Is this game any better than Trinity Universe?

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
SorrowsNeptune
Geo Master
Geo Master

Is this game any better than Trinity Universe?

Postby SorrowsNeptune » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:00 pm

This question is of course geared towards those who have played both Trinity Universe and the Japanese version of Hyperdimension Neptunia.

I liked Trinity Universe and all, but to be honest in retrospect it really didn't seem worth the 100 hours I spent playing it. (Or, at least I think it was 100 hours.)

What are the differences between Hyperdimension Neptunia and Trinity Universe? Are they similar or different? If it plays exactly like Trinity Universe, than I'll probably go ahead and cancel my pre-order for this game and play something else.

The two main things I want from Hyperdimension Neptunia is this: A solid satire on the gaming industry, not just a generic JRPG plot but with moe anthropomorphic gaming consoles; and actual exploration outside of dungeons. Does Neptunia deliver those two things and if not does it do anything to make up for it?

vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Is this game any better than Trinity Universe?

Postby vertical09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 pm

should be better than trinity universe(even though trinity universe was fun) plus not only the the story seem good but the trailers i seen the action looks pretty darn good to(i havent played jp version so this is bias only)
plus the super moe chracter models will diffently make up for it...either way its gonna be a good game.
edit:btw u shouldnt really ask others what they think about a game..u should play it yourself...lots of people makes reviews based on there opinions,,,,,,,,,,,,,picture this...a hardcore fp shooter gamer playing this...of course it leads to a bad review...the only one who can really decide is you.(words of god)lol

leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby leinaud » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:26 am

wait for Vampko's answer, he has played the JP version of Neptunia and can at least tell you more about it.

Awaking in 2014...

Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:07 am

I would just watch the trailers. Youtube has a lot of them. xD

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:38 am

Lyner would be able to explain to you the humor, as I'm not the localizer. As for battles, they play much different than Trinity Universe. First of all, you have the Circle, Cross, and Triangle buttons that are used for attacking. You have so much AP, dependant on levels and on the character. You have a list of attacks. You can map these attacks to buttons. It's just too difficult to explain it, but basically, you make your own combo system, and there are some attacks that are called 'link combos' (may be different in the EN version) which let you continue your combo further (as long as you have AP left). Now, one large difference between this and TU, is that you aren't under time-constraints in battle. Your AP only gets used when you use an attack, not while you're deciding which attack you want to do. So, you could press the cross button, wait five minutes if you wanted, and then press the cross button again. And you will only have lost the AP that it cost to press cross>cross. Anyways, you have four slots, and you could press say 'circle, cross, square, cross' and pull off a combo. If that last cross had been a link combo, you could continue your attack. If not that's the end of that attack. But, your turn isn't over until you either run out of AP, can't possibly do anything more with your AP, or end it. So, you could start another attack if you have enough AP. Though, usually you wouldn't want to stop attacking an enemy and would utilize link combos, unless they already died. Then, there's a very different kind of item sytem. I haven't completely figured it out, but basically, you can't just choose to use an item. See, outside of battle you have a menu you can go into where you can allocate points towards item skills. The most you can allocate towards a skill, is 100 points. each point accounts for a percantage. This is the chance that that item skill will activate. Now, how item skills work, is you grab red, blue, and green bottles as you explore dungeons (or you can buy them). These are ingredients used for alchemy of sorts. Anyways, item skills will use any combination of these bottles to activate an effect (oh, and each character gets different item skills). And, there's a trigger which activates the use of the skill. Like, one could be at the beginning of a character's turn, as long as the character's HP is below a certain amount. And these item skills do different things besides just healing, like one for Nep Nep that I found very useful which powers her up for the whole battle (she did almost double damage with it O_O), and of course the standard status ailment cures.

Outside of battle, the gameplay's prettty similar to TU. You choose a dungeon to go to, or choose an event scene to watch (which can sometimes lead to a battle), and explore around that dungeon. There is no overworld. While you're exploring, each character has an ability that is used for exploration. IFchan has the ability to search for hidden treasures, much like how RIz and Kanata could. Nep Nep has the ability to break down obstacles. And Compa-chan has the ability to summon a set of monster battles (which, when you clear, the dungeon becomes devoid of fights, much like when you finished a hunting spot on TU), and to fight a special boss monster, which is similar to a lurker. But, you only fight them if you use Compa's ability while near a black swirl of energy. Now, all of these abilities CANNOT be spammed. They have cooldowns. It's not very long, so it's just more of a mechanism to add a sense of urgency (at least in my case, it may just be a slight annoyance for other people. It's really not all that long). Many of the dungeons look similar to TU's, but they are more polished.

The character models have been much improved from TU, and they kept the same kind of talking system from TU.

That's about all I can say on the matter, as Lordryo could say much more because he beat the game. I played it a bunch, then learned it was being localized, and just never really got back into it. Especially after I heard Compa's English voice. Her JP voice made me wanna claw my ears out...
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

SorrowsNeptune
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby SorrowsNeptune » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 pm

So aside from the battle system, the games pretty much plays like Trinity Universe? Eh, okay. I'll just take a chance and get this game, since it does sound at least a little better than TU. And I did like TU. Thanks Vampko!

