed really well! ^-^

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Re:Am I the only one who thought the trailer looked pretty a

Postby vampko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 am

affinity7799 wrote:well in a way, dual audio is an insult if you look at it from Atlus USA and the entire region perspective.
Demanding dual audio is like saying one's native language or nation is too incompetent or untalented enough to deliver good and fitting voice overs! Think of the hard work and paid employees that deliver the english voiceovers and do this for a living! choosing Japanese track over theirs is like a slap! ^^;

Ya based on perspective, people can label some voice acting as bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulbotKa5LnM

But most people demand dual audio because a foreign language is what they believe will liberate them from being able to identify good or bad voice overs (so if they can't tell if its bad, then they presume its good). But that doesn't necessarily mean the english is bad, just their perspective on things! I mean, it's not like a voice director normally hires their family to do voice overs in games!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
You rarely see that happen! If ever!

And yes, if people are used to listening to watching subs for the anime and stuff they watch, then English starts to feel foreign to them, so it's really an artificial stigma of preferring Japanese over English.

But in reality, the English voiceovers are just as great! People just have to get used to it and not be so dependant on a foreign language to feel the voice fits. So far based on the trailer and stuff, the English voices do fit and are performed really well! ^-^

I mainly like having the option for the Japanese voiceover, because I like both of them. I don't think one or the other is superior, and I like seeing how each of them perform the role. It's nowhere near an insult to be asking for both to be include. It would be an insult to demand only the Japanese voice over. I think it's amazing how NISA handles the extremely fickle and unpleasable otaku/JRPG crowd. People will go flat out and say their dubbing sucks, and they'll just say you'll be happy to know that the full Japanese audio will be included. THAT is some tactful PR. Atlus USA would probably either ignore that person entirely, or flame them, or go on about how it's an insult to the English VA's to say that.

But, when it's someone like myself just wanting the option of both (it's a great way to increase replay value, having seperate playthroughs for English and Japanese), it's hardly an insult to the English VA's or the rigourous process Atlus USA went through for the dubbing.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Elysion Zero
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 pm
Location: A series of tubes
Contact:

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby Elysion Zero » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Dual audio would have worked wonders for the english trailer. One for the dubbies, and another using the Japanese character voices for the few, the proud, the people who acknowledging the fact that Japanese voice actors are damn good at what they do.
Lowering the price of the PS3 to $150 is like mass producing the Big Zam. It's the greatest idea that will never come to pass. OH SHI-!

User avatar
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 16942
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am
Location: Cuddling with Coco

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby Rednal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:12 pm

I do generally approve of Japanese VA's, actually... but at the same time, Neptunia seems like a game that has a lot of humor put into it, and I think that some good English VA's would do a lot of positive things for helping the game to sell well. Though, that really is just my opinion.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29
Image

User avatar
Lyner Barfless
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:06 pm
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby Lyner Barfless » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Elysion Zero wrote:Dual audio would have worked wonders for the english trailer. One for the dubbies, and another using the Japanese character voices for the few, the proud, the people who acknowledging the fact that Japanese voice actors are damn good at what they do.


That's actually not a bad idea. In this trailer's case, we just retook the footage but followed the same layout as the original Japanese one, so we'd just have to replace the text graphics for the sub crowd. I wonder if the trailer-compilin'-crew would be receptive to this idea!
日本だけため Vert: "Oh, my... To think that someone posted a falsehood on an Internet message board!" 日本だけため
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby vampko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Lyner Barfless wrote:
Elysion Zero wrote:Dual audio would have worked wonders for the english trailer. One for the dubbies, and another using the Japanese character voices for the few, the proud, the people who acknowledging the fact that Japanese voice actors are damn good at what they do.


That's actually not a bad idea. In this trailer's case, we just retook the footage but followed the same layout as the original Japanese one, so we'd just have to replace the text graphics for the sub crowd. I wonder if the trailer-compilin'-crew would be receptive to this idea!

Like I said, you guys/gals handle the otaku/JRPG crowd better than I've seen anywhere else. And I think that would be a great idea. But you probably don't need to keep on doing sub/dub dual trailers. Although that could help, be a sort of marketing angle. A 'we respect your opinion, whether you want the original Japanese audio, or an English Dub", which could help to bring in more potential buyers. It's hard to say though.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10454
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:34 am
Location: With Kokonoe ♥

Re: Am I the only one who thought he trailer looked pretty awful

Postby lordryo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Is there really a point in having a Japanese trailer for the English version of the game? There are plenty of Japanese trailers if one wants to hear the Japanese voices.
Image
Image
Image
Image
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!


Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests