Gamspot User Review...

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Gamspot User Review...

Postby Rednal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am

By "animu", I think the reviewer meant the highly anime-esque style of the game. Which is pretty much the same as every other JRPG, I might add, so if that's the complaint, I think it's safe to say they just don't like RPG's from Japan. Which pretty much invalidates their whole review, considering that starting with "I hate this genre" isn't going to convice anyone that you're a credible reviewer...
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vertical09 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Rednal wrote:By "animu", I think the reviewer meant the highly anime-esque style of the game. Which is pretty much the same as every other JRPG, I might add, so if that's the complaint, I think it's safe to say they just don't like RPG's from Japan. Which pretty much invalidates their whole review, considering that starting with "I hate this genre" isn't going to convice anyone that you're a credible reviewer...

o thx for clearing that up.
but now im more mad at the reviewer for some reason.....its people like that that makes game companys bring in less jrpgs

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:04 pm

He's just a single user out of tens of thousands. Who cares what he thinks? If you're looking for professionalism, user reviews obviously aren't where you should be looking.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 pm

It's sad that the western games get higher ratings than the japanese ones...in most cases.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 pm

It's rather logical that Western companies are more likely to make games that Westerners would like, and likewise with Japanese companies (all other things equal). I don't see the inconsistency here.
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Yeah but JRPGs are more entertaining to me ^^ That's probably why they get bad reveiws..I know most western games aren't popular in Japan or are they? O.o

Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Venus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 pm

magusgs wrote:It's rather logical that Western companies are more likely to make games that Westerners would like, and likewise with Japanese companies (all other things equal). I don't see the inconsistency here.

Quoted for emphasis.
PSN: Rena-chan43
XBOX Live: Renachan43

vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vertical09 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Alura--x--Uneii wrote:Yeah but JRPGs are more entertaining to me ^^ That's probably why they get bad reveiws..I know most western games aren't popular in Japan or are they? O.o

based on the anime i watched where people give refrences to wastern games/movies...it must be popular out there...but I personally would pick a japanese game over western...i mean seriously..all we make are fps these days

MizuMikomi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby MizuMikomi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Rednal wrote:By "animu", I think the reviewer meant the highly anime-esque style of the game. Which is pretty much the same as every other JRPG, I might add, so if that's the complaint, I think it's safe to say they just don't like RPG's from Japan. Which pretty much invalidates their whole review, considering that starting with "I hate this genre" isn't going to convice anyone that you're a credible reviewer...

Actually....

Urban Dictionary wrote:3. Animu

A word used used by people who don't like anime to mock Anime and people who talk about it too much.

It's not very "offensive" though. A more offensive word would be weaboo or wapanese.

Basically he hates the style, premise, and the fact its a Japanese game being released in English, meh, I ignore idiots like this... its better that way.
Eyeshield wrote:Pore, he is MIZUMikomi. Mizu is water. Water is formless, constantly changing shape, adapting to the surroundings... To succeed in life, one must be formless, like water... :ugeek:

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Alura--x--Uneii wrote:I know most western games aren't popular in Japan or are they? O.o

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/w ... mes-japan/

“Japan’s never been very receptive to foreign games,” says Gwyn Campbell, who works for a major game publisher in Tokyo and is the host of a gaming podcast with other expatriates. “The term ‘foreign game’ is traditionally an insult — it means ‘low quality.’”

The anti-Western prejudice is deeply ingrained in the minds of Japanese gamers, who traditionally favor handheld devices like the Nintendo DS over high-powered consoles like the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Yo-ge, kuso-ge, goes the saying: “Western game, shit game.”

Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm

magusgs wrote:
Alura--x--Uneii wrote:I know most western games aren't popular in Japan or are they? O.o

“Japan’s never been very receptive to foreign games,” says Gwyn Campbell, who works for a major game publisher in Tokyo and is the host of a gaming podcast with other expatriates. “The term ‘foreign game’ is traditionally an insult — it means ‘low quality.’”

The anti-Western prejudice is deeply ingrained in the minds of Japanese gamers, who traditionally favor handheld devices like the Nintendo DS over high-powered consoles like the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Is that a yes or no? XD

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 pm

It's a Western games aren't popular in Japan answer.
Last edited by shymel94 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:11 pm

When people review games like this they always keep some high budget game in their mind to compare it too. I love nice graphics and all but it takes so much more than that to create a good game. So sad some people can't see this.
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!

lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Alura--x--Uneii wrote:
magusgs wrote:

Is that a yes or no? XD

That would be a no.
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!

Alura--x--Uneii
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Alura--x--Uneii » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm

lordryo wrote:When people review games like this they always keep some high budget game in their mind to compare it too. I love nice graphics and all but it takes so much more than that to create a good game. So sad some people can't see this.

Yeah for me it's the story and characters. ^^ Even if people say the ones in JRPGs are anime chliche's.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”