Now the only thing I would want answered is if whether it actually succeeds as a satire on the gaming industry, or if it's just some moe festival.

Also: Upon actually doing some research myself, I found this "Fan-powered Q&A" which briefly talks about the differences between HN and TU: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/17/si ... qa-part-1/
It pretty much just says what you said Vampko, but in less detail.

vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vertical09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 pm

is moe bad O.o

Uiru
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Uiru » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I see Sega, Gust, Nippon Ichi, Compile Heart and Idea Factory, and I feel a chill.

I just don't have $60 to blow on another massive stinker right now (oh hai Cross Edge). I mean, I tolerated Last Rebellion. That was actually a decent game; I don't know why they felt it necessary to apologize for THAT one, when turds like Cross Edge and Ar tonelico 2 exist. Low budget does not automatically equal 'bad'. Being intentionally designed to be tedious equals bad.

I've got friends who *insist* that Trinity Universe was better than Cross Edge, but I still haven't been able to bring myself to try it. I like the look of what I've seen of HN, but are these companies planning on riding N1's coattails forever? (And Sega, hah. There is nothing Sega cannot ruin. Poor VC...)

Guess I'll go look at a trailer or something.

...well, I guess it's a good thing that not every character is a sexualized eight-year-old? Are secondary sexual characteristics really that much to ask for?
~Uiru

Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:34 pm

What's Trinity universe about? :D

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Sounds like Neptune's battle system sounds tight. Only things I'm not sure about:

- (Minor thing) Using X, Circle, Triangle for attack buttons instead of X, Square, Triangle like in Trinity Universe. X/Square/Triangle are generally the primary buttons for action. Circle tends to be used for guarding or other misc. things. That's what I believe, anyway. It would take me a bit of getting used to since my thumb more comfortably and more quickly presses Square than Circle.

- I hope the automatic item skill thing doesn't cost me a battle. I hope at least that the girls have healing specials of their own that costs AP.

- I hear you can't heal outside of battle, which is total bullcrap. What the hell, IF/CH?

SorrowsNeptune
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby SorrowsNeptune » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm

vertical09 wrote:is moe bad O.o

Well, moe isn't bad or anything, I'm just not much of a fan of it. So if being filled with moe characters is this games strong point, than that's not really a justifying a reason for me to purchase it.

Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Well I was interested in the whole all female cast so I guess that's one reason I want it ^^' But the concept is fun too :3

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:24 pm

LAMV wrote:Sounds like Neptune's battle system sounds tight. Only things I'm not sure about:

- (Minor thing) Using X, Circle, Triangle for attack buttons instead of X, Square, Triangle like in Trinity Universe. X/Square/Triangle are generally the primary buttons for action. Circle tends to be used for guarding or other misc. things. That's what I believe, anyway. It would take me a bit of getting used to since my thumb more comfortably and more quickly presses Square than Circle.

- I hope the automatic item skill thing doesn't cost me a battle. I hope at least that the girls have healing specials of their own that costs AP.

- I hear you can't heal outside of battle, which is total bullcrap. What the hell, IF/CH?

You can't heal outside of battle, and none of them have healing magic. Square is used to escape from battles, which requires an item. I know you probably won't like those answers, but it really is a much more fun system than it seems.

And your welcome to the OP. I'm glad I could help out. I just wish I knew more about it so I could explain other things.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

voice of the gods
Vassal
Vassal

Postby voice of the gods » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 am

I have a few questions that I would like answered by anyone if possible:

1. does the healing chances increase if you have better ingredients or a higher potion percentage?

2. does the 2nd row character have to be switched in or do the 1st row member have to be knocked out to have them participate?

3. do the 2nd row characters gain exp if the don't fight?

other than that this seems really similar to trinity universe and I really like that game.
I am the one that calls down the gods wrath
I am the one that decides the fate of all worlds
I walk among all to judge their worth in life here and after
Can you earn my trust and your salvation?
Come and face your fate!!

zatrox
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby zatrox » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:33 pm

LAMV wrote:Sounds like Neptune's battle system sounds tight. Only things I'm not sure about:

The healing system seems REALLY odd, and it's honestly the only thing that could do some kind of psychological harm to me, as I have a minor OCD of kinds to ALWAYS have my characters on full HP...

And well, the frustration of dying is there, too.

Moreover, I'll ask something, too: How's the Random Encounter rate, if anyone who has played the game could tell me? Mainly 'cause I've heard some complaints 'bout it. And, what about the lack of playable characters, and the overall pace of the game? Is there any obligatory grind you must do to defeat a boss or something? What about the side-quests, how are they usually done?
四百二儒十燃やせ
[21:15:19] <zatrox> what the fuck is wrong with you, vampko
[21:15:23] <CirnoThe9> EVERYTHING

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”